The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
1 hour ago, rb123! said:
El Bhauktoui still not signed for anyone as far as i can see, the way things are going he could be a shout. Not got a fecking clue how you spell it so that's my best guess.

Every signings a risk but with our budget he would be to much of a risk any player comming in has to be as good if not better than what we have we can't be carrying passengers.

I'd still happily take the boy from Coventry if he was available. He appeared to have pace to burn and a little trick up his sleeve and that's the type of player we're lacking.

I'd still happily take the boy from Coventry if he was available. He appeared to have pace to burn and a little trick up his sleeve and that's the type of player we're lacking.
100% hasn't featured in there pre season friendlies so maybe a chance

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Anyone know what tomorrows AP is saying?

No signing news other than Frank Ross. McCall just reiterating that he wants a rb, midfielder, striker and goalkeeper but isn’t sure whether he will manage to get all of these. 

Got to question some of our support! Why are they so negative? I’m not an overly positive person but I’m getting sick of people moaning about how things are turning out! We are in the best position we have been in in 15 years what more do you want?

Not on here as much but au media and fab!

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall saying he’s hoping 1 or 2 deals will be tied up before Saturday.

Apart from a GK then he’s prioritising another midfielder and a striker over a defender.

Excellent news.

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Got to question some of our support! Why are they so negative? I’m not an overly positive person but I’m getting sick of people moaning about how things are turning out! We are in the best position we have been in in 15 years what more do you want?

Totally agree with this.

It's a far cry from getting excited about signing a 35 year old league 1 journeymen etc, which is where we were not so long ago.......

3 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Surely you were in a better position last year? 

2 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Squad wise yes but in terms of league finish etc no! We are by far better off than we were at anytime we have been in the last 15 years!

Eh? 

What are you gibbering on about, as a club you were in better position last year. 

Eh? 
What are you gibbering on about, as a club you were in better position last year. 

Were we?

Last year we were a newly promoted team whereas now we’re a team that finished in the play offs to get into the Premiership. Whilst we probably won’t recreate that the latter is a much better position than the former.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Eh? 

I wouldn't agree at all.

We had just come up from League 1 with an unconvincing final day reprieve, there was no guarantees that Shankland was going to perform in the higher league up against full time sides each week, we had also just signed a few young players including an untried goalkeeper and ultimately 8th place was looking like a major success.

I'd say we're already having the look of an established Championship side (granted only our second successive season), we're holding our own from a financial perspective, the club's advancing off the pitch with 21st century ticketing etc and we're finding it easier to attract players than we have done in a very long time.

No, we're in a much better position now................

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Were we?

Last year we were a newly promoted team whereas now we’re a team that finished in the play offs to get into the Premiership. Whilst we probably won’t recreate that the latter is a much better position than the former.

We were promoted with a strong team that we somehow managed to hold together last Summer.  An incompetent standard of goalkeeping all season and some pretty dreadful defending pre-Bell signing should have cost us, but also disguised the underlying strength of the team.  We went out last summer and brought in 4 quality signings (Smith, Harvie, Murdoch and Doohan)  that largely addressed our specific defensive woes of the previous season.  In hindsight, it’s not that surprising we had a strong season.   

I compare that to the current team and I’m staggered anyone could believe we are in a stronger position. We’re wafer thin on numbers, have at least 3 perma-crocks we know we can’t rely on to play every week, young players that are unproven at this level, and others who are probably a season or 2 past their best.  I hope it all comes together for us, but I think any objective assessment would say we look terribly vulnerable going into the new season.