Arbroath v Dumbarton | Dumbarton v Arbroath | Championship Play Off Semi

I'm not quite sure why folk are still expecting the likes of Stewart and Froxy to get a start. Stevie obviously doesn't view them that way and I tend to agree that they don't offer any more than the players who would need to be dropped. Callum Gallagher might frustrate the living daylights out of many of us at times (myself included) but he is actually doing pretty well in the role in my opinion.

Froxilias is just far too much of a luxury for a team in our position. Yes, he has that little piece of quality we often lack but it doesn't show often enough for me.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not quite sure why folk are still expecting the likes of Stewart and Froxy to get a start. Stevie obviously doesn't view them that way and I tend to agree that they don't offer any more than the players who would need to be dropped. Callum Gallagher might frustrate the living daylights out of many of us at times (myself included) but he is actually doing pretty well in the role in my opinion.
Froxilias is just far too much of a luxury for a team in our position. Yes, he has that little piece of quality we often lack but it doesn't show often enough for me.

I think we all agree that Froxy is a luxury, but, isn’t Handling too? I’d certainly say that Froxy is a better luxury.

Good result for us last night in what was a tricky midweek fixture.

Our two best spells in the game coincided with us scoring and I was a bit disappointed we didn't try to play like that from the off. As soon as we scored the first Arbroath dominated before fading badly in the last ten where we absolutely swarmed all over them. We really are so much better when we get the ball on the deck and pass it, utilising Stirling's trickery out wide.

Best for us were Hutton, Dowie, Barr and Stirling. Walsh and Handling were fairly shite as was Russell when he came on, which leads me to my next point...

In a real classic Aitken move last night he subbed off Callum Gallagher... surely time for Stewart to come off the bench and try and bag us a winner against a tiring defence? Nope. We bring on Ian Russell, who is absolutely fuckin hopeless. He's truly lost any pace he had and had a half arsed pathetic attempt on goal from yards out that I could've hit the target with. I have some pretty serious question marks over why our main striker isn't even getting on over a desperation signing from January.

For Saturday's fixture Walsh should be binned for Burt and I'd be tempted to play Froxy instead of Handling.

I think we all agree that Froxy is a luxury, but, isn’t Handling too? I’d certainly say that Froxy is a better luxury.

Correct. Walsh is also a luxury who offers very little whereas Burt is very direct and effective (as proved once again last night).

The fact Aitken views Russell as a better option than Stewart is truly mind boggling. The guy is absolutely dreadful. Seriously dreadful.

Despite us not playing amazingly well that was by far the most enjoyable experience watching Dumbarton since TNS. 

Playing against fellow part-timers is a great leveler and some of our number - e.g. Liam Dick - looked far more comfortable, and almost commanding, against League 1 opposition. Others (Handling) should drop further to find their level.

I go back and forward on the stay up/go down debate but I'm absolutely certain that was far more enthralling than watching us toil and raggedly defend week after week after week.

Arbroath just lacked a bit of guile in the end.

Despite us not playing amazingly well that was by far the most enjoyable experience watching Dumbarton since TNS. 
Playing against fellow part-timers is a great leveler and some of our number - e.g. Liam Dick - looked far more comfortable, and almost commanding, against League 1 opposition. Others (Handling) should drop further to find their level.
I go back and forward on the stay up/go down debate but I'm absolutely certain that was far more enthralling than watching us toil and raggedly defend week after week after week.
Arbroath just lacked a bit of guile in the end.

It should be taken into consideration that's us facing fellow part-time opposition with a Championship budget and we did struggle at times.

56 minutes ago, microdave said:

The hot water bottle was a whoopee cushion. The reason I know this is because I made the same mistake.

A bit frustrated at the team selection since if Stevie is trying to keep a freshness for the likes of Burt, Stewart and Froxy, what exactly is he keeping them fresh for? I suppose since we won, it could be argued that he got it spot on but I'm not sure about that. The journey was however made worthwhile by the winning goal alone! #Scenes

I stand corrected re the Walking Fart Cushion :lol:

Aye, you could see the difference young Burt made when he came on, full of pace & willing to take on the defence. Boy must be a bit frustrated.

A fear of defeat consumes Aitken.

Still a job to do this Saturday, Arbroath'll be going for it.

I thought it was one of Russell's better displays actually. He dropped back a few times and spread the ball out wide. It highlghts how poor he has been and probably had a lot to do with the opposition too.

Burt is so wasteful that is does frustrate the life out of me at times. Wrong decisions let him down and he is very lightweight. He does inject a bit of pace and looks dangerous on the ball.

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I thought it was one of Russell's better displays actually. He dropped back a few times and spread the ball out wide. It highlghts how poor he has been and probably had a lot to do with the opposition too.

Burt is so wasteful that is does frustrate the life out of me at times. Wrong decisions let him down and he is very lightweight. He does inject a bit of pace and looks dangerous on the ball.

Burt wasteful?

The boy is lucky if he gets the last 10 minutes of a match. Not a lot of time to make a huge impact, but to his credit he does, he runs at a tired defence & is capable of the odd goal (Falkirk thrashing :()

If Beany can get on ahead of Stewart, then something's wrong.

Tremendous result for Dumbarton last night, didn't see that coming to be honest. Arbroath in midweek is the Scottish version of that 'Stoke on a Tuesday night' pish-patter that they trot out down south. It is a notoriously hard place to go and they have an excellent team this season, so to be heading back to the Rock with a lead is commendable. Also, cheers to the Periscoper in the DFC end. A medal for you sir.

57 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Burt wasteful?

The boy is lucky if he gets the last 10 minutes of a match. Not a lot of time to make a huge impact, but to his credit he does, he runs at a tired defence & is capable of the odd goal (Falkirk thrashing :()

If Beany can get on ahead of Stewart, then something's wrong.

Very wasteful. Gets into great positions and then makes the wrong choices. Last night there were 2 occasions where he should have cut the ball back and he didn't, thus giving possession away.

I agree that Stewart overall would be the better option but to be honest he hasn't done too much in the limited chances he has had. So I'm glad he isn't starting ahead of C Gall.

I would actually agree that Burt can be wasteful. The difference for me is that I don't actually see it as a reason to keep him out the team because when he isn't wasteful he generally creates a chance for us. The way I see it, you can play a disinterested Tom Walsh who hides for large sections of the game and may occasionally do something brilliant if he can be bothered or you play an energetic Burt who always looks for the ball, sometimes wastes it and sometimes creates something. Burt came on in the 80th minute and that coincided with the biggest number of chances we created in the whole match. You can say that's down to Arbroath changing things/getting tired, but I think that doesn't tell the whole story - Burt was so positive every time he got the ball, much like Stirling in the second half.

The Handling vs Froxy argument isn't even a debate. Froxy is a class or two above Handling even if he is a lazy sod.

Burt's similar to Andy Stirling imo, albeit not as strong. His final ball isn't fantastic all the time, but he'll work his backside off, always look for it, and has the ability to conjure up a bit of magic every so often. Him and Stirling with pace and legs either side of Froxy with his technical ability should work pretty well.

By the way is that Arbroath kit really tight, or are Linn and Wallace looking a bit, erm, cuddly these days? 

Burt's similar to Andy Stirling imo, albeit not as strong. His final ball isn't fantastic all the time, but he'll work his backside off, always look for it, and has the ability to conjure up a bit of magic every so often. Him and Stirling with pace and legs either side of Froxy with his technical ability should work pretty well.
By the way is that Arbroath kit really tight, or are Linn and Wallace looking a bit, erm, cuddly these days? 

It is a very tight kit.

Should see McCord.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It is a very tight kit.

Should see McCord.

:lol: I forgot about him actually. Poor guy. At least maroon is quite slimming compared to Alloa's hoops.

Having a weird reverse of how post match feelings from a game like that go. Normally you'd be gutted at the time, but gradually get over it where as post match I was delighted with how we played overall, happy with our starting 11/ game plan and I felt we more than matched Dumbarton and am confident we can still do the job on Saturday. However, having gone from reasonably happy post match the longer today goes on the more gutted I'm feeling at the result..... we didn't deserve that :(

Having a weird reverse of how post match feelings from a game like that go. Normally you'd be gutted at the time, but gradually get over it where as post match I was delighted with how we played overall, happy with our starting 11/ game plan and I felt we more than matched Dumbarton and am confident we can still do the job on Saturday. However, having gone from reasonably happy post match the longer today goes on the more gutted I'm feeling at the result..... we didn't deserve that [emoji20]

It’s a real shite way to lose.

Looks like Alloa in the final too for whoever gets through. Massive opportunity.

I just hope we can start well on Saturday, get a lead and see where it takes us. The way we line up seems to suit us away from home better.

Just need to wait and see but hope the players pick themselves up and go for it. Nothing to lose now it’s advantage to Dumbarton.

Archived