The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

It’s very hard to strengthen in January. I do think the bigger change has been Brown and Whittaker coming in and raising standards. Sometimes in terms of players it can be small tweaks here and there rather than getting an outright better player. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s very hard to strengthen in January. I do think the bigger change has been Brown and Whittaker coming in and raising standards. Sometimes in terms of players it can be small tweaks here and there rather than getting an outright better player. 

The worry for me is that we’re so dependent on Dowds and Murphy.  Lose one or both of them and I think we’ll go down.  

7 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I doubt Celtic would send him out on loan to us so he can sit on the bench to the end of the season.  Albinson has been a liability this season and picked the wrong time to chuck another 2 in the net against Dundee Utd with a new manager just coming in the door.  Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him go straight in the team.

Aye Brown said after the Dundee Utd game that Charlie chucked two in that day. I can see the new guy starting today *

* probably a definite now that Albinson starts seeing as I've said that 

I’d imagine he’s came in as back up to Albinson while Mutch is out. Means not having to recall Ecrepont/Ferns who are both playing every week at their loan clubs. If Albinson sketchy form continues then he may get a chance. 

25 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The worry for me is that we’re so dependent on Dowds and Murphy.  Lose one or both of them and I think we’ll go down.  

I think that’s the case for most teams. You lose your best two players and you’re going to plummet. 

32 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I think you could add McGinty to that, granted we have cover at center half but I don't think we have any one else that's a leader like him.

38 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

In general, yes - but I wouldn’t say it would have been very hard to strengthen at right back. 

As others have said, as much as things have improved you can only do so much with what they have and with things being so tight it is a massive risk to continue with the same limitations in the side. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think that’s the case for most teams. You lose your best two players and you’re going to plummet. 

Not always as better balanced squads have others that can step up and soften the blow. Most other teams also won’t be in a relegation battle with half the league who seem to have found form you’d expect from the top 4 

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

In general, yes - but I wouldn’t say it would have been very hard to strengthen at right back. 

As others have said, as much as things have improved you can only do so much with what they have and with things being so tight it is a massive risk to continue with the same limitations in the side. 

Things are just so incredibly marginal that I would like to have seen us add a bit of quality especially given the rangers windfall.  Look at last weeks game - Airdrie threw away 2 goals trying to pass out from the back and our third was a generous decision from the referee/naive play from the Airdrie keeper.  We got the 3 points but we were poor for large spells with Tomlinson out his depth defensively and Bryden and McKenzie total passengers. Last weeks team minus Murphy and Dowds is pretty honking.

15 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Things are just so incredibly marginal that I would like to have seen us add a bit of quality especially given the rangers windfall.  Look at last weeks game - Airdrie threw away 2 goals trying to pass out from the back and our third was a generous decision from the referee/naive play from the Airdrie keeper.  We got the 3 points but we were poor for large spells with Tomlinson out his depth defensively and Bryden and McKenzie total passengers. Last weeks team minus Murphy and Dowds is pretty honking.

I think this is far to critical. It's a team game and every decision every player makes, every pass or pause leads to the next part of play. We won as a team. Yes there were mistakes, there always will be but it was entertaining and we got 3 points. Bringing in other players could be as much a gamble as sticking with what have. Extra players don't stop 4th-10th being tight. I will sigh a huge sigh of relief when we're safe from relegation playoffs.... We'll just have to hold on to our scarfs until then ⚫⚪

Predictions for today? I'd love to see a 3-0 win, but think a 1-1 stalemate is more likely.

37 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I think you're right. Last week I thought we were very fortunate that Airdrie gifted us two goals and although the finishing was excellent for all three we were definitely riding our luck. I don't really have an expectation of us getting anything today.

Well I think that pretty much confirms Albinson is out of the picture now.  It's a bold statement from the coaches, but I think there was a rumour of Brown and him having a bust up and that's only going to go one way. 

Edited by super_carson