15 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Of course its not knee jerk....we have been shite all year .......im not wearing the arguement its too early because its a mentality that is wrong not the players.Also sticking by players who arent good enough is another annoying trait of SA.This has been brewing for some time.He has the squad but the tactics and performances are dire.

This is interesting though... A couple of our fans thought we had picked our best 11 before kick off yesterday.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

This is interesting though... A couple of our fans thought we had picked our best 11 before kick off yesterday.

Our best XI wouldn't include Ross Perry. Or Kyle Hutton.

Imo 4-1-3-2 suits us. Back four picks itself, Carsy in front of the back four, Paton and Barr wide. Forbes in the middle, Loy and Gallagher up top.

Unfortunately there appears to be very little chance of Stevie going with that team.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Our best XI wouldn't include Ross Perry. Or Kyle Hutton.

Imo 4-1-3-2 suits us. Back four picks itself, Carsy in front of the back four, Paton and Barr wide. Forbes in the middle, Loy and Gallagher up top.

Unfortunately there appears to be very little chance of Stevie going with that team.

As isaid previously in this post. A lot of blame going onto Hutton/ carsewell .

ive still to see how our best team will include bobby barr and what he offers or ross Forbes. Again I’m hoping down a level will prove me wrong 

16 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

As isaid previously in this post. A lot of blame going onto Hutton/ carsewell .

ive still to see how our best team will include bobby barr and what he offers or ross Forbes. Again I’m hoping down a level will prove me wrong 

Perhaps because there's a very considerable body of evidence available before a ball was kicked yesterday.  Barr and Forbes are hardly in the door.

In summary I think we all are thinking this:-

We have a potentially great squad for league 1 but unless one of Carswell and Hutton are benched this really is useless.

We could have played with a front 4 of Sinclair, Rogic, Forrest and Eduard and they would have been isolated and done nothing. There literally was no way for any of our front 4 to express themselves.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd go with that but I'd prefer Callum Gallagher in behind the striker. I view Thomson as more of a deep lying player rather than one who will operate best in the final third. If we are to persevere with two deeper central midfielders then I think Thomson should be the one to partner Carswell.

If we're to get the best out of Loy he needs some to feed off and Seagal seems like the ideal fit IMO. Not to mention he's probably been our best performer since the Challenge Cup final.

tbh until Loy is properly fit I'd be tempted to go with Seagal up front. I like the idea of Thomson winning headers for a striker to run on to or holding the ball up to give the striker a chance to find some space. That said, you might be on to something with Thomson as more of a midfielder who'll drive forward from deep.

Gallagher deserves a chance this season. If we can get him playing with confidence then he can be a very good player for us.

2 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Arguably it was given only 15 players available....but he is sticking with the ineffectual hutton just like he did with handling last season.It was obvious to everyone except SA that he wasnt good enough

My ideal line up for Saturday would be 4-4-1-1
Adam
Little Dowie Barr dyer
Paton carswell Forbes Barr
Thomson
Loy

Unless Ballantyne is fully fit, Thomson good at heading for loy and Forbes better in CM for spraying the ball about

Can’t remember who the people are on here that talked before about organising events before the game. (Can’t be bothered looking back either)

what about “Footy, Pie and a Pint” could play Recordings of old games then at half time you get pie and beans and a drink. Charge £5/10 for it. Get people down early and using the bar. Could start with the airdrie play offs.

I'll be astonished if Hutton and Carswell don't start together on Saturday, unfortunately. We're clearly crying out for one of them to be dropped, playing one deep with Forbes further forward in front of them.

I'd like the SeaGall to be given a chance, but I don't see that happening either.

Assuming Ballantyne is still out I'd pick: Adam, Perry, C.Barr, Dowie, Dyer, Carswell, Forbes, B.Barr, Paton, Loy, Gallagher.

What we'll see in reality will be the same team as St Mirren. Just have to hope our better players actually turn up.

14 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

In summary I think we all are thinking this:-

We have a potentially great squad for league 1 but unless one of Carswell and Hutton are benched this really is useless.

We could have played with a front 4 of Sinclair, Rogic, Forrest and Eduard and they would have been isolated and done nothing. There literally was no way for any of our front 4 to express themselves.

Never heard of them.

19 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Arguably it was given only 15 players available....but he is sticking with the ineffectual hutton just like he did with handling last season.It was obvious to everyone except SA that he wasnt good enough

I'm not a Hutton fanboy but I don't rate Carswell as any better. I think most of our fans think Carswell is better based on his showing in his first 6 months with us, which makes no difference to how he is playing now.

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I'm not a Hutton fanboy but I don't rate Carswell as any better. I think most of our fans think Carswell is better based on his showing in his first 6 months with us, which makes no difference to how he is playing now.

As I posted yesterday it makes every difference if you compare those first six months of Stuart Carswell with the period in which he and Kyle Hutton have been played in tandem.  IMO Hutton has contributed little of note on his own account in midfield, but his presence has also had a detrimental effect on Carswell's performances.  A double whammy in other words, but it's all about opinions. 

I have to disagree with this, I think it does make a difference. Carswell was excellent for us when he was deployed alongside Sam Stanton, he was able to his job and had players around him that meant he was effective.

He hasn't become a bad player since then and for me it's fairly obvious if you play him alongside Hutton you have 2 players trying to do the exact same job and nullifying the effectiveness of 1 player playing that role.

FWIW I view Carswell as the superior player out the two and if he was paired with someone who complimented him he'd get back to the form of his first 6 months. Hutton looks unfit and at times he doesn't look like he remotely gives a f**k.

It really does astound me that Aitken has failed to recognise this so far.

The only thing Hutton is better than Carswell at is a cross field 40 yard pass.  Every other area Carswell is superior and IMHO, Hutton should be taking his place on the bench after his pre-season showing.

The only thing that worries me there is that when we were in the Championship Aitken claimed Kyle Hutton shouldn't be playing that level of football.  When we were relegated I thought "maybe he's right" and Kyle Hutton would excel in this division. I can't say I've seen anything in pre-season to convince me that's the case for Hutton. As I said on the previous pages, it really is down to Aitken and Durrant to get the right team on the pitch now. Failure in that respect could see him shown the door sooner rather than later.

Just to post on here too, but we've got local rock band The Foz playing in the bar on the 11th August and local traditional/folk band Inis Fada plaging on the 18th. Both have been plying their trade for years in the local area so should both be great days, hopefully get a good turnout!

If anyone fancies playing a set or knows someone who would be interested, feel free to give me a message on here. We're hoping to have an act on at every home game but I'll need some more bands coming forward if that's the case. 

Archived