The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

05/01/2023

Aldershot Town are delighted to confirm the permanent signing of Oliver Pendlebury from Farnborough on a deal until the end of the season.

The central midfielder has caught the eye in the Vanarama National League South this season and developed a reputation for his goals from outside the box – including a free-kick in their FA Cup defeat to Wrexham.

The 20-year-old started his career in Reading’s youth ranks, picking up a number of England youth appearances, before a move to Wycombe Wanderers. He made four appearances in League One and scored two goals –  both in a win over Cheltenham Town.

There's no point in having any kind of positivity or negativity about next season.  Full squad not assembled, we could have good players in or they could be shite.  

See where we are when the league kicks off. 

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

There's no point in having any kind of positivity or negativity about next season.  Full squad not assembled, we could have good players in or they could be shite.  

See where we are when the league kicks off. 

Confused The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

We might be shite. We might be amazing. We might be somewhere in between.

10 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

However come what may we are now an established Championship who will soon have a St Johnstone esq revenue stream from our shiny new corporate facilities in our shiny new stand . The operation is moving in the right direction for the first time in decades . Enjoy it . Even the road bumps of which there will be more .

In reality terms the English 5th and 6th tier are most likely above our Scottish L1 in terms of quality and there's certainly much more choice.

The problem teams like ourselves have is that if we were merely to operate within Scotland then we'd find ourselves in direct competition with clubs who have much more spending power and are also geographically more appealing to a large percentage of players. As such we'd end up with the dregs.

As far as Loans are concerned, it's a case of having a "mate" or "connections" within certain clubs which tend to get you first choice on players, we were lucky in this regard with Aberdeen when McCall was here and McInnes was up there but currently we don't appear to have any tie ups with the Old Firm or Edinburgh clubs who are more likely to send their players out locally to Dunfermline / Raith etc.

Morton did great back in the 70's, 80's and 90's when they had all their Scandinavian players and I always thought that Eastern Europe (especially Poland) could be a good market to try and exploit but of course Brexit put paid to all of that, big style !!

As it is, our guys are trying to find bargains wherever they can and the likes of Dipo only confirm that it's more than possible, of course there's going to be failures as well (like there would in any market we shop in, including Scotland) but we can only hope that we end up with more Dipo and Tommi's than Gondoh's but only time will tell.....

I’m not bothered about O’Connor going but he is the only one of the three wide players we have that can make any kind of impact off the bench. If we keep the others as squad players instead, then it has worsened our bench/squad options. 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Have we got a fee for him if he was Under contract? A cracking piece of business if so. 

I’m almost certain he was out of contract but there seemed to be some question marks whether or not the option to extend was up to him or us. 

I suspect it’s been a mutual parting of the ways to allow him to go back home. 

Not surprised he's moved on, given the total silence about him triggering a contract extension and the fact rumours about Glentoran started back in January.  I doubt there's any real fee involved here, probably for the best that he gets to move on. 

Bullen clearly didn't rate/trust him and maybe there was a feeling that he wasn't likely to develop much further.  Can't imagine he'd have liked to stay given the limited gametime, seemed to be the first to be dropped or subbed.  Had some really good impacts off of the bench, but didn't get it right in the final third all that often.  

Definitely a better player than Ashford or JML, so I wonder if we might see them moving on/being loaned at some point this summer.  

I don’t see JML or Ashford going, JML can be frustrating but I think he works best as an impact sub (note first away game last season At Arbroath) as for Ashford he’s at the very least versatile and runs for days and comes back to help defend 

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

Not surprised he's moved on, given the total silence about him triggering a contract extension and the fact rumours about Glentoran started back in January.  I doubt there's any real fee involved here, probably for the best that he gets to move on. 

Bullen clearly didn't rate/trust him and maybe there was a feeling that he wasn't likely to develop much further.  Can't imagine he'd have liked to stay given the limited gametime, seemed to be the first to be dropped or subbed.  Had some really good impacts off of the bench, but didn't get it right in the final third all that often.  

Definitely a better player than Ashford or JML, so I wonder if we might see them moving on/being loaned at some point this summer.  

Daire was frustrating and definitely didn't hit the heights that he seemed capable of, however I'd totally agree that I'd rather we kept him as cover than either JML or Sam.

Hopefully this frees up some cash to bring in another body and one who's going to be rated as a starter.

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Great to see Daire away, just a waste of time player.   

He was ok in spells, good impact player and a rare ball carrier in the squad.

Laterally he was a waste of a jersey, against Thistle he looked lost, slow and was one of the players hiding. 

As it stands I make it 7 out and 5 in, is that right ?

Out

Houston, McAlear, MacAdams, Maguire, Kirk, O'Connor, Mullin.

In

Stanger, Mutch, Murphy, Amartey, Pendlebury.