A lot of blame for our league cup campaign seems to sit with the Hutton carsewell issue but to me there is more than that .

if we were set up defensively yesterday and didn’t have a go that game plan lasted about 65 seconds and we didn’t defend well at all 

when I saw the team I thought Forbes Paton Barr loy, 4 attack minded players might not be too bad but they offered nothing. At certain points ball played to loy with others 50 yards away.

im struggling to remember bobby barr carrying the ball forward at any point during game. I don’t get our continual decision to play the ball backwards.

im hoping that from next week down a level or 2 we can pick up as we have done from other league cup seasons but Spartans and QP didn’t sell that too me.

re size of squad . Don’t expect more signings other than youth loans as normal but that will top squad up to about 20. 

As said before I didn’t expect a better result outcome yesterday nor an all out attacking performance but I did expect better attitude and decision making than we got.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

A lot of blame for our league cup campaign seems to sit with the Hutton carsewell issue but to me there is more than that .

if we were set up defensively yesterday and didn’t have a go that game plan lasted about 65 seconds and we didn’t defend well at all 

when I saw the team I thought Forbes Paton Barr loy, 4 attack minded players might not be too bad but they offered nothing. At certain points ball played to loy with others 50 yards away.

im struggling to remember bobby barr carrying the ball forward at any point during game. I don’t get our continual decision to play the ball backwards.

im hoping that from next week down a level or 2 we can pick up as we have done from other league cup seasons but Spartans and QP didn’t sell that too me.

re size of squad . Don’t expect more signings other than youth loans as normal but that will top squad up to about 20. 

As said before I didn’t expect a better result outcome yesterday nor an all out attacking performance but I did expect better attitude and decision making than we got.

I agree with you on that. But I'd also love to know how many touches of the ball they actually got. I don't think we (as a team) managed to link more than five passes together at any stage yesterday. It didn't seem to matter who got the ball, the plan was just to lump it as far away as possible, unfortunately when your back four are playing as sweepers, your midfield are playing as a back four and your striker is about 40 yards away from anyone else that means you're always going to be horribly outnumbered if you try and venture forward.

The only exception was Little, who went on a wee run in the second-half (from right-back) only to reach the edge of the area and have no Sons player within about 20 yards of him.

Having slept on it, I'm still pissed off. Defensive set up for no reason that I can fathom, hoofball and then lose possession, constant invitation to St Mirren to attack us.
The other thing was the blatant lack of a Plan B. I really hope that I can look back on yesterday's and this morning comments that I posted and realise that it was a one off bad day at the office after a successful, attack minded and entertaining season.
I hope.

One of the issues playing hutton and Carswell together is they are too similar. The centre of midfield dictates the tempo of the rest of the team and we have 2 guys who sit in front of the defence and don't move. Neither of them make any driving runs forward, try get up to support the forward players or offer anything other than the job they are there to do, break up the play. This is the reason that we look like a back 6 and a front 4 that are totally separated and what is frustrating everyone. They should be offering to take the ball from anyone on the park but this is not the case, hence why we often hump it up the park and try to feed off scraps.

18 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Go to 1 minute in the highlights and watch Kyle Hutton, that sums up our performance yesterday.

:lol: Great spot

The highlights are worth watching for McGinn and Smith's goals. Both of them were absolutely excellent. McGinn's was about as perfect as you could possibly get.

Did my ears deceive me, or did Stevie say on SonsTV that 'we tried to start on the front foot with two wingers'?
Surely he doesn't think that attacking the game was the issue yesterday?

We conceded 6 goals, maybe the answer is to go even deeper? Carswell and Hutton will slot in nicely next to Dowie and Barr with Forbes and Loy protecting the back 8.

Did my ears deceive me, or did Stevie say on SonsTV that 'we tried to start on the front foot with two wingers'?

FFS, I had to watch it to hear what he said. It's like trying to not look at cleavage that's right in front of you or looking directly at the sun.........

By the way, your hearing is fine. Fuckin unbelievable.

4 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

We conceded 6 goals, maybe the answer is to go even deeper? Carswell and Hutton will slot in nicely next to Dowie and Barr with Forbes and Loy protecting the back 8.

Starting with two goalkeepers would be a good idea. They might get in each other's way, but that's not stopped us persevering with Carsy and Hutton.

1 minute ago, Jumbo Muir said:

FFS, I had to watch it to hear what he said. It's like trying to not look at cleavage that's right in front of you or looking directly at the sun.........

I was hoping that yesterday might've been a jolt to go more attacking...but it might just have the opposite impact.

Spoiler

:(

Absolutely spot on. The players are there but the positioning is awful.
Hutton just in front of the defence would be better with Carswell possibly playing wide right and Forbes wide left with Paton in the middle and Loy and one other up front.
Right back is the Achilles heel, saw that against Arbroath, Alloa, Hearts and Kilmarnock.
Think League One will be exciting though.

Stuart Carswell is currently DFC's longest-serving player at 2-1/2 seasons.  When he joined the club he had a very positive  impact acting as a midfield anchor - fetching, carrying and breaking up opposition moves.  Since the arrival of Kyle Hutton that player has completely disappeared from view; that is, the whole of last season and already into this one.  Hutton has provided a six-game spell in the middle of last season  in which he was decent, otherwise it has been largely mediocrity and evidence of his journey around Scottish football.

No matter the opposition, we simply cannot play two one-paced inherently defensive-minded midfielders and expect anything other than we have seen for the last year.   Tell you what, if Ryan Thomson is fit come Saturday let's perm him, Barr, Forbes and Paton in midfield and start a game without Carswell or Hutton on the park.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Stuart Carswell is currently DFC's longest-serving player at 2-1/2 seasons.  When he joined the club he had a very positive  impact acting as a midfield anchor - fetching, carrying and breaking up opposition moves.  Since the arrival of Kyle Hutton that player has completely disappeared from view; that is, the whole of last season and already into this one.  Hutton has provided a six-game spell in the middle of last season  in which he was decent, otherwise it has been largely mediocrity and evidence of his journey around Scottish football.

No matter the opposition, we simply cannot play two one-paced inherently defensive-minded midfielders and expect anything other than we have seen for the last year.   Tell you what, if Ryan Thomson is fit come Saturday let's perm him, Barr, Forbes and Paton in midfield and start a game without Carswell or Hutton on the park.

I wouldn't drop both Carswell and Hutton. Hutton has looked unfit and is blowing out his arse after around 60 minutes so he'd be the obvious one to drop.

Carswell and Forbes in the middle of the park, Paton and Barr wide and Thomson playing behind the striker.

I wouldn't drop both Carswell and Hutton. Hutton has looked unfit and is blowing out his arse after around 60 minutes so he'd be the obvious one to drop.
Carswell and Forbes in the middle of the park, Paton and Barr wide and Thomson playing behind the striker.
I'd go with that but I'd prefer Callum Gallagher in behind the striker. I view Thomson as more of a deep lying player rather than one who will operate best in the final third. If we are to persevere with two deeper central midfielders then I think Thomson should be the one to partner Carswell.

If we're to get the best out of Loy he needs some to feed off and Seagal seems like the ideal fit IMO. Not to mention he's probably been our best performer since the Challenge Cup final.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd go with that but I'd prefer Callum Gallagher in behind the striker. I view Thomson as more of a deep lying player rather than one who will operate best in the final third. If we are to persevere with two deeper central midfielders then I think Thomson should be the one to partner Carswell.

If we're to get the best out of Loy he needs some to feed off and Seagal seems like the ideal fit IMO. Not to mention he's probably been our best performer since the Challenge Cup final.

Now why cant SA see that when he leaves RL on his todd with no one to close to him for 30 yards.?Its unbelievable ineptitude and not for the first time....

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

1 hour ago, Jumbo Muir said:

14 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Now why cant SA see that when he leaves RL on his todd with no one to close to him for 30 yards.?Its unbelievable ineptitude and not for the first time....

#StevieAitkenTacticalGenius count for the season = 1.

Archived