The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

34 minutes ago, WalkerMcCollsAvenue said:

To categorise any of the abuse shouted as 'constructive criticism' is disingenuous at the very least. It's all variations of sreaming "you're shite" and trying to insinuate that it's in any way acceptable or could have any mitigating factors only highlights the neanderthal mentality that's still deemed to be just a 'part-of-fitba'. Screaming abuse at anyone doing their job (usually to the best of their ability) can only have negative outcomes. We've all seen players freeze or try too hard as a consequence of being singled out. And yet, the attitude of "I've paid my money, I can say what I want" (which was spat back at me earlier this season from an abuser in the stand when I questioned it) seems to still be the default setting. Hence why I'll be at fewer games this season as it's almost impossible to escape the vitriolic screamers anywhere in the ground now.

It’s also the fact they the vast majority are hilariously thick and it’s just so hard to listen to without telling them to f**k off. 

Within ten seconds it can range from “get the ball in the box” from our own 18 yard line to complaints about not passing the ball - obviously with a lot more abusive stuff thrown in.  

Why is it though that other sporting environments and dare I say entertainment venues don't suffer from the same level of perma-raging abusive stress bags that football grounds do? 

Perhaps, and stay with me here...there are people who don't go to games anymore, don't bring their kids, or women largely don't bother, not because of the price, or because of the quality of football, but because they simply cannot be fucked with the above? 

45 minutes ago, WalkerMcCollsAvenue said:

To categorise any of the abuse shouted as 'constructive criticism' is disingenuous at the very least. It's all variations of sreaming "you're shite" and trying to insinuate that it's in any way acceptable or could have any mitigating factors only highlights the neanderthal mentality that's still deemed to be just a 'part-of-fitba'. Screaming abuse at anyone doing their job (usually to the best of their ability) can only have negative outcomes. We've all seen players freeze or try too hard as a consequence of being singled out. And yet, the attitude of "I've paid my money, I can say what I want" (which was spat back at me earlier this season from an abuser in the stand when I questioned it) seems to still be the default setting. Hence why I'll be at fewer games this season as it's almost impossible to escape the vitriolic screamers anywhere in the ground now.

The players aren't trying to make mistakes and some are clearly under pressure and not responding too well, so shouting more at them is certainly not going to help.

Being honest the only time I'd ever shout at my own players is when it's obvious that they aren't interested or willing to work for the team, ultimately I expect every single one of them to have professional pride and go out and try their best but if they do that and it's not good enough, then so be it, I certainly wouldn't ever hold it against them.

Nick McAllister is probably the best example of this, ultimately he's not very good as a footballer but he always tries his heart out and it's not his fault that the club didn't sign a competent replacement so guys like him deserve nothing but praise even if they aren't going to be world beaters.

Hopefully all goes well tonight, but as always I go into the game fearing the worst but hoping for the best as is often the way of it as an Ayr United fan.....

3 hours ago, WalkerMcCollsAvenue said:

To categorise any of the abuse shouted as 'constructive criticism' is disingenuous at the very least. It's all variations of sreaming "you're shite" and trying to insinuate that it's in any way acceptable or could have any mitigating factors only highlights the neanderthal mentality that's still deemed to be just a 'part-of-fitba'.

Sorry but this is bollocks. There's a treadmill of feedback which goes from unconditional love and support through to the ugly stuff. Even when you look at e.g. Chris Aitken, a figure who received infamous levels of unwanted advice from the stands, the majority of it was people shouting at him telling him to do what they'd like him to do (pass it to player X, put it wide, etc) and it was only the odd nimrod who just stood all game and yelled "you're shite Aitken" at him. Even at Firhill most of what was yelled in the direction of the fullbacks was encouragement, peppered with the occasional "f**k's sake". What was being said at a lower level in the stands was a hell of a lot harsher.

Anyway, I already have tonight down as another capitulation, so any deviation from that will put me in a better mood this weekend. One can only hope that Bullen's press conference absence was due to him being knee-deep in crayons and string trying to figure out a master plan to win a game with no central midfield, no fullbacks and no strikers.

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

A chance to do some good, loud booing.

Thoroughly enjoying my streak of booing recently. Arbroath and Falkirk leading up to GSTK on Tuesday being the highlight of my booing career. Tonight seems a splendid opportunity to continue so I don’t see why not.*

*Decision to attend may have already been made.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

One can only hope that Bullen's press conference absence was due to him being knee-deep in crayons and string trying to figure out a master plan to win a game with no central midfield, no fullbacks and no strikers.

I’ll hazard a guess.

Spoiler

Hard. Work.

8 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

His testimonial match isn't until the 24th mate.

He could and should have played at a higher level, but he was playing Junior level until he was 26. He was one of the most inspired signings we have ever made though, and is my favourite ever Ayr United player. A bonafide club legend.

I wish he was still playing for us tbh. He'd still be our best forward.

Hope it's a massive success. 

It's a shame that he didn't settle in Dunfermline (think his partner was pretty vocal about not enjoying the house move). But for the time we had him he was such an intelligent footballer, I've said it before but I have no idea how he changed so rapidly as a footballer, I thought we were getting a goalscoring number 9, and instead we got this fantastic number 10. I thought with his coaching role at Ayr he'd have stayed in the dugout. 

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It's a shame that he didn't settle in Dunfermline (think his partner was pretty vocal about not enjoying the house move). But for the time we had him he was such an intelligent footballer, I've said it before but I have no idea how he changed so rapidly as a footballer, I thought we were getting a goalscoring number 9, and instead we got this fantastic number 10. I thought with his coaching role at Ayr he'd have stayed in the dugout. 

my assumption is he still wants to play football which is why he's went to Glenafton on a permanent (as it seems the manager doesn't see him as Championship level anymore) but would hope the door is open for him to come back to Ayr in some sort of backroom capacity 

Edited by muZZa__44

1 minute ago, HoBNob said:

He was a number 9 in his first spell with Ayr but came back as a number 10 and a much improved all-round player.