Ian MacDonald (remember him?) of the Stag's Head was asked by Airdrie fans before the earlier season fixture if he'd consider opening the pub on New Year's Day for the game that day if they would bring a couple of busloads.

He was considering it until he caught one lot nipping to the off-sales and passing the purchases over the fence to the mates in the beer garden, then overheard some more discussing ways to wreck the gantry.

You can take the scum out of Lanarkshire, but..

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ian MacDonald (remember him?) of the Stag's Head was asked by Airdrie fans before the earlier season fixture if he'd consider opening the pub on New Year's Day for the game that day if they would bring a couple of busloads.
He was considering it until he caught one lot nipping to the off-sales and passing the purchases over the fence to the mates in the beer garden, then overheard some more discussing ways to wreck the gantry.
._20180807_093146.JPG

Before and after the New Saints tie in March I was interviewed at home by BBC Radio Shropshire as a light-hearted backdrop to the Irn Bru Cup semi-final in Oswestry.

I've been utterly shocked today to learn of the sudden death at age 41 of Vicki Archer who spoke with me on the Monday drivetime show.

A very sad postscript to the best away trip I've had in over 55 years of following the Sons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-45101092

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Before and after the New Saints tie in March I was interviewed at home by BBC Radio Shropshire as a light-hearted backdrop to the Irn Bru Cup semi-final in Oswestry.

I've been utterly shocked today to learn of the sudden death at age 41 of Vicki Archer who spoke with me on the Monday drivetime show.

A very sad postscript to the best away trip I've had in over 55 years of following the Sons.

That is very sad indeed. No age at all.

I remember posting a link to the app/website - 'Radio Garden' on Sons Sorrow thread, for people to listen in on your BBC Radio Shropshire interview.

Condolences to her folks

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sad news indeed, I remember the interview well and it was a definite highlight of the whole surrounding festival.

16 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Maybe I missed a New Years Day game with Airdrie as I scoured the results section in Jim McAllister's Official History this evening. Couldn't find one but I did notice that the proof reader missed something that I have only just noticed despite having had the said book for many years. Those who think that certain inhabitants of North Lanarkshire have a pungent odour, might be interested to know that throughout the said results section, the club from Broomfield is referred to as ArdrieONIONS. Go and check your copy!

12 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Maybe I missed a New Years Day game with Airdrie as I scoured the results section in Jim McAllister's Official History this evening. Couldn't find one but I did notice that the proof reader missed something that I have only just noticed despite having had the said book for many years. Those who think that certain inhabitants of North Lanarkshire have a pungent odour, might be interested to know that throughout the said results section, the club from Broomfield is referred to as ArdrieONIONS. Go and check your copy!

We played Airdrie in new years day around 2003. Game ended 1-0 to us. Emika Obidile with the goal.

We played Airdrie in new years day around 2003. Game ended 1-0 to us. Emika Obidile with the goal.
Correct although the score was 2-1 with John Dillon scoring our other goal. Jim's book has the results up to the end of the previous season.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm all for us trying adventurous formations, but given we have two (three including Little to be fair) good full-backs. Two excellent centre-backs and a good number of players capable of playing out wide, I'm not sure playing with wing-backs and introducing Ross Perry is the greatest idea going. 4-1-3-2 is clearly the formation that would suit the players we have best imo.

Still, he's the tactical genius and I am not.

1 minute ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'm all for us trying adventurous formations, but given we have two (three including Little to be fair) good full-backs. Two excellent centre-backs and a good number of players capable of playing out wide, I'm not sure playing with wing-backs and introducing Ross Perry is the greatest idea going. 4-1-3-2 is clearly the formation that would suit the players we have best imo.

Still, he's the tactical genius and I am not.

Yeh looking at our squad 4-1-3-2 screams out as the best formation. With RB,LB being able to go forward in attacks leaving the “1” (Hutton/Carswell)  to sit with the two centre backs.

12 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

When we play Hutton and Carswell together it's effectively playing 4 CBs anyway. So maybe a 352 would change that. Or it may make us end up with 5 CBs who knows!

If he plays Hutton and Carswell in a 352 it means dropping either Forbes or Paton. I would like to think he's not completely lost his mind and this won't happen.

I don't like the thought of the 352 with our current personnel tbh. I think it's very counter productive with the players we have at our disposal.

You would be looking at 3 centre backs in Dowie, Barr and Perry (not good enough to be a regular starter). Wing backs being Ballantyne and Dyer (not remotely convinced this role would suit Dyer). Then you have the midfield trio... lets be honest here, Carswell and Hutton are starters, regardless of formation or form so it's safe to say 2 of them would be making up the 3.

It could potentially work if Perry wasn't our only centre half option and the midfield 3 was Carswell OR Hutton with Forbes and Paton. I just don't really see the need to even try the 352 unless we're in dreadful form or injuries dictate it, which I'm sure will be the case.

In a 3-5-2 we could conceivably have five defenders (Ballantyne, Perry, Dowie, Mango, Dyer) 'protected' by two defensive midfielders (Carsy and Hutton).  Leaving just room for Loy, SeaGal and one of Forbes/Paton (or B.Barr, or Thommo to be fair too).

Plz no.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

When we play Hutton and Carswell together it's effectively playing 4 CBs anyway. So maybe a 352 would change that. Or it may make us end up with 5 CBs who knows!

Not sure if your response was to my comment but it was meant that it would be either Hutton or Carswell. Not both

If Aitken really is wanting to go attacking then could it possibly be something like this...

Adam

Perry -------  Dowie --------- C.Barr

Paton -------Carswell ------ Hutton -------B.Barr

--------- Forbes ---------

Seagall -------- Loy

Which is still quite attacking.

If Aitken really is wanting to go attacking then could it possibly be something like this...

Adam

Perry -------  Dowie --------- C.Barr

Paton -------Carswell ------ Hutton -------B.Barr

--------- Forbes ---------

Seagall -------- Loy

Which is still quite attacking.

Nice Idea, but the fact all 11 players seem through the middle could be a slight issue...

Archived