If it's any consolation the last time we played St Mirren at their place in the League Cup after previously winning a penalty shoot-out we lost not by six but by seven goals.

Then we went on to win the league.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Just to post on here too, but we've got local rock band The Foz playing in the bar on the 11th August and local traditional/folk band Inis Fada plaging on the 18th. Both have been plying their trade for years in the local area so should both be great days, hopefully get a good turnout!

If anyone fancies playing a set or knows someone who would be interested, feel free to give me a message on here. We're hoping to have an act on at every home game but I'll need some more bands coming forward if that's the case. 

Please, God, not Howlin' Wilf! :whistle

9 minutes ago, the snudge said:

What ever happened to the Stirlingshire Cup? Do we not have an outstanding fixture from a couple of years ago against Falkirk? 

I think all teams involved are just letting it die. It was pretty pointless and with us having no youth team or reserves I doubt we're interested in adding more games to our calendar.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think all teams involved are just letting it die. It was pretty pointless and with us having no youth team or reserves I doubt we're interested in adding more games to our calendar.

Should make it a fans team competition.

£12 for grumpy old sods like me to get into EF on Saturday - that's £2 more than the Sons Siro (and I thought £10 was steep). If I'd been a grumpy old Bairn last weekend it would have been a fiver.

Beer better be cheap.

There's a big feature length interview with Stevie on the OS. Well worth a read:

• Squad is likely complete (as I said :whistle)
  • "We want to put a team on the pitch playing entertaining football and winning games, and to score more goals"
  • He believes team spirit will be huge...which (if I'm reading between the lines correctly) we lacked last season with our massive squad 
  • Ross Perry can play at left-back :unsure:

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3725

42 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

There's a big feature length interview with Stevie on the OS. Well worth a read:

• "We want to put a team on the pitch playing entertaining football and winning games, and to score more goals"
  • He believes team spirit will be huge...which (if I'm reading between the lines correctly) we lacked last season with our massive squad 

He says we had 20 players last year, but did we not have 21 leave us in the summer? :unsure2:

That last line of "Stay with us" is a clear cry to those who have deserted us over the summer. Sadly, I think Stevie's words are now beyond comprehension for some fans, it's all coming down to what we do on the pitch. As long as he's true to his "more attacking football, more goals, win games" philosophy then he might win some over.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He says we had 20 players last year, but did we not have 21 leave us in the summer? :unsure2:

That last line of "Stay with us" is a clear cry to those who have deserted us over the summer. Sadly, I think Stevie's words are now beyond comprehension for some fans, it's all coming down to what we do on the pitch. As long as he's true to his "more attacking football, more goals, win games" philosophy then he might win some over.

20 left us over the summer, which is what I assume he meant. He also said we've brought 12 in which counts Beany as a new signing. Last season 28 players played for us (competitively) though, so I suppose it's understandable that he's lost count :lol:

Thank f*** I was at the V.D. clinic that day.

Unlikely. I’d have thought only those in gainful employment would be attending a medical appointment on a Sunday. Also a certain set of circumstances would apply in advance of contracting a sexually transmitted disease.

I must admit, whilst I'm all for quality over quantity, to only have 6 available subs when everyone is fit (how often will that be throughout the course of a season?) is a real concern for me. I really expected us to bring in a loan or 2 to complement what we have. To add to my concern I'm not remotely convinced Perry or Russell are good enough to cover for anymore than a game or two should injuries or suspensions become an issue. Of course we can play trialists in this league but realisticly who will be available to step in, in say mid November should we have 3 injuries and a suspension?

I don't want a bloated squad of average players but at the same time I don't want a threadbare squad with little to no depth. It's a very fine line and we're most definitely treading it.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I must admit, whilst I'm all for quality over quantity, to only have 6 available subs when everyone is fit (how often will that be throughout the course of a season?) is a real concern for me. I really expected us to bring in a loan or 2 to complement what we have. To add to my concern I'm not remotely convinced Perry or Russell are good enough to cover for anymore than a game or two should injuries or suspensions become an issue. Of course we can play trialists in this league but realisticly who will be available to step in, in say mid November should we have 3 injuries and a suspension?

I don't want a bloated squad of average players but at the same time I don't want a threadbare squad with little to no depth. It's a very fine line and we're most definitely treading it.

I am sure that Mr Durrant will sweet talk at least one Rangers youth player into a loan signing for Dumbarton.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Russell and Perry and direct consequences of the other quality we have signed.  I genuinely don't think we see either of those players if we don't sign Forbes, Loy and Paton. The budget we're on dictated that a sacrifice had to be made somewhere. Would we be happy not having Forbes, Loy and Paton for 3 players who are inferior but slightly improving the bench at the same time (with more numbers)? I do agree that it will likely be our downfall this year, but I'd rather we had a starting 11 capable of going up than a squad capable of finishing mid table/surviving.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'm sure Andy Galloway's flowered that up considerably, though it's maybe dependent on who Stevie counts in the 'we'.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Six subs is more than enough

Six subs is more than enough
Is it? What do we do if we have 3 players out through suspension or injury? That leaves you with 2 outfield subs and a goalkeeper, 1 of those outfield subs could be a defender. It doesn't give you much scope to change a game if things aren't going your way.

I agree that 6 subs should be enough if everyone is fit but I'd imagine the chances of us having everyone fit for every game this season are slim to none. It's a risky move when you can't fill your bench with everyone fit, whether or not the risk pays off remains to be seen.

Archived