The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

54 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

At least if the match is shite, you can go into ASDA so that it isn't an entirely wasted journey.

Didn’t that ASDA get voted the worst in the UK?? I’m fairly sure there’s no public toilet in it either. it’s basically the equivalent of Auchinleck with their Tesco.

1 minute ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Didn’t that ASDA get voted the worst in the UK?? I’m fairly sure there’s no public toilet in it either. it’s basically the equivalent of Auchinleck with their Tesco.

Probably. It is pretty shit.

Auchinleck Tescos at least has a toilet.

26 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Will no doubt regret this as an Aldi shopper. But, what is the parking situation up at Townhead? Mostly there in my head to trudge along.

Not 100% sure (I'm not from Cumnock and am not in Cumnock much despite living near it) but if all else fails then there's a shitey dirt car park across the bridge from ASDA and Townhead Park.

29 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Will no doubt regret this as an Aldi shopper. But, what is the parking situation up at Townhead? Mostly there in my head to trudge 

If you can't get in at Asda, the new shopping center (I use that term loosely) next to Farmfoods is a 5 minute walk or the flats at the top of the hill just past the juniors social club.

4 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

If you can't get in at Asda, the new shopping center (I use that term loosely) next to Farmfoods is a 5 minute walk or the flats at the top of the hill just past the juniors social club.

Christ a shopping centre aswell, Cumnock has more going for it than Ayr now.

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Christ a shopping centre aswell, Cumnock has more going for it than Ayr now.

When I say a shopping center I mean a big building with 2 empty shops and a farm foods, Its slight upgrade on the old junkie ridden Mall that was there for years.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Subs should have a massive impact at any level of the game. You rarely win a match without an impact off the bench.

Overall its the first league cup game and there are other players to come in apparently, on that I'd think it'll take a number of weeks to integrate give or take 6 new players into the squad too.

Not pretty or great by all accounts yesterday (though mattman's highlights do show some ok attacking play), we move onto Tuesday sitting well placed in the group.

The guy is a clown, it's pointless even engaging him as I learned a few years back.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Will no doubt regret this as an Aldi shopper. But, what is the parking situation up at Townhead? Mostly there in my head to trudge along.

Loads of parking , car park at ground and loads of off street parking 

5 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Naw no this debate again 

It was brought up at the Q&A and I think a lot of people, including Mathie get the confused/mixed up with what the discussion actually is. It’s not people looking to get the bus for free/subsidised. It’s looking at the club running a bus/buses and having it at a cost where it is met by those travelling. Have online payments like they have previously (QOS game as mentioned on the night) and if numbers by X days before don’t meet the requirement for covering the bus then cancel. Try it on certain occasions where they think there will be demand etc as a test to see how it works. I wouldn’t imagine it would work for every away game, but Thistle in the play offs and Falkirk away were examples they would have filled a bus. 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

It was brought up at the Q&A and I think a lot of people, including Mathie get the confused/mixed up with what the discussion actually is. It’s not people looking to get the bus for free/subsidised. It’s looking at the club running a bus/buses and having it at a cost where it is met by those travelling. Have online payments like they have previously (QOS game as mentioned on the night) and if numbers by X days before don’t meet the requirement for covering the bus then cancel. Try it on certain occasions where they think there will be demand etc as a test to see how it works. I wouldn’t imagine it would work for every away game, but Thistle in the play offs and Falkirk away were examples they would have filled a bus. 

That's for a traditional supporters bus for away games though, not because the club decided that the cheapest option for a temporary home ground is literally in a different council.

Thoughts on yesterday player's performance

Albinson: Not much to do, saved the two penalties

Watret: looked decent going forward but a bit suspect at the back

Stanger: took a while to get into it but looked alright overall

McGinty: usual route one stuff

Reading: not as bad as most of last season but not great either

Dempsey: thought he was dreadful yesterday. Always sideways and backwards, no killer forward passes

Murdoch: so so, did alright but nothing exceptional

Smith: thought he was trying to take control of the midfield but apparently we don't want to play with any sort of midfield

McKenzie: thought he was half decent out wide but was useless in a more central position

Amartey: thought he did alright with what he was given but was given nothing from midfield

Murphy: looked our biggest threat with a lot of their defenders standing off from him

Bryden: changed our attacking threat when he came on but still get annoyed at his constant running outwide in possession rather than into the box

Hewitt: did ok but nothing much

Ecrepont: was hoping to see more to compare him to Reading. Got a couple of decent crosses in

Ashford: for me was the game changer. Looked a threat, admittedly against a tired Stirling defence and actually had a shot which lead to the goal

Pendlebury: hard to critique him when we apparently aren't interested in a midfield

1 minute ago, AllySloan said:

Ashford: for me was the game changer. Looked a threat, admittedly against a tired Stirling defence and actually had a shot which lead to the goal

There was an old SNK football game where the easiest way to score was to hit it straight at the keeper as hard as possible and then tap in the rebound. That should be Ashford's main strategy.

Just now, Thumper said:

There was an old SNK football game where the easiest way to score was to hit it straight at the keeper as hard as possible and then tap in the rebound. That should be Ashford's main strategy.

If Amartey or Bryden are there for the tap in, I'm all in for that 🤣🤣

I see all the usual lazy stuff about Cumnock getting aired I’ll tell you this, it doesn’t look as bad as Ayr High Street currently does and there are far fewer empty buildings in the town. It has seen steady improvement as a town, largely due to Dumfries House Estate and local regeneration, while Ayr is on a death spiral. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

My recollection is that Smith owns the hub but all the income goes to the club.

The North Stand will be slightly different in that Smith will pay for it, the club will own it as it'll have the asset on its books but loans to Smith will increase by an equal amount.

Ultimately he's covering the costs and he's the only owner in my recollection who has delivered what he said he would off the pitch. Many chased fantasies of new stadiums. Somerset Park is looking and feeling better. The hub is a good addition (if a little on the small side). There are loads of upgrades to the stadium (toilets, changing rooms, board room, gym etc, the carpark).

That's not to say everything is rosey but he does deserve credit for what he has done.

There has been some good adjustments to the old place in the last year or so. The car park was like an off road track before it was resurfaced. Then there is the new NT to look forward to.

All well and good but Somerset Road exterior always annoys me. So gloomy and Soviet-esque. Would we be allowed to put a mural there? I'm sure some local artist or students at the college could brighten the place up a bit. Unsure if it's a council concern considering it's on a road, (unlike Killie who have the murals)

3 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

I see all the usual lazy stuff about Cumnock getting aired I’ll tell you this, it doesn’t look as bad as Ayr High Street currently does and there are far fewer empty buildings in the town. It has seen steady improvement as a town, largely due to Dumfries House Estate and local regeneration, while Ayr is on a death spiral. 

Cummnock is a cowp. Nobody is relishing the fact that it is. It's state is pretty much reflective of the fate of most small ex mining/post industrial towns throughout Scotland which is a travesty and a complete sin. Whatever "steady improvement" there is has been from external investment farted down from the royal family in the form of Dumfries house, and a bit of redistributive spending from central government. It's a town kept on a drip.

And if Ayr is in a "death spiral", then Kilmarnock must be a festering corpse. It's fucking rancid.