Toulon Tourney 2018

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Well done Scotland biggest problem at this level is the lack of composure on the ball.

Totally agree with this. all three matches just couldn't keep the ball and it always found its way back to opposition back four in the second half, inviting pressure. Luckily our defence and Alan Campbell were excellent.

2 minutes ago, Dubai Jag said:

Totally agree with this. all three matches just couldn't keep the ball and it always found its way back to opposition back four in the second half, inviting pressure. Luckily our defence and Alan Campbell were excellent.

I've only seen the game today didn't see the french game but Scotland must have done a job on them,watching the first half of the France v Togo there is no doubt they're technique and composure on the ball is much better than Scotland's.  

Hopefully at least one more match in the tournament but so far my rating would be

Goalies, both did Ok but McCroarie should have saved the free kick today.

Defence: fantastic throughout. Ralston apart from first five minutes V Togo, Kerr and Porteus superb. Taylor excellent but needs to move position or he has no chance at senior level.

Midfield: Campbell excellent in Defensive midfield.  Gilmour, a star in the making. Though Middleton did well today, good assist for first goal. Wilson, could be a folk hero but his body shape is worrying, good tournament so far.  Wright was not good in first ( only) match.  Thought young Johnson was MOM in first two games, excellent running and vision. None of the subs  ( st Clair and Burt) inspired.

Burke: deserves a paragraph to himself. Really needs a plan B. Would never score a goal like today in senior football, either going to score fantastic goals or give away possession.

Forward. Thought Hornby did well but first touch is not great but one goal and two assists is not too shabby.

I've only seen the game today didn't see the french game but Scotland must have done a job on them,watching the first half of the France v Togo there is no doubt they're technique and composure on the ball is much better than Scotland's.  

Nope, we dictated the game first half against the French and were comfy on the ball before sitting too deep in the second (just like today)

Hopefully at least one more match in the tournament but so far my rating would be
Goalies, both did Ok but McCroarie should have saved the free kick today.
Defence: fantastic throughout. Ralston apart from first five minutes V Togo, Kerr and Porteus superb. Taylor excellent but needs to move position or he has no chance at senior level.
Midfield: Campbell excellent in Defensive midfield.  Gilmour, a star in the making. Though Middleton did well today, good assist for first goal. Wilson, could be a folk hero but his body shape is worrying, good tournament so far.  Wright was not good in first ( only) match.  Thought young Johnson was MOM in first two games, excellent running and vision. None of the subs  ( st Clair and Burt) inspired.
Burke: deserves a paragraph to himself. Really needs a plan B. Would never score a goal like today in senior football, either going to score fantastic goals or give away possession.
Forward. Thought Hornby did well but first touch is not great but one goal and two assists is not too shabby.

McCrorie wasn’t playing.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Nope, we dictated the game first half against the French and were comfy on the ball before sitting too deep in the second (just like today)

McCrorie wasn’t playing.

Yip. Apologies for that.  Goalie today looked OK apart from the free kick. In the three games only had about three saves to make but under pressure all the time, more kudos to the defence.

Yip. Apologies for that.  Goalie today looked OK apart from the free kick. In the three games only had about three saves to make but under pressure all the time, more kudos to the defence.

Given the rumours of Ayr signing McCrorie I was interested to see how he got on, easy mistake to make at an unders game!

6 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Burke’s goal was absolutely magical, no idea how anyone can prefer a bang average goal to it. Burke a hate figure these days? 

The first touch to take the onrushing defender out the game is magic.

As well as that, the finish is wide enough so that the blocking defender and the goalkeeper both can't reach, and it's narrow enough so that it avoids the defender to his right and doesn't go wide. There was such a small gap for him to aim for.

It's ok to like more than one thing. X

18 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

The ball is dribbling towards him, he could take that first touch wherever he wants to. It’s a good finish but goals like that are scored every single week.

If Messi had scored Burke’s goal you and the other fan boys stuck in 2013 would go on about it for years. 

I'd love to see some clips of Scottish footballers controlling a football which are better than that. He COMMANDED the ball like a pied piper on crack! "You are mine m'lady! And with all due respect... forgive me... for now I must kick your face far away!.... Aaaa!" I thought it was a beautiful wee goal.

Managed to find a stream (in Spanish mind you) of Canada vs. Japan and we've scored within 10 minutes!  And it was a pretty nice goal too, Canadian player dispossessed the Japanese player near the touchline, planed a nice long cross to Blair who did a cheeky finish through a defenders leg.  On our way to a date with Mexico in the Semi final.  Scotland, we will see you in the final!

Archived