The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Kirk would be an exceptional signing but I’d guess we’d pay about a third of what he was on at Arsenal and he’ll be hoping to land in an English Championship team first. 

He played 22 games in the 5th tier of English football last year.  He is not getting a Championship team coming in for him.

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

He played 22 games in the 5th tier of English football last year.  He is not getting a Championship team coming in for him.

I said hoping….hes 21 and still able to play in a development team, QPR are looking at some boy freed by Aberdeen

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I said hoping….hes 21 and still able to play in a development team, QPR are looking at some boy freed by Aberdeen

Aye, he needs to go somewhere where he's going to be playing every week. Would be delighted if he came back, but whether it's even something we are looking at, who knows.

37 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

I'd suggest we were going to try the Scotland tactic of having Redding as a wing back and McMann as a under lapping Left center back but that makes no sense with us signing 3 wingers 

I mean it didn't make sense for Scotland to persist with tactics which required two left backs once one got injured either. Nor, for that matter, did it make sense to continue with the tactic of blasting the ball up for Dykes to get knock-ons when Dykes wasn't playing. But then I'm not some galaxy-brained, racist-against-Argentinians DKB.

46 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just a theory but I don’t see us signing Reading to another two year deal for him to not play.

Defenders get injured or suspended. You need cover there, ideally not just some 16-year-old Academy player. Actual proper clubs can and do pay players to mostly sit on the bench all the time. The alternative is to play Reading most weeks and, well, playing Reading most weeks doesn't seem to have worked out that well.

Alex Kirk and then a young SPFL defender who can play both right back and centre back on loan (as well as a centre midfielder) would do me till start of the league season

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

If we can’t afford Ashcroft, then I’m struggling to see how we’ll stretch to Alex Kirk.

There's no official word he's signed for us, so it's still up in the air.

1 minute ago, baba douche said:

There's no official word he's signed for us, so it's still up in the air.

Scott Burns is as good as the official word imo. 

We were always going to miss out on a target at some point. 

I'm sure we have a new center back lined up someone like Kirk would be ideal, I refuse to believe that we have brought in the best left back in the league last season to play him at center back, Brown made a big deal of saying he would love 2 players for each position and that's what Paddy is he's back up.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

If we can’t afford Ashcroft, then I’m struggling to see how we’ll stretch to Alex Kirk.

Don’t think money will be a reason if not signed 

39 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Any good? 

I wouldn’t say he’s better than what we’ve got. Think he can play RB and CB though. 

Worth noting that we’ve brought in a good few players and have likely spent the bulk of our budget. Thistle meanwhile haven’t recruited as many as us and will perhaps have more to spend at this point in the summer. 

Brown wanted pace in the side and has clearly focused his efforts on that so far. Whether that’s been the right call and he’s happy to bring in another defender and midfielder with what money he’s got left remains to be seen although we cannot complain at having a lack of options up front and we have hopefully seen the last of McKenzie and Bryden playing wide.