The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

37 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

O’Reilly who’s out of contract at Raith would be ideal if we could somehow convince him. Can play CB and cover LB I think. 

Scored a double in a derby win for the league leaders on Tuesday. Appreciate the optimism but not sure he'll be overly keen on jumping aboard Bullen's OceanGate adventure

1 minute ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Scored a double in a derby win for the league leaders on Tuesday. Appreciate the optimism but not sure he'll be overly keen on jumping aboard Bullen's OceanGate adventure

Frustrating that Raith signed him in November, given we knew Musonda would be off to AFCON and Stanger had just dislocated his shoulder you have to wonder what the f**k we were doing. 

This is a low point for me. I've supported Ayr for 3 decades. Success isn't why I support this club. It's in my bones.

I don't know if it is the hope that's killed me or the absolute dross on the pitch that's done it but this just seems different.

I seen us going down the pan at Christmas last year and nothing has changed. I'm a just a punter but I've not been wrong about what I've seen happening. Anyone could see it.

I've seen us go from the big punt up to Dipo to playing out from the back with players who just can't do it. We've no identity, no fight. We're lacking leadership, on the touchline and on the park.

I love this club, my kids love this club. U spend a fortune supporting this club. I want more.

I'm gutted I'm working on Saturday because thats a bigger day to me than a cup final. I'll be in work screaming my fkn head off.

14 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Yes, he 'resigned' indeed.

The chairman was pretty honest about not being ready to sack him but reflected that going separate ways was the right thing. 

Don't think there's an issue with what he's said here but that's not the language of someone who has allowed someone to resign to protect their reputation (lololol) for potential future employment. 

Screenshot_20240104-232050.png

1 hour ago, Scott-ish said:

This is a low point for me. I've supported Ayr for 3 decades. Success isn't why I support this club. It's in my bones.

I don't know if it is the hope that's killed me or the absolute dross on the pitch that's done it but this just seems different.

I seen us going down the pan at Christmas last year and nothing has changed. I'm a just a punter but I've not been wrong about what I've seen happening. Anyone could see it.

I've seen us go from the big punt up to Dipo to playing out from the back with players who just can't do it. We've no identity, no fight. We're lacking leadership, on the touchline and on the park.

I love this club, my kids love this club. U spend a fortune supporting this club. I want more.

I'm gutted I'm working on Saturday because thats a bigger day to me than a cup final. I'll be in work screaming my fkn head off.

My son has been to nine games at Somerset. Saturday will be his tenth game watching Ayr. He has never seen Ayr win at Somerset.

Who's fault is that?

Should we blame the government? 

Should we blame society?

Or should we blame the images on TV?

No! Blame B.G.M!

Think this is what we should be aiming to do this month.  

Loans

• Young - Extend. 
  • Senga - No extension.
  • Ahui - Return to club. 
  • Chalmers - hope/pray. 
  • Dowds - Confirmed staying.

Signed

• Ecrepont - Confirmed away
  • Rose - Try to mutual. 
  • Tomlinson - Find loan.
  • Watret - Find loan.  

Id struggle to see anyone else going, may still happen but it'd be a surprise.  

That leaves us short in both full back positions, one down in midfield (we were carrying two extra) and one (maybe two) less up top.  

• Left back - An Eddie Malone type - can play full back and can cover left centre back. 
  • Right back - Just try to upgrade on Ahui - free hit as it'll at worst be the same. 
  • Central midfielder - no replacement.
  • Striker/right wing - I'd leave this until Chalmers is cleared up, if he stays then a striker with pace, if he goes we need a left footed attacker that can help get us up the park. 

In terms of low points there have definitely been worse times than this. Roberts spell was probably the worst for me but even when we had Hopkin/Duffy I felt less enthusiastic about going to Somerset. 

No doubt we’re not doing great on the park but if this league has told us anything it’s that teams can turnaround very quickly. It can come down to signings or a change of manager but it doesn’t take a lot to turn it round. The stuff we’re doing quite well at is the stuff that doesn’t happen very often as it requires a huge amount of time and effort and a lot of money and that’s the off the field stuff. The difficulty is getting both aspects of the club on a level with each other. We had this issue a few years ago when we had a squad that was almost ready to go up but off the field we were probably closer to a junior outfit than professional one. I think a change will occur and hopefully it lifts us a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

My son has been to nine games at Somerset. Saturday will be his tenth game watching Ayr. He has never seen Ayr win at Somerset.

Who's fault is that?

Should we blame society?

No! Blame B.G.M!

My boys have supported Ayr since they could decide that's what they wanted to do.  My 18 year old goes home and away. I take my youngest and a car full of his pals to away games when I can.

I've seen folk saying that those who criticise aren't real fans. They've no idea how mad that makes me.

I've grown up watching mediocre shite. I expect better for my kids. 

I don't think K***lie are a bigger club than us and never will. But look what they've achieved.

The small club mentality has to stop. Finishing 2nd should never be the aim but finishing 9th seems to be out current goal. It's not good enough.

6 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Who's fault is that?

Should we blame society?

No! Blame B.G.M!

MAB!

Lumii_20240105_005133800.png

7 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

My boys have supported Ayr since they could decide that's what they wanted to do.  My 18 year old goes home and away. I take my youngest and a car full of his pals to away games when I can.

I've seen folk saying that those who criticise aren't real fans. They've no idea how mad that makes me.

I've grown up watching mediocre shite. I expect better for my kids. 

I don't think K***lie are a bigger club than us and never will. But look what they've achieved.

The small club mentality has to stop. Finishing 2nd should never be the aim but finishing 9th seems to be out current goal. It's not good enough.

Kilmarnock are reaping the benefits of what happened in the 90s. There’s no doubt they invested in their team and managed to win the Scottish Cup in 97. During that period there attendances would’ve grown as people want to support a successful club especially when they have no real loyalty to a team beforehand. What that leads to is a generation of supports that go to that team rather than being led to one of the OF up the road. They’re a bigger club in the sense of where they are now and their past achievements of a cup and having a long period uninterrupted in the top flight. But I think it’s understated how important that period of immediate success was of tying supporters down for years to come. The same thing has happened at Motherwell after they had success a few years prior and I’d wager in years to come St Johnstone will benefit from there cup double that happened a few years ago. 

It’s entirely different in Ayr. We gambled for a period and it nearly killed us and we saw no reward for that. As a result the only fans you’re really going to hold onto are those who have been going to Somerset for donkeys years or those who were introduced by a family member or a pal. 

I don’t think there is a small time mentality around the club. I don’t think that exists at football clubs as much as fans say it does.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kilmarnock are reaping the benefits of what happened in the 90s. There’s no doubt they invested in their team and managed to win the Scottish Cup in 97. During that period there attendances would’ve grown as people want to support a successful club especially when they have no real loyalty to a team beforehand. What that leads to is a generation of supports that go to that team rather than being led to one of the OF up the road. They’re a bigger club in the sense of where they are now and their past achievements of a cup and having a long period uninterrupted in the top flight. But I think it’s understated how important that period of immediate success was of tying supporters down for years to come. The same thing has happened at Motherwell after they had success a few years prior and I’d wager in years to come St Johnstone will benefit from there cup double that happened a few years ago. 

It’s entirely different in Ayr. We gambled for a period and it nearly killed us and we saw no reward for that. As a result the only fans you’re really going to hold onto are those who have been going to Somerset for donkeys years or those who were introduced by a family member or a pal. 

I don’t think there is a small time mentality around the club. I don’t think that exists at football clubs as much as fans say it does.

Short term success definitely makes a difference in a long term fan base. As the DKBs love to tell us though, we've WFAANW. 

I'm sick of that. You only need to look at a lot of the comments online and what's said at Somerset park to see folk are resigned to us being shite.

I've never been that person. I want success. I want my kids to experience success.

There is a huge potential 'glory hunting ' fan base open to us. It's there in the OF fans and in the Scotland fans who've now reappeared since we're doing better.

It's football. That's what happens. It takes success to breed success.

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think a change will occur and hopefully it lifts us a bit. 

It needs to, as the last three managers have been killing the enthusiasm with their brand of turgid football. The football has been eye bleedingly bad for 3 and a bit seasons now, especially at home. That starts to wear you down.

I'm still in two minds as to whether I go on Saturday. Season ticket be damned, its so fucking pish to watch and I really can't be bothered with the 2.5 hours travelling. Fucking grim.

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It needs to, as the last three managers have been killing the enthusiasm with their brand of turgid football.

Ehhhhh. Plenty of people wanted rid of McCall during relegation and Kerr didn't work out. There is a balance between style and results. If someone came in and did a Reid-esque job of grinding out results and getting gritty performances out of limited players (fwiw McCall did a lot of this himself) they'd be fine. Last season is a very big outlier in that only the baldest people in the support thought things were actually going well post-Halloween despite, y'know, finishing second. But it's good to be very careful what one wishes for in wanting regime change for the sake of style if results are okay.

Obviously the current board position is to let Bullen limp along until the North Stand is finished and then hopefully crack on with the next phase of the plan. If he finishes eighth then a lot of people will consider it job done. The problem is that last season has amply indicated that you're not going to get out of the Championship by giving Lee Bullen better players.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I'm still in two minds as to whether I go on Saturday. Season ticket be damned, its so fucking pish to watch and I really can't be bothered with the 2.5 hours travelling. Fucking grim.

I was against going because of my aggression towards Bullens bullshit. It took my 8 year old son to show me that it could be converted into humour.

Become one of Ayrshire's finest Bards. We shall sing songs of baldy nappers, tell tales of Legendary Gilets from the land of O'Neill's, we shall all have a merry time shouting profanity and obscenities before we burn thy BGM at a conveniently placed crucifix on the centre of whitletts roundabout, after our team have been slaughtered by Travellers from the North. 

20240105023642.jpg