Trophy day. Celtic v Aberdeen

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

So f*ck all to do with Rangers then, cheers.

Just stating facts, Celtic fans have a terrible habit of looking at games/ seasons in isolation. Distracts from the fact how dire them and rest of Scottish football has become. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Just stating facts, Celtic fans have a terrible habit of looking at games/ seasons in isolation. Distracts from the fact how dire them and rest of Scottish football has become. 

I think you've been taken in by the English football media machine pal. The Scottish game has improved significantly as a whole in the last 10-15 years, and it's also sustainable now (with the exception of sevco). There's still a long way to go, but the future is bright for football in our country, and we certainly don't need to belittle it ourselves. There's plenty know-it-all English fannies to do that for us.

30 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Barca - Unbelievable luck in a game where you had under 20% of the ball

Later stages of CL - Luck again and down to other teams being poor more than Celtic being deserving.  

tenor.gif

20 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I think you've been taken in by the English football media machine pal. The Scottish game has improved significantly as a whole in the last 10-15 years, and it's also sustainable now (with the exception of sevco). There's still a long way to go, but the future is bright for football in our country, and we certainly don't need to belittle it ourselves. There's plenty know-it-all English fannies to do that for us.

We're better than we were 10-15 years ago? Look at some of the players we had in Scotland then compared to now (we weren't all that good then either). One of the best players in the country is being chased by a team that have only just secured their EPL status. Aberdeen have lost their POTY to a bang average Championship team. Three out of four teams went out of Europe with a whimper.

Celtic have done okay to get to the last 32 of the Europa this season and CL group stages two out of the last four years but they aren't Scottish football. But think about it, that's now an achievement for them. At one point we had two of the biggest teams in the world, now it's singing and dancing for getting down to the last 32 of the back-up European competition? Aye, big improvements. 

49 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

We're better than we were 10-15 years ago? Look at some of the players we had in Scotland then compared to now (we weren't all that good then either). One of the best players in the country is being chased by a team that have only just secured their EPL status. Aberdeen have lost their POTY to a bang average Championship team. Three out of four teams went out of Europe with a whimper.

Celtic have done okay to get to the last 32 of the Europa this season and CL group stages two out of the last four years but they aren't Scottish football. But think about it, that's now an achievement for them. At one point we had two of the biggest teams in the world, now it's singing and dancing for getting down to the last 32 of the back-up European competition? Aye, big improvements. 

we lost mckenna?

I remember us holding on to our player of the season, when that was Mark Kerr. ah, the good old days.

3 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

As you've said elsewhere, it correlates to money of course but there are modifiers which make that correlation more, or less accurate. For example, if you look at league position purely within Scotland relative to outgoings, most clubs have the relative points total/position you'd expect. There are major outliers (as there always are), those being Celtic (should be much further in front), Rangers (should be clear in 2nd), and probably Dundee Utd (although I admit I've forgotten all about them, and have no idea where their finances are these days). All-in-all, a fairly accurate correlation.

The correlation becomes less distinct when you cross international lines. For example, if you placed each Scottish team within the English setup, the Scottish teams would in general far outperform the English relative to current resources. The reasons for this are numerous but perhaps one of the most important is that Scotland attracts a large number of players who are attracted to a greater opportunity of winning things, playing in Europe, and of course, most simply originate here. There are other contributors, mainly financial which can (but very much not always) contribute, such as not paying tax (Sevco), buying out referees (Sevco), infiltrating the governing body (Sevco still to this day).

However, from a player's perspective moving to the English Championship is a very attractive proposition. Those clubs don't generally have a turnover that is excessively greater than Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs; around the same as Sevco (supposedly). They do however, spend anywhere up to 166% of turnover on wages, meaning they are paying far in excess of us on wages. There is also the possibility of gaining promotion to an undoubtedly better league.

Overall, there is undoubtedly a financial gap, but there is also a rule of diminishing returns, and it is far too simplistic to say 'that league has more money, so it must be better'.

46 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When was the last time that Celtic lost a home league game. (Just to bring the thread back to almost it’s raison d’etre)

Against Motherwell, sometime in December I'm sure, 2015.

My guess is that Reynolds will replace the suspended McKenna and that Stewart will be in for the ineligible Christie. May might also replace Cosgrove, just for some additional mobility in the final third. I wouldn't necessarily be averse to starting them both, but I don't think that is in McInnes' nature to start two strikers away at Parkhead - and it also could leave us short in midfield. Either way, I hope we turn up and have a go. I'm predicting a narrow defeat, with the occupants of second place determined by the result at Easter Road. 

12 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

no injuries before the cup final please....

any player that's meant to start next week should be sitting in the stand

Next week it should be the team that beat Sevco with Dembele in for Edouard. I’m aware you never asked this and it doesn’t relate to the Aberdeen game but still...

I am of the opinion that the Scottish Cup final team should get game time to keep them sharp. 

Archived