The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The 2 teams that got relegated under Reid kind of blend into one for me.  I think the first one was pretty pish apart from Ryan Stevenson - his second effort was a bit better, though as Mark Roberts observed, playing Michael Moffat at left midfield all season was criminal (might be one of the few things he got right!).

The 2009-10 team actually looked pretty good for a while after the January transfer window and got some good wins, and then the wheels came off.

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The 2009-10 team actually looked pretty good for a while after the January transfer window and got some good wins, and then the wheels came off.

I vaguely recall it was a horrible winter with umpteen postponements which led to us having to play a tonne of midweek games towards the end of the season which basically killed a part time squad.  I’m pretty sure we were about 10 minutes away from staying up on the last day of the season up at Morton until we lost 2 late goals that relegated us.  

11 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Three points from the last nine games.

Another thing Bullen doesn't do as well as Brian Reid is completely implode.

Reid done alright considering we were a part time outfit operating on a shoestring budget with, effectively, a Junior backroom set-up. And (maybe my memory is playing tricks on me here) the standard of football from everybody else in the league wasn't as diabolically bad as it currently is. We finished about where you'd expect to in the Reid years.

What's galling now is watching Bullen making an arse of it as a full time outfit with with a more "professional" set up in a league of incredibly poor quality.  When we're finally in a position to do something halfway decent, we're stuck with this total no-mark. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

It's contempt for the fanbase at this point tbh. Come out and say you are backing the manager if that's your intent. Instead of the shitebaggery of not saying anything and hoping it'll all just work out.

I suppose I’m in a minority but I rarely see the point statements like this. Unless he’s been sacked what do we expect them to say?

The “vote of confidence” is so closely associated with the manager’s impending sacking that it probably does more harm than good.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

I vaguely recall it was a horrible winter with umpteen postponements which led to us having to play a tonne of midweek games towards the end of the season which basically killed a part time squad.  I’m pretty sure we were about 10 minutes away from staying up on the last day of the season up at Morton until we lost 2 late goals that relegated us.  

We reached the Scottish Cup semi finals that season and were also in the relegation dogfight until two or three games to go.

We were playing four games in a week at the end. 

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We reached the Scottish Cup semi finals that season and were also in the relegation dogfight until two or three games to go.

We were playing four games in a week at the end. 

Think that was the 2011-12 team.  But as I said earlier, that whole era just blends into one for me.  I still say Reid did well given his threadbare budget.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

When was the last time the club was relegated as a completely full time team? Under Money?

That was my first time seeing us relegated. I remember thinking we would skoosh the league and come straight back up again. How wrong was I?

got to put up 1972/23 team who got to Scottish Cupsemi-final and lost 2-0 to Rangers on a horrible wet night which did not suit Ayr, we hammered Partick 5-1 in quarter final with JohnDoyle taking the proverbial p oot them, tha'st right LB we can beat Partick !!!! if Ayr do not win on saturday LB has to go draw is not acceptable. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I suppose I’m in a minority but I rarely see the point statements like this. Unless he’s been sacked what do we expect them to say?

The “vote of confidence” is so closely associated with the manager’s impending sacking that it probably does more harm than good.

Aye it’ll only make the club look worse if they empty him after the Arbroath game. 

Just now, Honest Dunbar Man said:

if we lose to Arbroath he has to go..............simples

I'm expecting us to draw in another insipid performance with another couple of puff pieces by VoR talking about effort and determination in the squad and the dugout.

36 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm expecting us to draw in another insipid performance with another couple of puff pieces by VoR talking about effort and determination in the squad and the dugout.

Please no- I think if we draw they keep bullen till we get humped by Kelly and then Arbroath