Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

6 minutes ago, sophia said:

Whilst acknowledging plaintive cries on this forum, I can't help but appreciate the expert contributors who have been so very positive about this life saving help offered by our government. I note Ireland have also adopted a similar strategy. 

Alcohol seems to have played a role in the off field activities of the thug in your avatar. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Alcohol seems to have played a role in the off field activities of the thug in your avatar. 

You keep on responding to me with this.

I find it quite disconcerting and nothing to do with this this topic so I'd ask you to cease and desist. 

Just now, sophia said:

You keep on responding to me with this.

I find it quite disconcerting and nothing to do with this this topic so I'd ask you to cease and desist. 

Nothing I’ve previously written about Tokely is not freely available on the internet. 

You seem quite happy to dictate to others about the positive impact yet have a picture on your profile of a known football thug and an abusive individual to an ex female partner as well as other off field indiscretions. 

Not a good look. 

30 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Nothing I’ve previously written about Tokely is not freely available on the internet. 

You seem quite happy to dictate to others about the positive impact yet have a picture on your profile of a known football thug and an abusive individual to an ex female partner as well as other off field indiscretions. 

Not a good look. 

Using the very sad breakdown of a marriage for an internet win was wrong the first time and utterly tiresome when repeated ad nauseam. This thread is about minimum unit pricing for alcohol, a measure welcomed by experts in the overdue task in resetting our toxic relationship with drink. 

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Using the very sad breakdown of a marriage for an internet win was wrong the first time and utterly tiresome when repeated ad nauseam. This thread is about minimum unit pricing for alcohol, a measure welcomed by experts in the overdue task in resetting our toxic relationship with drink. 

Is there any evidence this has actually happened?

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Is there any evidence this has actually happened?

Yes, that bastion of pro snp propaganda BBCs GMS had expert speakers contribute. 

It's available on their sounds app

Read the actual research, not the BBC one-line summary.

Since MUP came in, alcohol related deaths have increased in Scotland. Ignorjng the inflation costs etc, the policy has failed on its own terms. The hardcore alcoholics will miss food, stop heating and so on to keep drinking. 

Overall consumption (ie social drinking) is down a bit. 

So...where does the headljne "13% fewer deaths" line come from? Simple. Since MUP, deaths due to alcohol in North East England rise also, and at a slightly faster rate than in Scotland. That's it. It was all extrapolated from that one comparison. 

Edited by scottsdad

19 minutes ago, sophia said:

Yes, that bastion of pro snp propaganda BBCs GMS had expert speakers contribute. 

It's available on their sounds app

I suggest you read the SG’s own published report.

ETA beaten to it.

Edited by Left Back

3 minutes ago, sophia said:

Tokely abused a vulnerable female. She had to get a court order to stop him from further abusing her. Given other off field issues involving alcohol with this twat it’s quite disturbing you seem to keep defending him. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Tokely abused a vulnerable female. She had to get a court order to stop him from further abusing her. Given other off field issues involving alcohol with this twat it’s quite disturbing you seem to keep defending him. 

Please desist with your misogynistic language. It's not a good look. 

The substantive issue that the typical p&b pile-on ignores is the necessary and urgent health intervention that would be to our collective advantage. 

I read rants but nothing to suggest that there is anything more than a broad aquiescence that our drinking culture* as it presents should persist. Maybe I'm flat out wrong and nothing needs to change. 

*it's culture Jim but not as we know it

41 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Sophia is a lunatic best ignored, to be fair. 

Wherever the nannies need defending, Sophia will be found.

For their own sake I hope they are a troll.

Not got to the end of thread but for some reason I assumed it was something that the government then clawed back and had totally missed that it simply goes in retailers pocket.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Please desist with your misogynistic language. It's not a good look. 

The substantive issue that the typical p&b pile-on ignores is the necessary and urgent health intervention that would be to our collective advantage. 

I read rants but nothing to suggest that there is anything more than a broad aquiescence that our drinking culture* as it presents should persist. Maybe I'm flat out wrong and nothing needs to change. 

*it's culture Jim but not as we know it

What mysoginistic language?

Does this need to be passed in Parliament by all parties. There was carry on about gender stuff before, but all parties agreed to it. Or is it SNP and Greens are pushing it through.  Don't like it either way. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Since MUP came in, alcohol related deaths have increased in Scotland. Ignorjng the inflation costs etc, the policy has failed on its own terms. The hardcore alcoholics will miss food, stop heating and so on to keep drinking. 

The argument, seriously, is that 'they would have increased more.' 

28 minutes ago, RH33 said:

What mysoginistic language?

It's a lazy insult, along with nazi and fascist.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Read the actual research, not the BBC one-line summary.

Overall consumption (ie social drinking) is down a bit. 

So...where does the headljne "13% fewer deaths" line come from? Simple. Since MUP, deaths due to alcohol in North East England rise also, and at a slightly faster rate than in Scotland. That's it. It was all extrapolated from that one comparison. 

If I was going to delve even deeper into this I'd need to see more detailed info on the breakdown of the figures. An increase in deaths since 2018 is hardly surprising given the mass "stay at home" message for a fair proportion of the population due to COVID with pubs shut for ages and folk drinking in the house using "house" measures.  Boredom possibly contributed to increased consumption.

However, I think I've said as much as I think is necessary on this, so unless anything significant crops up, I'll leave it for now.

13 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If I was going to delve even deeper into this I'd need to see more detailed info on the breakdown of the figures. An increase in deaths since 2018 is hardly surprising given the mass "stay at home" message for a fair proportion of the population due to COVID with pubs shut for ages and folk drinking in the house using "house" measures.  Boredom possibly contributed to increased consumption.

However, I think I've said as much as I think is necessary on this, so unless anything significant crops up, I'll leave it for now.

Have a look at my post from March 21st 2023.

It goes into a detailed breakdown of the lancet article.

Anyway, as a reminder here is the graphs from that article.

gr2.jpg

Show me the big drop from 2018 please.