Just now, Lokomotiv Dumbarton said:

He also informed me that Berwick had offered Danny Handling £270 a week to go there and he was keen until Edinburgh City offered £400, seems a lot of money for him

If that is true, and Danny Handling's agent is reading this then please PM me.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Lokomotiv Dumbarton said:

Doubt it, I know a couple of teams have done it in league 1 but I don’t think we will

The eagle eyed amongst us will have noticed that Ross Forbes has had #10 listed as his squad number on the website since signing.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/squad/default.asp?mode=squad&SquadID=50

I wouldn't be surprised if we did what Raith do, and had allocated squad numbers but not names. Shame imo because names and numbers look tremendous - but it's probably an unnecessary cost.

Anyway, today then. Not the greatest game I've seen*, full of Steven McLean's whistle and cheap fouls.

We looked fine. It's hard to judge on our biggest weakness without Loy or the SeaGal up front. Ferguson looked decent enough at RB and coped well enough with Mulraney's pace. Mango was probably a bit too physical with Ikpeazu who was just hitting the deck and winning fouls every time he got near him. Dowie looked far stronger when he was challenging him. I thought Perry looked decent (horrific first-half pass across his own goal aside) he won plenty in the air and took no chances most of the time when he had the ball. It might not have been pretty, but play to your strengths and all that.

I think we can all see already that Forbes would be wasted out wide. I get why we played him there today given how low on numbers we were, but it's not for him. He pinged a couple of glorious 40 yarders, but we need him on the ball as much as possible. Hutton and Carsy were Hutton and Carsy, whilst I was really pleased with B.Barr's workrate. His final ball wasn't great, but he played like a natural winger - which is something we lacked last season.

Further forward Ryan Thomson looked strong. Very strong actually. Smashing into folk and generally putting himself about. Again his use of the ball wasn't excellent and he looked gubbed by the end, but it's not his natural role and I'd imagine he'll do a solid shift for us in the league.

Beany looked sharper than last season, but again spent the game feeding off long punts and scraps. You can't fault his workrate at all, and he was snapping at the heels of the Hearts back three for the full 70 minutes he was on - unfortunately guys like Berra and Souttar don't make mistakes very often. Who knows how he'll do this season, but I'd love nothing more than for him to rediscover his scoring touch.

Hopefully Loy and Ballantyne are back fit for next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing them in action. Roll on the start of the proper season!

*It was garbage, lets not joke about.

Doubt it, I know a couple of teams have done it in league 1 but I don’t think we will

Big teams like us kept their designated squad numbers despite us being relegated.

Anyway just popped in to see how Ferguson did today? Was hoping we’d re-sign him but it looks like he’s fed up waiting around for a deal so fair enough if he wants to move on. He’s a decent RB who can cover LB in this league. When he signed I don’t think we really expected much of him because he was young and unknown but he played ok in the league cup despite giving a goal away on his debut. Made up for with an assist though.

He got a regular run in the team at LB when Paddy Boyle got injured then switched to RB when he came back and Andy Geggan was out. He was excellent in our run of consecutive around September - December. Geggan being out for most of the season meant he was playing every week and doing well until he gave away a goal vs Alloa in a 2-1 defeat and Geggan stepped back in. Played here and there but returned with a few games to go away at Airdrie and stayed in the team for the rest of the season.

He’d be a fairly solid if unspectacular signing and split opinion last year but he had more good games than bad games. He’s not particularly quick but he can put good crosses in from deep positions and he certainly wasn’t a bad defender last season. He’s ok at LB but I always thought he looked awkward due to him being right footed and he always had to take an extra touch to get the ball onto his right side.

Be a shame if he left and I’m still hoping he stays as I saw him as a successor to Geggan but good luck to him if he signs.

I was browsing the Spartans website this morning to ascertain the best walking route from Waverley station (the one containing most pubs) and had a look at their club shop.  Lots of nice items, the sorts of things Sons could and should be selling. (The actual playing kit is handled by a third-party so I assume all profits from the sales of the on-line stuff goes straight to the club.)

1 hour ago, Old Scrotum said:

I was browsing the Spartans website this morning to ascertain the best walking route from Waverley station (the one containing most pubs) and had a look at their club shop.  Lots of nice items, the sorts of things Sons could and should be selling. (The actual playing kit is handled by a third-party so I assume all profits from the sales of the on-line stuff goes straight to the club.)

I think you'll start to see a few more things in our shop from this coming season. Unfortunately Spartans have a massive youth setup to sell to, whereas we only have 200 or so interested fans. I was really surprised when I was told how little merchandise our fans bought, but that's one of the reasons why the range hasn't been too massive in recent years. Sons fans buy a top, or a jacket or jumper and then stick with it for quite a few years!

Demand. People always complain about lack of merch but they don't actually buy all that much. If the club buys in a bundle of merch and it doesn't sell then the club is left out of pocket which completely defeats the purpose of selling it in the first place.

I actually thought the selection of stuff we had was fairly decent last season. What sort of stuff would you like to see that isn't currently available?

Archived