Arbroath v Dumbarton | Dumbarton v Arbroath | Championship Play Off Semi

Our highlights up. I'm not sure we give enough credit to Sonstv it really is a terrific highlights package we have now.

Few things to note;

Scott Gallagher with an outstanding dive and save from the header... Looks even better in the slow motion replay. The Arbroath player with a shocking dive looking for a pen right after it though :lol:

In the highlights it looks like Handling has actually had a pretty decent 2nd half and I stand by that Iain Russell had his best match I've seen since his return. He linked up well when we were attacking, but the sitter when the Arbroath defenders all stop looking for offside was a bad one!

Again, in slow motion our first goal looks brilliant. He really has taken that so well. Fair play to C Gall for that.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our highlights up. I'm not sure we give enough credit to Sonstv it really is a terrific highlights package we have now.
Few things to note;
Scott Gallagher with an outstanding dive and save from the header... Looks even better in the slow motion replay. The Arbroath player with a shocking dive looking for a pen right after it though :lol:
In the highlights it looks like Handling has actually had a pretty decent 2nd half and I stand by that Iain Russell had his best match I've seen since his return. He linked up well when we were attacking, but the sitter when the Arbroath defenders all stop looking for offside was a bad one!
Again, in slow motion our first goal looks brilliant. He really has taken that so well. Fair play to C Gall for that.

You’re implying that Thomas O’Brien went down easy/dived???

Sack him, no time for that at Gayfield

Fucking disgrace

Calum Gallagher doubtful.  If he doesn't make it can we please, I'm begging you Stevie, start Mark fucking Stewart. Not Russell, not Nisbet; our best striker and probable highest earner needs to be used. I don't particularly care if he can only manage 45 minutes, start him and bring on the likes of Russell or Nisbet if he's fucked.

I'd bring Froxy in for Handling too, especially as the former hasn't played a minute of football in about a month and Handling has played far too many for someone offering what he does. Aside from that and Dougie Hill coming in for Barr the team can stay the same.

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Calum Gallagher doubtful.  If he doesn't make it can we please, I'm begging you Stevie, start Mark fucking Stewart. Not Russell, not Nisbet; our best striker and probable highest earner needs to be used. I don't particularly care if he can only manage 45 minutes, start him and bring on the likes of Russell or Nisbet if he's fucked.

I'd bring Froxy in for Handling too, especially as the former hasn't played a minute of football in about a month and Handling has played far too many for someone offering what he does. Aside from that and Dougie Hill coming in for Barr the team can stay the same.

Agree entirely.  

A front 4 of  Stirling, Froxy, Walsh and Stewart...I just don't see Stevie hitting Go on that. Not enough back-passers.

2 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Agree entirely.  

A front 4 of  Stirling, Froxy, Walsh and Stewart...I just don't see Stevie hitting Go on that. Not enough back-passers.

The annoying thing is that Striling and Walsh actually offer defensive protection and with Hutton and Carswell both playing Froxy should be free to roam around as he wishes. If we can get the first goal tomorrow it gives Arbroath a mountain to climb, I'd be starting with the quality that can get you that goal.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The annoying thing is that Striling and Walsh actually offer defensive protection and with Hutton and Carswell both playing Froxy should be free to roam around as he wishes. If we can get the first goal tomorrow it gives Arbroath a mountain to climb, I'd be starting with the quality that can get you that goal.

I hope I'm wrong, but something is telling me that Stevie will set up to defend the lead we have - not build on it. Then if (when...) Arbroath score we'll be forced into changing things round a bit to try and attack.

With a bit of luck by posting that here I'll have jinxed it, and the sexy attacking football show will see us stride to success.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

The thing is, for all the bleating about Froxy being poor defensively, if you swap him for Handling you're losing nothing in terms of defense. If anything, I don't think Froxylias would be as easily pushed off the ball.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see the Chivas Suite will be open to Arbroath fans tomorrow.

Live entertainment before matches, some cracking social media content, wee explanations as to why decisions are being made, reduced entry prices and now this.

I'm liking the new, improved DFC.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see the Chivas Suite will be open to Arbroath fans tomorrow.

For any Arbroath fans wondering - this is the bar situated in the away end, access through the away turnstiles. 

1 hour ago, Consolidate said:

The thing is, for all the bleating about Froxy being poor defensively, if you swap him for Handling you're losing nothing in terms of defense. If anything, I don't think Froxylias would be as easily pushed off the ball.

That's just nonsense. Froxylias is one of the 2 who are most easily pushed off the ball. Burt being the other. That's nothing against their footballing ability but both are wayyy more lightweight than Handling.

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

That's just nonsense. Froxylias is one of the 2 who are most easily pushed off the ball. Burt being the other. That's nothing against their footballing ability but both are wayyy more lightweight than Handling.

I'm going to disagree with this. Handling has had some nasty injuries, and you can tell in the way he plays. When Froxy gets his body behind the ball his retention is pretty good - in fact it was even something commented on by the Cyprus coach when he got his first call-up last October.

Aside from two tremendous goals I've absolutely no idea what Handling brings to the team.

Aye, Froxy is actually pretty decent at using his wee arse to protect the ball.

Regardless of that Froxy is a match winner. He could do f**k all for 75 minutes and ping one in from 30 yards and his place in the team would be justified. His set piece ability alone makes him worth a start.

When we're starting with two CDMs we should be able to accommodate him in the team. The main issue is that in classic Aitken fashion he chooses to deploy him in the wide position 90% of the time where his defence flaws are exposed more.

If Aitken had any sense at all he'd start Froxy in the middle and look to get an early goal.

Agree entirely.  
No doubt the game plan will be to be disciplined and work the counter.

As noted against Dundee utd a better balance would be to start with 1 defensive mid but no doubt Stevie will start with his preferred shape.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

I disagree.

Irrespective, Daniel is going to get the nod and can hopefully, finally justify why he's worth a start in such an important position ahead of the competition. 

I thought at least a draw was a fair result on Wednesday night as for 70 minutes we controlled the game albeit we were under the cosh the last 10-15 minutes when our legs went.

I would not have taken off McKenna as we missed his height and hassling and if anything i would have brought on Whatley to help out in midfield and just left McIntosh up front with the 2 wide men supporting him and took the draw but i can also understand DC trying to snatch the win as his starting line-up was a team trying to get the victory as it was attack minded.

I thought Bobby was our best player with TOB, McKenna. Ricky, Martin and Swanks excellent and the other players all getting pass marks but i did think we were crying out for Pongos creativity in central midfield, so what if he cannot run his passing ability is a joy to watch, he played 3 through balls when he came on against Airdrie which were superb, get runners next to him and let him pull the strings.

An absolute farce them getting to play Bell who was superb and scored the 93rd minute winner, him and his central defender won everything in the air so lets play it on the deck.

Only half-time and we can still win this, C'Mon the Red Lichties.    

Archived