The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Posted (edited)

I think the biggest mistake Hastie will have made, like many young players, is moving to Rangers. He had a brilliant loan spell at Alloa iirc then broke into the Motherwell team and was on fire for about six months which earned him a big move. In hindsight he should probably have stayed and established himself at Motherwell but who is going to turn down a better contract at a bigger club? 

Since then it’s been underwhelming loan move after another and he’s basically got his last chance at full time football with us. It could either be a Lawrence Shankland or Paul Slane story. I think Brown will get something out of him and if he doesn’t we’ve still got Henderson and Murphy who are two of the best wingers in the league, Ethan Walker coming in and McKenzie who can do the odd job in that position. If that happens then we let him go in January or in the summer and that’s that. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

Mentions a couple of times about enjoying football again. Hopefully for his sake (and ours) Brown can get that out of him and performs well. If it doesn’t go well here then that’ll be him done at a full time level I would imagine.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Based on the interview he was that happy to join he didn't read his contract before signing.

By the sounds of it, Broon has had a very open and frank conversation with him about his position as a full time pro and laid it at his feet now to make a success of it. He seems fully aware that if he doesn't make the grade, Brown will bin him... Reading between the lines of course. Here's hoping he gives it a good bash. Also very positive to hear his remarks about the quality of training he's had since coming in.

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

Posted (edited)

Hastie is a bit of a punt. There’s enough evidence there to justify going for him (don’t know how much he’s on right enough).  If it works, great. If not then he’s only here a year so no big deal. 
The same couldn’t be said for the unknowns on 2 year deals who made up anout 90% of the signings in the last two seasons.

It’s been refreshing to see the club being a bit more streetwise here.

Edit: not so much streetwise, as just not being so obviously taken a ride out of by mediocre pish. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

2 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

Does anyone know the reason the 3 blocks of seats at the Railway End are unavailable to purchase?

Is that not in line with the seggy fence? Probably away fans in terrace below.

Checked falkirk site, they are only  getting west stand and railway end, no mention of north terrace unless allowed to fence as part of railway end? Could also be restricted for stewarding,  the big bear guy is probably still bruised after fighting the 7 year olds he was throwing about on Friday at full time.

32 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

Does anyone know the reason the 3 blocks of seats at the Railway End are unavailable to purchase?

I think its so when we do give the railway end to away fans with bigger crowds we dont need to move any home fans from their seats.

I'm a bit meh on Hastie. He's really stunk the place out at the last few clubs. Of course we've had a couple of players before that have really kicked on after realising they're in last chance saloon for full time football - but more often than not these kind of signings don't work out. 

Happy to give the benefit of the doubt though, I'm assuming he's a back up and its only a 1 year deal as others have pointed out.

Seems to be positive noises coming from the club about at least a couple more faces being expected to arrive, so doesn't seem like bringing in Hastie will be at the expense of some other areas where we could do with strengthening.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I hope we just play wingers and a goalie. 

As the old adage on championship wingers goes, "if he was able to play like that every week, he wouldn't be playing at this level".

With this many wingers, theres got to be at least one of them in-form at any given time.

good-thinking.gif.10381e8d5391ecf9cdef4460f15eae80.gif

Edited by AUcal

1 hour ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

By the sounds of it, Broon has had a very open and frank conversation with him about his position as a full time pro and laid it at his feet now to make a success of it. He seems fully aware that if he doesn't make the grade, Brown will bin him... Reading between the lines of course. Here's hoping he gives it a good bash. Also very positive to hear his remarks about the quality of training he's had since coming in.

Is that reading between the lines, or just completely making stuff up?! 👀

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Fairly certain the 500 club are there to sign players so I’m not sure why that would be a bad thing? 

Clubs want fans through the gate but fans also want something worth watching whilst not being ripped off. The fact that the club are charging more for the Killie game than they are for the league cup games is a bit strange. If it had been a tenner I’m quite sure you’d have seen more people taking an interest but not at £20. 

It’s the middle of summer so I’m quite sure a lot of people will have better ideas of how to spend that money and I know I do. If you have an issue with that I don’t really know what to say to you. 

I think the thing with the increased price for this game is that the clubs both know they’ll probably get at least 3000 people in at £20 a head whereas if you made it £10 a head you aren’t going to get 6000 to attend I don’t think.

Also, and I’ve got no idea on the cost, but like everything in life I assume the costs for police and security are greatly increased to what they were 5 or 10 years ago. As we’ve talked about on this thread the potential for trouble is growing week on week it feels currently and I wouldn’t be surprised to find the police have said they need a certain number of police at a certain overtime cost even to get the game to go ahead.

I can’t remember the exact details of the last time we played a friendly/ayrshire cup or the dreaded WestFM cup  but it’s probably been at least a decade and it (probably) was £10 a ticket back then.

I don’t blame the clubs for the pricing and at the same time wouldn’t blame anyone for not going along for the price or whatever reason.

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Is that reading between the lines, or just completely making stuff up?! 👀

Years of reading people and situations formed my opinion. I clearly wrote it as an opinion not as fact. So take yer 👀 and get back in yer box.