The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

It’s a step up from Scottish championship both in wages and quality of football

Nonsense. Guesswork from you I suspect.

You do know Scunthorpe are in the National League North?

To think our fans are literally frothing at the mouth at the speculation of somebody coming to us from the National League South. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I genuinely thought Scunthorpe were still a League One club. What the f**k has happened to them? 

A generous owner kept them afloat during the good times in the early 2000's. Next owner wasn't as free spending and had a problem with an unpaid tax bill that led to a winding up order. Also some issues over unpaid wages.

Club was sold to new owners last season who embarked on some serious cost-cutting. Scunny is now more stable but need time to rebuild. They have a very loyal fan base and do a lot of good work in the community, especially in local schools through Study United. I worked in a school in Scunny a few years ago and was surprised how many of the kids followed them and attended regularly, mainly down to the links built by Study United.

34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Crystal Palace are two levels above Reading. 

I don’t think that has much bearing on how good their youth players are. 

He could be a Malachi Boateng or he could be a Ruben Sammut. Point is he deserves a fair shot before people write him off. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think that has much bearing on how good their youth players are. 

He could be a Malachi Boateng or he could be a Ruben Sammut. Point is he deserves a fair shot before people write him off. 

It does have a bearing - they seem at similar stages of breaking into a first team but they are two levels apart. 

Of course he deserves a fair chance, and he’ll get that. The general point is that our business, particularly in the central midfield area is far far too risky. 

7 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Well if we were interested obviously Scunthorpe were paying more than us 

I’ve not seen anywhere that we were interested - but even if they are able to pay more than us I’m not sure how that means the sixth level of English football is better than the championship. 

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It does have a bearing - they seem at similar stages of breaking into a first team but they are two levels apart. 

You're splitting hairs for no real need.

Both clubs have excellent youth academies and are light years away from us, regardless of what league they're currently in. That's what really matters.

Edited by BukyOHare

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course he deserves a fair chance, and he’ll get that. The general point is that our business, particularly in the central midfield area is far far too risky. 

I don’t think Boateng is near Crystal Palace’s first team at all. He’s two years older than Senga and last year was his first taste of senior football. 

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You're splitting hairs for no real need.

Both clubs have excellent youth academies and are light years away from us, regardless of what league they're currently in. That's what really matters.

Possibly - I don’t think it’s a big deal, youth academies at different levels can obviously have equally good players. It remains to be seen with this one. Regardless - the point remains about the risky nature of all of our business. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think Boateng is near Crystal Palace’s first team at all. He’s two years older than Senga and last year was his first taste of senior football. 

Yeah, I know - I just meant they were both at similar stages in terms of both playing in EFL cup games for their sides but that was it. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Possibly - I don’t think it’s a big deal, youth academies at different levels can obviously have equally good players. It remains to be seen with this one. Regardless - the point remains about the risky nature of all of our business. 

Yeah, I know - I just meant they were both at similar stages in terms of both playing in EFL cup games for their sides but that was it. 

Ah fair enough. 

I don’t think anyone can look at the signings we’ve made in midfield and not be concerned but I think it’s more to do with timing and money rather than those players being our preferred signings. We’ve had to get bodies in quickly and these were likely players that Glendinning or Bullen had knowledge of that we could get in before the deadline. Had Pendlebury stayed and Murdoch and Dempsey stayed fit we’d likely be sitting here waiting on a better calibre of striker and left back coming in as those were the positions we needed most. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ah fair enough. 

I don’t think anyone can look at the signings we’ve made in midfield and not be concerned but I think it’s more to do with timing and money rather than those players being our preferred signings. We’ve had to get bodies in quickly and these were likely players that Glendinning or Bullen had knowledge of that we could get in before the deadline. Had Pendlebury stayed and Murdoch and Dempsey stayed fit we’d likely be sitting here waiting on a better calibre of striker and left back coming in as those were the positions we needed most. 

Yeah, that is possibly the case or will at least be playing a part. I’ll hopefully be able to get a stream tomorrow, to ease my fears a little! Young looked like he could offer something, so if one of the other two could just be of good championship level! If they aren’t up to it, we are into scary territory though given the weaknesses in the full backs areas and an unproven striker too. 

As discussed earlier, Bullen’s comments in the press conference have become far stranger though!