Cove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

I can’t recall any team whinging and moaning as much as Cove Rangers have done. Their one sided view on the game and decisions made by officials is really quite disgraceful. They simply refuse to accept they have been beaten fair and square. They had two chances to beat the team that finished bottom of the Scottish league and they came up short on both occasions. It’s not the first time they have complained about officials as they did the same when they lost to Edinburgh City. They should be taken to task by the authorities as they are questioning the integrity of the referee and assistants at the game on Saturday. The tie did not hinge on one alleged foul on the keeper. The tie hinged on their inability to keep a lead they had. Cove were outplayed in the second half. That’s how they lost the tie.

Seem to remember the decision he was talking about in the city game was a 90th min disallowed goal in the second leg- when the score was 4-1 to city

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Well done seven. Two from them from the same Cove fan another one doesn’t mention the “incident” another one from a Pars fan, aye he would be neutral. So you’ve got a barrowload of comments.

You’ve also got no idea what went on so just leave it before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Bottom line is Cove should have won but completely imploded second half and disgraced themselves in the process.

Who mentioned a barrowload ?   I just gave a few examples .   

You are correct , I wasn't at the game but it sounds as if there are two sides to the story . Each as biased as the other.   My mate was there though and couldn't believe the refereeing display in that second half.  He said that it was almost as if the officials had been nobbled at half time , but we know that doesn't go on . 

Reading between the lines though it does seem that there was a bit of provocation and gamesmanship such as the ball boys being withdrawn after Cowden went ahead. ( we have witnessed that a few times down there too )   I have played the game myself and know what it is like when the opposition try to take the piss.  Frustrations do come to the surface. 

From what I can gather as well the implosion didn't happen until after Cowden's 3rd goal when the feeling of injustice set in.   Up until then It seems that Cove were trying to protect a lead . Their plan was seemingly working until the two debatable decisions . Whether they could have held on  otherwise is another matter.  

Until the highlights are shown though we will just have to make our own judgements .  I have a hunch however that the official footage might not go out for public viewing !  ;)

Seem to remember going crazy at the ref a few months ago, maybe home to Clyde?

their keeper dropped it in the net with nobody near him and the ref gave a foul.

as much as we were going mental and calling the ref a cheat, the team didn’t implode and get 5 red cards.

8 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Who mentioned a barrowload ?   I just gave a few examples .   

You are correct , I wasn't at the game but it sounds as if there are two sides to the story . Each as biased as the other.   My mate was there though and couldn't believe the refereeing display in that second half.  He said that it was almost as if the officials had been nobbled at half time , but we know that doesn't go on . 

Reading between the lines though it does seem that there was a bit of provocation and gamesmanship such as the ball boys being withdrawn after Cowden went ahead. ( we have witnessed that a few times down there too )   I have played the game myself and know what it is like when the opposition try to take the piss.  Frustrations do come to the surface. 

From what I can gather as well the implosion didn't happen until after Cowden's 3rd goal when the feeling of injustice set in.   Up until then It seems that Cove were trying to protect a lead . Their plan was seemingly working until the two debatable decisions . Whether they could have held on  otherwise is another matter.  

Until the highlights are shown though we will just have to make our own judgements .  I have a hunch however that the official footage might not go out for public viewing !  ;)

What load of slavering crap. Talking for the sake of it. Are you female by any chance?

Well that was fun.

I'd have been annoyed with the manner in which Cove conceded that last goal as well - though I'd like to see it again on replay. But the bottom line is Cowdenbeath won because they were the better side when the pressure was on. Cove's frustration probably came as much from their inability to create any chances or make any headway in the last period of the game as from any grievances about the ref. (And I didn't see anything to justify any accusation of bias in the game aside from that one incident.)

Cove lost their heads - which happens - and then the manager gets a microphone stuck under his nose before he's calmed down, which is always a daft thing to do. But I'll be disappointed in both Sheran and Cove as a club if they haven't or don't make some sort of subsequent more reasonable statement.

As for the general debate about automatic promotion to and from the League - I doubt there's anyone who doesn't want that to be a target sooner or later. It's pointless arguing about whether it "should" happen, because it's not like we're trying to apply some kind of absolute morality here. It's more useful to discuss what will make it happen. And there probably have to be push and pull factors. In England it took a long time up to the 80s, and the non-league pyramid had to get their house in order, prove both that potential promoted clubs would be of good enough standard to be strong additions to the League, and that the league(s) below would give a viable existence for relegated clubs. It took the formation of the Conference for that to happen. Not that I'm saying a single national league below League 2 is the only way to go - but the SPFL will similarly have to be satisfied of both those things before they'll vote for it. So firstly we'll probably need to see at least another club or two come up, and do okay, and also the Highland and Lowland League will have to be seen to be healthy and thriving and allow for a continuing competitive environment - particularly the Lowland given where most potential relegated clubs will come from.

That's Kelty Hearts in the Lowland League now, and there are other strong junior teams planning to follow them into the Senior set-up. That's all good and well help, but conversely they're not going to be so keen to do so if they perceive there's something of a bottleneck for ambitious teams looking to get to the SPFL. So, like I say, there needs to be some pull from above as well as push from below if people are serious about making it happen.

When teams first started getting relegated automatically from the League in England - back in what, late 80s? - it was almost spoken of as though the club had died. Nowadays it's reached a point where it's just another league. It's slightly harder to get out of with fewer promotion places, but teams come and go up and down over time just as they do another division or two higher up. All part of the natural order (and let's hope Milton Keynes have a few more relegations to go yet).  Hopefully we'll reach the same position in Scotland someday.

Cove have a legitimate grievance with the Cowdenbeath winning goal and that is the lot, any of the other incidents are debatable at best. Their grievance should have been with the referee on that one as Cowdenbeath done what you are taught to do as a boy and played to the whistle. The challenge that led to the rammy was pre meditated and bang out of order.

Guest Bob Mahelp

As far as I'm aware Cowden havnae got 20p to rub together.

No team in the history of Scottish football is less likely to be able to 'nobble' officials than Cowdenbeath FC in 2018.

51 minutes ago, Yoss said:

When teams first started getting relegated automatically from the League in England - back in what, late 80s? - it was almost spoken of as though the club had died. Nowadays it's reached a point where it's just another league. It's slightly harder to get out of with fewer promotion places, but teams come and go up and down over time just as they do another division or two higher up. All part of the natural order (and let's hope Milton Keynes have a few more relegations to go yet).  Hopefully we'll reach the same position in Scotland someday.

First automatic relegation was Lincoln City in 1987. Of the relegated clubs, only three “died” following the long drop: Newport County in 1989, Chester City at the end of the 2000s, and Darlington in 2012.

Lincoln bounced straight back the following season but it takes the extra League clubs a lot longer to return now; the instant bounce back from non league is rare.

The National League’s top teams would probably be about the level of the Scots Championship. It’s a much more professional set up than when it was first founded back in ‘79. That’s shown by the extra FL teams that have dropped out the wrong end of that league- Halifax, York, and this season, re-formed Chester and Torquay.

Well done seven. Two from them from the same Cove fan another one doesn’t mention the “incident” another one from a Pars fan, aye he would be neutral. So you’ve got a barrowload of comments.

You’ve also got no idea what went on so just leave it before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Bottom line is Cove should have won but completely imploded second half and disgraced themselves in the process.

Twitter on Saturday was full of the same regarding the foul to be fair.

Will there be any highlights

Most fans would have been watching where the ball was when the alleged foul happened for the third goal.

The keeper never looked like he was getting back to have any hope of saving Smiths shot, whether he was impeded or not. Maybe the ref thought it was not important. Not sure what the rule is if a couple of players tussle away from the ball when neither can affect the play. Sheerin said the keeper fouled him and the ref ignored it.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

First automatic relegation was Lincoln City in 1987. Of the relegated clubs, only three “died” following the long drop: Newport County in 1989, Chester City at the end of the 2000s, and Darlington in 2012.

Lincoln bounced straight back the following season but it takes the extra League clubs a lot longer to return now; the instant bounce back from non league is rare.

The National League’s top teams would probably be about the level of the Scots Championship. It’s a much more professional set up than when it was first founded back in ‘79. That’s shown by the extra FL teams that have dropped out the wrong end of that league- Halifax, York, and this season, re-formed Chester and Torquay.

Scarborough also died after the long drop- there was a bit of bitterness amongst their fans in that the League denied them the chance to sign emergency loans and were then undone by.. an emergency loan - Carlisle's keeper Jimmy Glass. 

Was it a foul on the keeper? It looked very much like it but Sheerin was very clever as he tried to make it look like an accidental collision - which worked. These things happen in football and you have to get on with it. To then start saying the penalty was soft (it wasn’t soft at all) and the free kick that led to our second was a terrible decision just comes across like sour grapes. 

Cove allowed the situation to develop as such that a controversial decision put us in front. They are angry at themselves and venting at the officials as they know they shouldn’t have been in that situation. To be dominating for 3/4 halfs of a game and only be level isn’t the ref’s fault. 

Their moaning has been brilliant and I could use their salty tears as lubricant. Get it right up them.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Well that was fun.

I'd have been annoyed with the manner in which Cove conceded that last goal as well - though I'd like to see it again on replay. But the bottom line is Cowdenbeath won because they were the better side when the pressure was on. Cove's frustration probably came as much from their inability to create any chances or make any headway in the last period of the game as from any grievances about the ref. (And I didn't see anything to justify any accusation of bias in the game aside from that one incident.)

Cove lost their heads - which happens - and then the manager gets a microphone stuck under his nose before he's calmed down, which is always a daft thing to do. But I'll be disappointed in both Sheran and Cove as a club if they haven't or don't make some sort of subsequent more reasonable statement.

As for the general debate about automatic promotion to and from the League - I doubt there's anyone who doesn't want that to be a target sooner or later. It's pointless arguing about whether it "should" happen, because it's not like we're trying to apply some kind of absolute morality here. It's more useful to discuss what will make it happen. And there probably have to be push and pull factors. In England it took a long time up to the 80s, and the non-league pyramid had to get their house in order, prove both that potential promoted clubs would be of good enough standard to be strong additions to the League, and that the league(s) below would give a viable existence for relegated clubs. It took the formation of the Conference for that to happen. Not that I'm saying a single national league below League 2 is the only way to go - but the SPFL will similarly have to be satisfied of both those things before they'll vote for it. So firstly we'll probably need to see at least another club or two come up, and do okay, and also the Highland and Lowland League will have to be seen to be healthy and thriving and allow for a continuing competitive environment - particularly the Lowland given where most potential relegated clubs will come from.

That's Kelty Hearts in the Lowland League now, and there are other strong junior teams planning to follow them into the Senior set-up. That's all good and well help, but conversely they're not going to be so keen to do so if they perceive there's something of a bottleneck for ambitious teams looking to get to the SPFL. So, like I say, there needs to be some pull from above as well as push from below if people are serious about making it happen.

excellent balanced post, a breath of fresh air in here to be honest.

3 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

So we can add sexism to the disgusting character traits shown by 'Beathers. Truly shocking.

if you like, but definitely no rapists at the club.

its a proven fact women have a certain amount of words to say in a day, and its a great deal higher than men, so its not actually sexism, more factual. i cant remember the exact numbers but something like 10,000 words for females ans maybe 3,000 for males is my guess.

ref: radio 2 factoids broadcast daily weekdays late afternoon

Archived