Dundee United 2018/2019

25 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Why not ? Seems to have the respect of the players, knows what the fans expect , football man, United man , has worked at Tannadice top level..............what's the down side ?

Ellis seems to have done a very decent job in his last - albeit brief - spell as caretaker so I'd have no qualms about him stepping into that role again. If he sets the heather on fire then he might be considered longer term.

The bits in bold are .. baws, no?

55 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Why not ? Seems to have the respect of the players, knows what the fans expect , football man, United man , has worked at Tannadice top level..............what's the down side ?

Didn’t want the job last time around, doubt if that will have changed.

I think he has a bit to contribute; hopefully a manager who is not a total zoomer will listen to what Ellis has to say and work closely with him.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, Zoomer Brown said:

Didn’t want the job last time around, doubt if that will have changed.

unless he didn't want his mates job last time?

Could be I suppose.  Personally whilst I respect Ellis I think someone with a bit more experience is needed though I recognise it’s all very subjective.  Possibly Ellis could do a great job.

Like I said in my last post I’d want a new manager to harness what Ellis can offer.

At the risk of stating the obvious we cannot afford another mistake; the stakes are really too high.

Derek Adams is looking likely to be punted in the next few weeks. Rooted to the bottom, terrible relationship with the Plymouth fans after his comments at the weekend as well.

Only sticking point is his 5 year contract they'd have to pay up.

If you wait a few weeks he'd be an ideal choice for United.

Did Laurie Ellis apply for the Raith Rovers job when it was vacant recently? I genuinely don't know, that wasn't a rhetorical question. If he was interested in going into management, given his history with that club you'd think he would have at least applied for that job.

Id give Ellis the job as an infill till we get some applicants.

Interview them, if none are inspiring and Ellis is doing OK then give him it long term.

If theres an amazing applicant who wants the job then see if he'll work with the existing team.

To be honest, last time around before Laszlo, i thought we needed someone experienced, a manager who knows Scottish football and the market. While that sounds good, on paper thats what Laszlo almost looked like before he came in.

Now, i think we just need someone who knows how to set a team up to do the simple things well. Basically have a plan A, B and C. Maybe have a few contacts for players but ideally, work with the reasonable squad we have - its mostly good enough to win this league. To me, that could be Ellis.

Did Laurie Ellis apply for the Raith Rovers job when it was vacant recently? I genuinely don't know, that wasn't a rhetorical question. If he was interested in going into management, given his history with that club you'd think he would have at least applied for that job.

Maybe the mans like a stick of rock. Cut the end off and it says DUFC all the way through !

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Derek Adams is looking likely to be punted in the next few weeks. Rooted to the bottom, terrible relationship with the Plymouth fans after his comments at the weekend as well.

Only sticking point is his 5 year contract they'd have to pay up.

If you wait a few weeks he'd be an ideal choice for United.

Derek Adams is an egotistical spoon who falls out with everyone and sticks the head on people when things are going wrong.

The Paul Hartley school of management.

57 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Id give Ellis the job as an infill till we get some applicants.

Interview them, if none are inspiring and Ellis is doing OK then give him it long term.

If theres an amazing applicant who wants the job then see if he'll work with the existing team.

To be honest, last time around before Laszlo, i thought we needed someone experienced, a manager who knows Scottish football and the market. While that sounds good, on paper thats what Laszlo almost looked like before he came in.

Now, i think we just need someone who knows how to set a team up to do the simple things well. Basically have a plan A, B and C. Maybe have a few contacts for players but ideally, work with the reasonable squad we have - its mostly good enough to win this league. To me, that could be Ellis.

I’d be happy with a Plan A tbh.

Currently we have a hospitality and booze based businessman (Fyffe), a banker (Martin) and a former City Council executive (Dorward) on the board. I genuinely think that there are people on here with more footballing experience when it comes to identifying a new manager. I'm terrified of what they come up with as a next appointment given our track record in recent years. 

We really need a Chief Executive/Director of Football type person with experience and contacts to allow for the right appointment. 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d be happy with a Plan A tbh.

Its negotiations, Granny.

Mike Martin - We want plan A B and C. Its a must. For a club of our size, history and stature its a requirement we cant bend on that.

Manager - I have plan A.

Mike Martin - Deal!