• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not letting us in on much we didn't already know, but Little seems to be a done deal.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2901483/rangers-andy-little-sign-deal-dumbarton/

This line's interesting though:

“We will add to the squad during the week and should have the 17 or 18 players we will need.”

Could we be in for a bumper week of news?

34 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Not letting us in on much we didn't already know, but Little seems to be a done deal.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2901483/rangers-andy-little-sign-deal-dumbarton/

This line's interesting though:

Could we be in for a bumper week of news?

Can't play trialists in the League Cup so I expect we'll have enough bodies to fill a bench at least by Saturday.  Wouldn't be wholly surprised if it was the folk we already know.  FWIW, I thought McMeekin looked quite lively when he came on, as did Campbell. If we were adding those two on top of Russell and Little then it probably wouldn't be the worst business.

EDIT - Thinking about this, we have 14 signed now with Beany joining up. Little all but confirmed to make that 15, so if we're going for 17 in total that leaves room for two more - one needs to be a goalkeeper and I imagine one will be cover at the back.  Unless he's stretching his budget to 18 players (which would surprise me) then perhaps he'll sign one of McMeekin or Campbell (with possibly Ferguson and a keeper coming in).  Looking at it that way, I think I'd rather we just left the Little deal. Loy, Gallagher and Beany all vying for 1 spot in the team and Ryan Thomson can fill in there in case of emergency. Unless Little can play out wide?  I admit I know nothing of him other than he scored some goals in League 2 for Rangers.

Can't play trialists in the League Cup so I expect we'll have enough bodies to fill a bench at least by Saturday.  Wouldn't be wholly surprised if it was the folk we already know.  FWIW, I thought McMeekin looked quite lively when he came on, as did Campbell. If we were adding those two on top of Russell and Little then it probably wouldn't be the worst business.
EDIT - Thinking about this, we have 14 signed now with Beany joining up. Little all but confirmed to make that 15, so if we're going for 17 in total that leaves room for two more - one needs to be a goalkeeper and I imagine one will be cover at the back.  Unless he's stretching his budget to 18 players (which would surprise me) then perhaps he'll sign one of McMeekin or Campbell (with possibly Ferguson and a keeper coming in).  Looking at it that way, I think I'd rather we just left the Little deal. Loy, Gallagher and Beany all vying for 1 spot in the team and Ryan Thomson can fill in there in case of emergency. Unless Little can play out wide?  I admit I know nothing of him other than he scored some goals in League 2 for Rangers.
I'm starting to get the fear Gallagher is going to be used out wide this season. The signing of Little would certainly suggest that is the case.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
48 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm starting to get the fear Gallagher is going to be used out wide this season. The signing of Little would certainly suggest that is the case.

He might just be back up though...probably on a pay as you play deal...more likely he is at the rock to get fitness pre-season.Could he not also play behind the strikers?

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I really hope not. It's bloody obvious where he's most effective and where he's completely ineffective.  My ideal starting line up right now would be this:

Adam

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- C. Barr -- Dyer

Forbes -- Thomson -- Carswell -- B. Barr

Gallagher -- Loy

Saturday just rammed home the message for me that Carswell and Hutton just can't play together.  Going over old ground there but I would hope that Thomson is showing Aitken that he's the better option in there. I think Forbes on the right with someone like Ballantyne overlapping could be similar to what Morton had with Forbes/Doyle, to play Forbes in the centre means putting Thomson or Carswell out the team or means moving Gallagher wide. I suspect that's what we'll do though and play Loy up top with Forbes in behind.

Adam

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- C. Barr -- Dyer

Gallagher -- Thomson -- Carswell -- B. Barr

Forbes

Loy

I just think if we've only got room for 2 or 3 more players then cover out wide and at the back is more important than a striker at the moment. I dare say even Bobby Barr would do a turn up front if we somehow ended up with Loy, Gallagher, Russell and Thomson all injured.

I think it'd be a real shame to see Forbes punted out wide for the season, especially if we keep the Carsy/Hutton combo. Forbes is the guy we should be building a team around. Can Thomson play out wide? If so something like this could be decent.

Grant Adam

Cammy Ballantyne Craig Barr Andy Dowie Willie Dyer

Stuart Carswell

Ryan Thomson Ross Forbes Bobby Barr

Calum Gallagher Rory Loy

Subs: A.Goalkeeper, Ross Perry, Kyle Hutton, Iain Russell, Andy Little, A.Defender, A.Winger

What I would say in Little's defence is that he can play anywhere - namely right-back. So that's another useful option. Ideally we need a spare left-back/left sided defender though, because if Dyer picks up an injury we don't really have anyone who can play there.

7 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I think it'd be a real shame to see Forbes punted out wide for the season, especially if we keep the Carsy/Hutton combo. Forbes is the guy we should be building a team around. Can Thomson play out wide? If so something like this could be decent.

Grant Adam

Cammy Ballantyne Craig Barr Andy Dowie Willie Dyer

Stuart Carswell

Ryan Thomson Ross Forbes Bobby Barr

Calum Gallagher Rory Loy

Subs: A.Goalkeeper, Ross Perry, Kyle Hutton, Iain Russell, Andy Little, A.Defender, A.Winger

What I would say in Little's defence is that he can play anywhere - namely right-back. So that's another useful option. Ideally we need a spare left-back/left sided defender though, because if Dyer picks up an injury we don't really have anyone who can play there.

Only reason I'm fine with Forbes wide is because he had his best season there with a hard working right back behind him - we appear to have that now (some of the balls he played on Saturday, especially cross field for Bobby Barr, could split teams open at this level). Thomson doesn't look like much of a winger to me. I'd probably rather Gallagher was played there than Thomson. I didn't realise Little was a "play anywhere" sort of guy, that's a positive I suppose and with Grant Gallagher gone we need someone else to shunt out of position every week. I'd say you're right about the 3 players left to come in, keeper (?), defender (Ferguson?) and winger (McMeekin or Campbell).

Doesn't look like we'll be getting loans at all this season - absolutely no mention of it from Stevie in the press.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Only reason I'm fine with Forbes wide is because he had his best season there with a hard working right back behind him - we appear to have that now (some of the balls he played on Saturday, especially cross field for Bobby Barr, could split teams open at this level). Thomson doesn't look like much of a winger to me. I'd probably rather Gallagher was played there than Thomson. I didn't realise Little was a "play anywhere" sort of guy, that's a positive I suppose and with Grant Gallagher gone we need someone else to shunt out of position every week. I'd say you're right about the 3 players left to come in, keeper (?), defender (Ferguson?) and winger (McMeekin or Campbell).

Doesn't look like we'll be getting loans at all this season - absolutely no mention of it from Stevie in the press.

Aye, I've no doubt Forbes would do a job out wide - especially with a pacey wee guy like Ballantyne behind him, but I'm just not convinced it'll get the best out of him. He should be able to cut inside and ping a few into the top corner from there though!

Little made his debut for Rangers as a RB apparently and, from his Wiki page, it's not hard to see why Stevie's after him:

A versatile player, he can play in any outfield position, though prefers a more attacking role

Mon the Northern Irish Chizzy.

Just now, The Moonster said:

The big man retired this summer.  Sad times.

Lets get him in as a club ambassador, like Bobby Charlton at Man United. Or pre-match entertainment where he downs a different alcoholic beverage each week and then races a member of the current squad across the pitch.

That would draw in the crowds.

1 minute ago, Ross Forbes said:

Lets get him in as a club ambassador, like Bobby Charlton at Man United. Or pre-match entertainment where he downs a different alcoholic beverage each week and then races a member of the current squad across the pitch.

That would draw in the crowds.

If I don't get more acts coming forward for the pre-match entertainment then we may be forced to do this!

I have a friend who was a director at Albion Rovers. He did a lot of work touring Lanarkshire schools and spreading an anti sectarian message. He took kids to Auschwitz to show them where sectarianism can lead.

Chizzy was with Rovers at the time and my friend took him along to a few events to help out. He assisted with some of the talks and even though he was with a diddy club, the boys in particular would be quite impressed by Chizzy's message.

One day whilst leaving one of these anti sectarianism events, Chizzy's phone went. The ringtone?

A well known Ulster folk song extolling the virtues of an item of regalia which once adorned the head of the singer's household.

2 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I have a friend who was a director at Albion Rovers. He did a lot of work touring Lanarkshire schools and spreading an anti sectarian message. He took kids to Auschwitz to show them where sectarianism can lead.

Chizzy was with Rovers at the time and my friend took him along to a few events to help out. He assisted with some of the talks and even though he was with a diddy club, the boys in particular would be quite impressed by Chizzy's message.

One day whilst leaving one of these anti sectarianism events, Chizzy's phone went. The ringtone?

A well known Ulster folk song extolling the virtues of an item of regalia which once adorned the head of the singer's household.

#staunch

4 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

to be fair though it is old and beautiful and it's colours are in brine

Really good interview with Stevie and Durrant up on SonsTV. He seems a lot more focused this year and (I think) learnt a lot from last year regarding starting early, loans and the style of football.

13 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Really good interview with Stevie and Durrant up on SonsTV. He seems a lot more focused this year and (I think) learnt a lot from last year regarding starting early, loans and the style of football.

Beany giving us a wee show too :wub:

Archived