The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

No idea why we wanted to keep pumping the ball in for headers today.  Pointless.  

Oakley becoming a bit of a problem for me now.  Doesn't give us anything, first touch like Stonehenge and not much better finishing. 

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Game was over when Rus came off. I don’t see the logic behind that unless he was complaining about being injured. 

Yeah, McKenzie played well (bar his sitters obviously) but he isn’t who you want on the park when you need a goal against a team sitting in. 

Bavidge did well at times to get by people, if only Rus was still on to take advantage of that space. 

On another positive, McLennan started to come on to a game too. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

No idea why we wanted to keep pumping the ball in for headers today.  Pointless.  

Oakley becoming a bit of a problem for me now.  Doesn't give us anything, first touch like Stonehenge and not much better finishing. 

Oakley is starting to worry me too. 

Without bringing back the earlier debate, but Adeloye is very far in front of him as a footballer. 

Edited by No_Problemo

11 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

He's a good wrestler, that's about it just now. I've thought his finishing has been worrying since the celtic game preseason, he seems to bottle it in front of goal. In fairness to him, he  does give the full 90 minutes, but we need something more clinical from him. Mclennan and Bavidge looked more promising today. A couple of stupid errors cost us today. We would beat them on another day, nothing to worry about from them.

That’s two games against the top two and it looks like Browns line-ups have cost us again. 

Russell is not a Championship keeper, it’s debatable is Stone is much better but he doesn’t concede the type of goals Russell does.

A right back and centre half and a centre half at right back, McCallister has been fine at centre half but he’s not a centre half and his passing is dreadful. He gives the ball away more than anyone in the team. He cost us one today and he might have been playing everyone on at the second goal. To play him at centre half with three fit in the squad is a f**k-up. 

Oakley does what he does and needs to create chances and space for another player, McLennan plays behind him so it’s pointless having Oakley up there because there is no one to benefit from what he does. 

The core were brilliant again, Dempsey, Stanger, Rus.

McKenzie did really well but had loads of room to run at the full back in the first half and couldn’t get past him, Murphy would have been better facing him up and McKenzie further forward. 

Livi weren’t great and probably scored with their only two shots on target. We were back to how we played at the start of the season with Rus in the middle and dominated the bulk of the game. Livi absolutely pack their defence and we couldn’t get in behind them all game, it’s clear to see why they don’t concede many. Even a draw would have been harsh on us based on the pressure and possession we had but not the amount of shots we actually got away. 

Better that the last few weeks but need to sort out the front line and stop pissing about with players that aren’t consistently good enough. 

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Surely Oakley was brought in to compliment Dowds, and now that's out the window he's obviously not as effective. Of all the players to be out for the season, it's just our luck it's the one player needed the most.

Think Id add Rus and McMann as the players we need the most.

Was glad to see him come on at HT. McAllister is just a bomb scare. 

Think McLennan looks a right good player too.

Shite result against a horrible Livi side but plenty of positives to take from it.

We should never have lost that game, I thought Livingston were stuffy but very limited all over the park. You can't gift your rivals a two-goal lead and expect to win though. McAllister is a limited player and he had his customary howler today, meanwhile Liam Russell is a midget and too easy to score against. 

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

That’s two games against the top two and it looks like Browns line-ups have cost us again. 

Russell is not a Championship keeper, it’s debatable is Stone is much better but he doesn’t concede the type of goals Russell does.

A right back and centre half and a centre half at right back, McCallister has been fine at centre half but he’s not a centre half and his passing is dreadful. He gives the ball away more than anyone in the team. He cost us one today and he might have been playing everyone on at the second goal. To play him at centre half with three fit in the squad is a f**k-up. 

Oakley does what he does and needs to create chances and space for another player, McLennan plays behind him so it’s pointless having Oakley up there because there is no one to benefit from what he does. 

The core were brilliant again, Dempsey, Stanger, Rus.

McKenzie did really well but had loads of room to run at the full back in the first half and couldn’t get past him, Murphy would have been better facing him up and McKenzie further forward. 

Livi weren’t great and probably scored with their only two shots on target. We were back to how we played at the start of the season with Rus in the middle and dominated the bulk of the game. Livi absolutely pack their defence and we couldn’t get in behind them all game, it’s clear to see why they don’t concede many. Even a draw would have been harsh on us based on the pressure and possession we had but not the amount of shots we actually got away. 

Better that the last few weeks but need to sort out the front line and stop pissing about with players that aren’t consistently good enough. 

McAllister’s passing would obviously be found out more at RB…

The issue is him playing, as opposed to Musonda at RB. I doubt we’ll see him again barring another crisis. 

Fully agreed with the rest. 

We really need more legs and physicality in the middle of the park.  Dempsey has been superb this season, but we’re just not competing well enough in the first 20-25 minutes of games.  It’s been a consistent problem for weeks now.  If Devlin really is fit, we should put him to centre back, get McMann to left back and restore Watret to right back.  Beyond that, I’m not sure what we can do in the immediate short term to improve things.  

6 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We really need more legs and physicality in the middle of the park.  Dempsey has been superb this season, but we’re just not competing well enough in the first 20-25 minutes of games.  It’s been a consistent problem for weeks now.  If Devlin really is fit, we should put him to centre back, get McMann to left back and restore Watret to right back.  Beyond that, I’m not sure what we can do in the immediate short term to improve things.  

I’m not sure I’d be desperate to get Devlin back just to drop Reading from the team. If we can get back to the same back four that had us at the top of the league then I’ll be happy with that but Reading is an important player in that team. 

4 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Has the squad maybe been a bit unsettled by Brown signing a good few of them and then pretty quickly talking to another club about getting out of Somerset?

Wouldn’t be surprised if that was the general feeling.

No

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We were absolutely fine in the opening stages of the game today, and largely dominated most of it so I don’t see how there was an issue in the middle of the park. 

The only reason we didn’t win the game was the failings of McAllister and particularly Oakley and McKenzie on top of that. We missed at least five clear cut chances.