The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Daniel Harvie, Michael Rose, Luke McCowan and Alan Forrest would suggest otherwise.

Forrest was already a first team regular and one of the few obvious bright spots under Roberts. Let's leave aside that he had a fairly obvious inspiration in watching his brother playing in the Champions League as well.

The others were definitely good signings, and it would be great to get that calibre of signing in again. But there's a difference between taking in unproven players from the level above and giving them some game time to show what they're capable of, and sending out your own players after they've already had a reasonable amount of time in the first team. If Bryden theoretically flourished at Clyde all it would prove is that he could cut it at Clyde's level.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

First point, I said he held on to his registration that stopped him signing for another club, I provided a link to the newspaper article. I then said, maybe we still do. The key word in that sentence is the word - maybe because I don’t fucking know. 

The word - might is the key word in the second point. It common in football for people to move to other clubs for less money that they are currently on to get them off the books, stop paying HR and insurance costs and paying the lesser amount to top up the wage for the remainder of the contract. Contracts are legally binding and a club can’t just essentially sack a player in the middle of it without ending up in court. 
Unless Ecripont agreed to a complete parting of the ways and took a financial hit because he thinks he will be better off playing for Stranraer. 
I don’t know this either, which is why I used the word - might. 

Maybe and might are not the same as definitely is and definitely has. 

I usually admire your attention to detail, but your constant misspelling of Finn's surname is unnerving me.

7 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Forrest was already a first team regular and one of the few obvious bright spots under Roberts. Let's leave aside that he had a fairly obvious inspiration in watching his brother playing in the Champions League as well.

The others were definitely good signings, and it would be great to get that calibre of signing in again. But there's a difference between taking in unproven players from the level above and giving them some game time to show what they're capable of, and sending out your own players after they've already had a reasonable amount of time in the first team. If Bryden theoretically flourished at Clyde all it would prove is that he could cut it at Clyde's level.

I wouldn’t really be looking him to prove anything in particular though - it would be a move to improve the aspects of his game he needs to work on. 

At the same time though, we would see if he can actually cut it two leagues below. 

The alternative is he gets the odd appearance with us, doesn’t improve and is released in a year or two. 

Edited by No_Problemo

With Dunfermline to make a signing before the weekend, that is now 6 of the other 9 to have done business so far this January. 

Ourselves and Queens Park are a little more desperate than Airdrie or Morton though and obviously QP have only just appointed their manager and seem to have started being linked with players. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

With Dunfermline to make a signing before the weekend, that is now 6 of the other 9 to have done business so far this January. 

Ourselves and Queens Park are a little more desperate than Airdrie or Morton though and obviously QP have only just appointed their manager and seem to have started being linked with players. 

QP are on the verge of making a signing albeit it’s a 33 year old crock who barely plays. 

I can’t see Airdrie making many changes and I think Morton might be the same as us where they have to wait and see what falls their way in the final week or so. 

Just now, edinburghhonestman said:

And I'd have taken him back in a heartbeat. Given he went to Bromley rather than somewhere higher, I think that's a missed opportunity.

I think we wanted our own player in and that’s why we went and got Stanger. He’s obviously not as good as Kirk but the club will see it as he’s our player and there’s potential to develop and sell him on hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

They're quite good. I like that song they did "Tom Sawyer".

The Spirit of Radio is their best ditty imo.

5 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Just waiting for us to go full #imminent and then announce an extension to Jack Young's loan. 

An #imminent then Bullen contract extension announcement for full mass cranial detachments all over Ayrshire.