The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The fact we have got Chalmers and Dowds on loan. I take it their two parent teams don't expect us to be much of a threat this season. 

Is it not more a case of them being able to hurt their opposition but not play against the parent. I don't see the downside for the parent clubs.

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The fact we have got Chalmers and Dowds on loan. I take it their two parent teams don't expect us to be much of a threat this season. 

If we end up being by Christmas time by some miracle they'll both be getting recalled in January...

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be keeping the 433 and using Rose and Chalmers either side of Dowds. Rose looks like a far better wide option than striker for me. Murphy in a free role on the left of a midfield three alongside Senga and Young. 

I agree with the first part, but I’ve seen nothing from Rose to have him playing in front of McGeady, or even Amartey in that role!

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Don't really care tbh as long as they both play well for us. 

If they are both rotten for us and their parent clubs dont rate them then it's poor from all 3 clubs for having signed them for this level in the first place. 

We've not seen too much of Rose as a fan base yet but it's fairly obvious he needs a strike partner (not named McKenzie or Bryden).

Bullen has plenty of players at his disposal now so there's no excuses going forward. Although Dowds can't play, Friday will be a real acid test of the team as we've had 10 days to prepare for Thistle, a team we know all too well. 

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be keeping the 433 and using Rose and Chalmers either side of Dowds. Rose looks like a far better wide option than striker for me. Murphy in a free role on the left of a midfield three alongside Senga and Young. 

Would Rose go hiding in the middle of we played him wide? 

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Is it not more a case of them being able to hurt their opposition but not play against the parent. I don't see the downside for the parent clubs.

Takes a wage away too.  If you play one up front and have both Graham and Adeloye (sorry haters) then you have two of the best centre forwards in the league competing for a place.  Why pay another ? 

Dowds started really well for us, had a decent goal return for the number of minutes he played and then he picked up an injury. For whatever reason he seemed to lose confidence and Doolan put him on as sub only a handful of times. He might be the kind of player that does fine everywhere but Firhill. 
So far, apart from his goal at Morton, Adeloye hasn’t really turned up for Thistle, I don’t think. He certainly doesn’t do the harrying that Graham does.

11 hours ago, jagfox said:

Good opportunity for Dowds. Gives Ayr a point of focus for the attack and I could see him hit double figures with the players he will have in support.

Graham arguably best forward in the league so understand why he didn’t get much game time.Dowds had a terrific goal per minute ratio ( think he scored 7 goals as sub up to Dec). New manager comes in and clearly doesn’t fancy him.

if Ayr get out of him what Campbell did at Arbroath - think he got Championship player of the month whilst  there- Ayr will have made a smart signing. 

Really good lad from EF days and wish him well.

35 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

East Kilbride announcing a striker today, wonder if Bryden would be a loan option for them.

Would hope he'd go to a higher level than EK, ideally L1 or 2 for me. He has shown some flashes at Championship level, so I'd think dropping to tier 5-6 would be far too low down the pecking order for a decent development opportunity. 

11 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Would hope he'd go to a higher level than EK, ideally L1 or 2 for me. He has shown some flashes at Championship level, so I'd think dropping to tier 5-6 would be far too low down the pecking order for a decent development opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

That's probably about right for where he is right now.  

Would say their team are of a League 1/2 quality and going to scoosh that league.  Go there and scoring goals for fun would get him more confident.

Highly doubt it will be him going mind you.

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Would say their team are of a League 1/2 quality and going to scoosh that league.  Go there and scoring goals for fun would get him more confident.

Highly doubt it will be him going mind you.

I don't think they'll be keeping it up all year.  Needs to go out and learn positional discipline, trapping a ball and how to use the strength he has.  The rest will come.   

But right now he's got too many key deficiencies that basically haven't improved in almost 2 years in the first team.  

I'd be getting Tomlinson working with a sprint coach as well cause that running style will hold him back.  

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

East Kilbride announcing a striker today, wonder if Bryden would be a loan option for them.

48 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

That's probably about right for where he is right now.  

I think I agree with this, he is miles off it technically. 

28 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I don't think they'll be keeping it up all year.  Needs to go out and learn positional discipline, trapping a ball and how to use the strength he has.  The rest will come.   

But right now he's got too many key deficiencies that basically haven't improved in almost 2 years in the first team.  

I'd be getting Tomlinson working with a sprint coach as well cause that running style will hold him back.  

EK are a good passing side, I think he would learn tons there in terms of his hold up play - which is awful. Saying all that - I don’t actually think they would want him…

I do hope he goes somewhere with good coaching staff though, so he can kick on - whoever it is will be PT, and he can still train with us and work with McGeady.

ETA - I actually forgot about the obvious McGeady link to EK, so could well be the case…

Edited by No_Problemo

From how Dowds describes himself he could be the man to allow the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 to work.

It’ll need to be another year of being direct, but it is what it is. I don’t actually mind as long as it is direct and playing from there, as opposed to just aimless. Hopefully the new central midfielders can at least provide the battling qualities to allow for it.