The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Tommy_ayr said:

Haven’t heard much abuse in the stadium to be fair? Just some odd shouts to get Bullen out..

Haven't seen much online either aside from bullen out tweets which hardly constitutes as abuse 

6 minutes ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

From BBC website:

Ayr United have condemned "abuse both online and in stadiums over recent weeks" directed at Lee Bullen as they parted company with their head coach.

They and Arbroath occupy the bottom two places after Saturday's 0-0 draw at Gayfield Park and Queen's Park's surprise win over leaders Raith Rovers.

Former Sheffield Wednesday caretaker Bullen took charge in January 2022.

Ayr chairman David Smith said the decision to part with the 52-year-old came "with real regret".

Pointing to the behaviour of some fans, he told his club website: "Nobody deserves any form of abuse, it is never justifiable and we urge supporters to challenge this type of behaviour whenever they see or hear it."

Former Dunfermline Athletic, Sheffield Wednesday and Falkirk utility player Bullen had three spells as caretaker with the English club before taking charge at Somerset Park.

He steered Ayr clear of relegation in his first six months in charge and led them to second place last season.

However, they suffered a crushing 8-0 aggregate defeat by Partick Thistle in the promotion play-offs and, although they topped their League Cup group in a four-game unbeaten start to the season, Ayr have now won just once in 11 games in the second tier and needed extra time to defeat League 2 side Peterhead in the Scottish Cup.

"Despite having the obvious challenge of recruiting a new midfield given injuries at the start of the season, ultimately on-field results over a sustained period of time have not been good enough and it is with real regret that we have come to this decision," Smith said.

The Ayr chairman, though, added that "it is undeniable that the club is unrecognisable from the one Lee walked in to over two years ago and this is testament to his work throughout his time as head coach".

Smith said Bullen had consistently met the club targets - including "generating a significant player sale for the first time in many years" - while the relationship with the club's academy "has never been stronger".

Ayr, who have already started the search for a new team boss, next host third-tier Kelty Hearts in the cup fourth round on Saturday.

It was the fans fault 

5 minutes ago, Only me... said:

He hates ayr and ayr fans with a passion. Has impressive ball levitating skills though 👏 

A standard Ayrshire *** then.

Mathie and Smith are probably too emotionally attached to Bullen as like is quoted, he was a good ambassador. The problem was he wasn’t a particularly good manager/head coach to go with it. To have any sort of grievance with fans who are not happy with being 9th and not happy with the results is a bit mad. Just waiting on @ayrunitedfw creaming for Neil McCann. 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

Mathie and Smith are probably too emotionally attached to Bullen as like is quoted, he was a good ambassador. The problem was he wasn’t a particularly good manager/head coach to go with it. To have any sort of grievance with fans who are not happy with being 9th and not happy with the results is a bit mad. Just waiting on @ayrunitedfw creaming for Neil McCann. 

Reading between the lines of the club statement, he met targets, keeping the club up, finishing in the play-offs, generating player revenue etc.

He failed one, which was maybe in his contract, a sustained run of poor results, probably defined in his contract he may also have had, a set number of weeks in 9th or 10th place that would trigger a termination. 

I’m sure they could have given him more time if they wanted to and continued to ignore the growing concerns of the support. We are a few weeks away from a full blown crisis. 
I think they have moved decisively and should have some credit for it. Bullen certainly can’t complain he wasn’t given enough time. 

Mathie said during the last Q&A that targets had been adjusted and that the club was operating on a competitive budget for this level.

I don't think the club can be faulted for being overly gracious in their termination statement. Similarly, I've no idea why people are boiling their piss with Smith and Mathie now that they've actually gone and fired him. What do you fucking want from them exactly?

Nothing really new about abuse from the terraces I guess, though social media does amplify things badly.  I remember the abuse that the likes of Simon Stainrod got towards the end and it was no better or worse than anything I’ve heard of late.  I guess it’s worse when you can be DM’d on Twitter.

I think Bullen has become a lightning rod for general dissatisfaction with the running of the club which is unfair despite his obvious shortcomings.  The recruitment has been largely awful, Mathie is in danger of being seen as a noise machine and appointing McGeady as a Trainee Technical Director was just flat out stupid.  

In the end, a manager has to be about recruitment, coaching, tactics, man management.  The club ambassador stuff is  nice to have but can’t cover up when the playing side isn’t working.

Bullen was given time to turn it around and given every opportunity. However, there were no green shoots of any recovery from the slump.

Any direct messages to Bullen abusing him are out of order. I'd have said the atmosphere was much more toxic when Hopkin chucked it.