• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

We can moan all we like but Aitken has his favourites and won’t even make the changes that at least 90% of the fans see we need.....

Perfect way to start the season...

Thats what frustrates the shit out of me...

21 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Aitken won’t be sacked or walk, so it’s completely pointless (and far too early) to even contemplate it.

A string of baffling decisions today. Bringing Beanie on for Loy as soon as we go 2-0 down (and keeping Hutton and Carswell on) was really the icing on the cake. It’s almost like sticking two fingers up to the fans and being obtuse for the sake of it.

If he  loses the dressing room i think he will go TBH.Cant be a happy bunch in there just now.

1 minute ago, son hawk said:

All the good work the club has been doing off the park has been undone in 90 minutes. No chance will performances like that encourage fans to come back

Thats my point...performances are vital now with the season starting.We are playing the same crap from lastseason.I think SA  has been traumatised from it.

Today could have been a day to get the fans on board. A day to give the Sons faithful a bit of belief back.

It ended up being a day that would test the patience of a saint.

On paper we have a very good group of players. We have guys with top flight experience. Guys who have played 2nd tier for years. Guys who have undoubted ability. Unfortunately the game isnt played on paper. In reality we have guys who just aren't up to the pace and intensity of League One right now.

At the back we're relying on Ross Perry at right back. He isnt a right back. We've got guys who can cover and who would let Perry play as an uninspiring centre half. It's not Perry's fault that he struggled today in a position that he isnt good in.  I'm not convinced by Dyer at left back either. Our fullbacks really aren't looking solid at all and we're far too easy to run at.

Midfield? As much as Kyle Hutton is a limited player, he wasn't the worst today. I lost count of the number of times he had the ball but had nobody ahead of him to pass to. Nobody moving into space. Nobody shouting for it and asking for it to feet or asking for a ball to run onto. He either dawdled on the ball looking for some help or he passed backwards/sideways because he had nobody ahead of him who wanted it. Carswell was anonymous out wide. Ross Forbes strolled the game today - he was wandering about at a leisurely pace when the Forfar players were playing with determination and intensity. His distribution was poor and his commitment was non-existent.

Ahead of them? Gallagher looked interested but he was the only one. Michael Paton didnt get the time and space he wanted and became increasingly marginalised. Rory Loy? He might be great inside the 6 yard box but outside of it he's a man down. He isnt going to hold it up until others get involved in the play. He was continually out-muscled today. He isnt going to make runs for the midfield to try to find with a pass. I thought he offered us absolutely nothing today. 

The big difference between the 2 teams today was commitment and desire. Forfar played the game at 100 mph. They were pressing high up the park, closing us down in midfield and giving us absolutely no time and space on the ball. That left guys like Forbes looking absolutely clueless as he couldn't change gear and he couldn't influence the game in any meaningful way. I'm actually more disappointed by today than I was by last season's shitefest. Last year we built a poor squad that couldn't compete against some decent teams. This year we've built a highly skilled squad but on today's showing we were so far off the pace of the game that it beggared belief at times.

It's not good when your first game of the season sees you booed off the park. Last season there were some stinging criticisms of the manager. A lot of fans are unhappy that he's still in charge. We started the season with a clean slate and a 3/4 new team. It was a chance for the Sons to match the changes made off the pitch by getting some fan buy in for our efforts on it. It was the chance to show the fans that we're a team worth backing - a team that would make a fight of things even if we couldn't always secure the win. What we actually witnessed today was a team that lacked organisation and a team that was lacking in commitment. We watched a team that was so far off the pace that it looked like the first game of pre-season.

We need to improve. We need guys to adapt to League One football and we need to do it fast. If we don't then performances like St Mirren away and today's game will make our ground a difficult place for all the wrong reasons.

16 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Thats my point...performances are vital now with the season starting.We are playing the same crap from lastseason.I think SA  has been traumatised from it.

You think Stevie Wonder has been traumatized from last season? :lol:

I think the support has been traumatized & he's the cause of said trauma. :whistle

'Speaking to the media afterwards, gaffer Stevie Aitken called the performance “a wake up call” and said he would be looking for a significant improvement in the next game.'

A wake up call for him or the players...? 

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

'Speaking to the media afterwards, gaffer Stevie Aitken called the performance “a wake up call” and said he would be looking for a significant improvement in the next game.'

A wake up call for him or the players...? 

The players have to take a share of the blame, sure. But that's twice in three weeks Stevie's thrown them under the bus following a pathetic defeat where there was no gameplan of note.

5 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

The players have to take a share of the blame, sure. But that's twice in three weeks Stevie's thrown them under the bus following a pathetic defeat where there was no gameplan of note.

By my count, he made one questionable decision today (starting Perry at RB instead of Little) and four completely mental ones (switching the formation for us to go behind, subbing Gallagher at 1-0 down, bringing Russell on for Loy at 2-0 down and giving Hutton and Carswell 90 mins).

I think the players really need to have a look at themselves today. Really if we had shown anywhere near the commitment that Forfar did today, we would have had enogh to win the match. I'm really disappointed that the heads went down so easily and also that our more experienced players, especially our captain Dowie, who didn't look to lift/motivate the others.

26 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Today could have been a day to get the fans on board. A day to give the Sons faithful a bit of belief back.

It ended up being a day that would test the patience of a saint.

On paper we have a very good group of players. We have guys with top flight experience. Guys who have played 2nd tier for years. Guys who have undoubted ability. Unfortunately the game isnt played on paper. In reality we have guys who just aren't up to the pace and intensity of League One right now.

At the back we're relying on Ross Perry at right back. He isnt a right back. We've got guys who can cover and who would let Perry play as an uninspiring centre half. It's not Perry's fault that he struggled today in a position that he isnt good in.  I'm not convinced by Dyer at left back either. Our fullbacks really aren't looking solid at all and we're far too easy to run at.

Midfield? As much as Kyle Hutton is a limited player, he wasn't the worst today. I lost count of the number of times he had the ball but had nobody ahead of him to pass to. Nobody moving into space. Nobody shouting for it and asking for it to feet or asking for a ball to run onto. He either dawdled on the ball looking for some help or he passed backwards/sideways because he had nobody ahead of him who wanted it. Carswell was anonymous out wide. Ross Forbes strolled the game today - he was wandering about at a leisurely pace when the Forfar players were playing with determination and intensity. His distribution was poor and his commitment was non-existent.

Ahead of them? Gallagher looked interested but he was the only one. Michael Paton didnt get the time and space he wanted and became increasingly marginalised. Rory Loy? He might be great inside the 6 yard box but outside of it he's a man down. He isnt going to hold it up until others get involved in the play. He was continually out-muscled today. He isnt going to make runs for the midfield to try to find with a pass. I thought he offered us absolutely nothing today. 

The big difference between the 2 teams today was commitment and desire. Forfar played the game at 100 mph. They were pressing high up the park, closing us down in midfield and giving us absolutely no time and space on the ball. That left guys like Forbes looking absolutely clueless as he couldn't change gear and he couldn't influence the game in any meaningful way. I'm actually more disappointed by today than I was by last season's shitefest. Last year we built a poor squad that couldn't compete against some decent teams. This year we've built a highly skilled squad but on today's showing we were so far off the pace of the game that it beggared belief at times.

It's not good when your first game of the season sees you booed off the park. Last season there were some stinging criticisms of the manager. A lot of fans are unhappy that he's still in charge. We started the season with a clean slate and a 3/4 new team. It was a chance for the Sons to match the changes made off the pitch by getting some fan buy in for our efforts on it. It was the chance to show the fans that we're a team worth backing - a team that would make a fight of things even if we couldn't always secure the win. What we actually witnessed today was a team that lacked organisation and a team that was lacking in commitment. We watched a team that was so far off the pace that it looked like the first game of pre-season.

We need to improve. We need guys to adapt to League One football and we need to do it fast. If we don't then performances like St Mirren away and today's game will make our ground a difficult place for all the wrong reasons.

Bang on mate.

26 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

You think Stevie Wonder has been traumatized from last season? :lol:

I think the support has been traumatized & he's the cause of said trauma. :whistle

f**k nose mate but its the only logical explanation lol.

22 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

By my count, he made one questionable decision today (starting Perry at RB instead of Little) and four completely mental ones (switching the formation for us to go behind, subbing Gallagher at 1-0 down, bringing Russell on for Loy at 2-0 down and giving Hutton and Carswell 90 mins).

I'm reliably informed that Gallagher wasn't fully fit before the match. I'd still have put Little up top at half-time instead of moving Paton there mind you, especially if we weren't going to use him at right-back.

Utterly intrigued as to who thought it was a good idea to go to a 4-2-3-1 at 0-0 (when the game was pretty even) and then instantly change back once we'd conceded. Stevie doesn't make it easy for himself. 

Just now, Ross Forbes said:

I'm reliably informed that Gallagher wasn't fully fit before the match. I'd still have put Little up top at half-time instead of moving Paton there mind you, especially if we weren't going to use him at right-back.

Utterly intrigued as to who thought it was a good idea to go to a 4-2-3-1 at 0-0 (when the game was pretty even) and then instantly change back once we'd conceded. Stevie doesn't make it easy for himself. 

That makes it all the stranger that he took the penalty.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Why would you choose someone who's injured to take the penalty?

If he was fit enough to play for 45 mins he was fit enough to take a penalty kick. I don't understand in any way, shape or form how it would be strange he took the penalty at all?

5 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

If he was fit enough to play for 45 mins he was fit enough to take a penalty kick. I don't understand in any way, shape or form how it would be strange he took the penalty at all?

I'm not saying he wasn't fit enough to take the penalty. Of course its strange to pick someone carrying a knock over other fully fit players. That's not even taking into account experience in the side of taking penalties.

The missed penalty is neither here nor there really. It sounds like we weren't good enough all round, with some baffling tactical decisions mixed in.

27 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I'm not saying he wasn't fit enough to take the penalty. Of course its strange to pick someone carrying a knock over other fully fit players. That's not even taking into account experience in the side of taking penalties.

The missed penalty is neither here nor there really. It sounds like we weren't good enough all round, with some baffling tactical decisions mixed in.

I'm no expert but who in our side has lots of experience taking penalties? Some people have it in their head that someone like Loy should automatically take penalties but I'm not sure he has ever been the penalty taker at previous sides.

Archived