The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

35 minutes ago, railwayend said:

I see Thistle have just announced striker/winger Wes McDonald . I wonder if he is one that got away !!

3 goals in his last 58 games tells me he's not exactly prolific !!!

9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

In all seriousness, how did we go from Dipo to McKenzie?  It’s not like we didn’t have plenty of notice he’d be away.

It's Dipo to Rose as McKenzie was always there.

30 minutes ago, Nelson said:

In all seriousness, how did we go from Dipo to McKenzie?  It’s not like we didn’t have plenty of notice he’d be away.

We’ve not thought have we? We’ve literally signed another striker to replace him. 

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's Dipo to Rose as McKenzie was always there.

Well yeah, but he was also always completely ineffective as a centre forward.  It’s not like that reality has suddenly crept  up on us.  Not at all sure that Rose represents a straight swap for Dipo - seems more like a faster more mobile type who’ you’d like to see playing off a strong target man.  

6 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Well yeah, but he was also always completely ineffective as a centre forward.  It’s not like that reality has suddenly crept  up on us.  Not at all sure that Rose represents a straight swap for Dipo - seems more like a faster more mobile type who’ you’d like to see playing off a strong target man.  

Bullen has said he wants more goals in the team and not to just have the one guy scoring, if Rose can get 10 to 15 and Murphy, Amartey, McKenzie and Fraser pick up 5 to 10 each and the midfield chip with some its going to be better than knowing stop one player you stop the full team.

19 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Bullen has said he wants more goals in the team and not to just have the one guy scoring, if Rose can get 10 to 15 and Murphy, Amartey, McKenzie and Fraser pick up 5 to 10 each and the midfield chip with some its going to be better than knowing stop one player you stop the full team.

Let’s not get too carried away with 5 - 10 for Bryden and McKenzie! I would be amazed if either got five league goals tbh. 

Just now, Superhursy7 said:

McKenzie has barely scored 10 goals in well over 100 appearances for the club, so not sure why he would suddenly become so prolific.  

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Did you not notice the saga in actually getting him a mutually beneficial transfer?

Ayr punched above their weight last season. This season was absolutely never going to be a promotion push. The club took a part-time player for nothing and he carried them to a 500k prize packet before departing for half that again. There was no danger Ayr were going to use that money on transfers rather than dip into the same market for hidden gems again.

[edit] Admittedly starting with Bryden and McKenzie after that really does show how lucky the club was last season. Hopefully Rose is the real deal.

Edited by Thumper

I think my main concern is that we are soon going to be two league games into the new league season and where have we actually improved compared to our strongest starting side last season? As in the one with Chalmers. 

Murphy is an upgrade on Mullin, but that’s about it. 

Pendlebury might be a decent option, and is still young so plenty of hope there for the future but definitely wasn’t the central midfielder we needed if that was all we were planning on bringing in. 

In January last year we all talked about areas needing addressed, such as an attacking central midfielder and obviously the full back areas. Neither have been addressed. 

We really do have some serious business needing done, and soon. If we start with Bryden and McKenzie on Saturday, I’ll be amazed if we somehow managed to win.