Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

started well this afternoon but reverted to type,constantly giving the ball away cheaply and not doing anything about the gaping space at right back where elgin were running at will.its the constanly losing possession that's doing for us,means we're constantly under pressure and we're usually not good enough for something not to give eventually

5 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

At what point are we allowed to start calling for GB's head?

Admittedly I wasn't there today but we are massively underachieving. His selections at times have been nothing short of baffling too. Relying on Albion Rovers and Berwick being more inept than us for the season is not good enough.

How dare you leave us out of your list of inept teams.

Don’t understand the comments in here about us underachieving. Bottom the last 2 seasons and a large amount of those players signed this season. 

We currently sit 7th and if we finish there I would be delighted.

we definitely don’t have a squad capable of higher than that.

anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.

2 hours ago, big al said:

Don’t understand the comments in here about us underachieving. Bottom the last 2 seasons and a large amount of those players signed this season. 

We currently sit 7th and if we finish there I would be delighted.

we definitely don’t have a squad capable of higher than that.

anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.

Sorry but I totally disagree Al. The standard in this league is not high and if we are setting ourself a target of 7th what’s the point in going on. Marsh and Scott have both been a part of a Stenny team that went up. Renton was playing championship. McGurn is the best part time keeper going. We seem to accept underperformance as if it’s the norm. 

Perhaps my choice of words was wrong. Take out the 'Massively' part and I stick by us underachieving. Our squad isn't bad atall but the results and performances overall have been apalling. We should have been absolutely spanked against Edinburgh City for example.

McGurn's performances between the sticks have papered over many cracks already this season - he's been exceptional barring a couple of bad mistakes. The Queens Park game was another one where we very lucky to take a point.

You’ve got to remember City beat Arbroath 4-1 on Friday. We are taking points when last year we would have capitulated.

18 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

At what point are we allowed to start calling for GB's head?

Admittedly I wasn't there today but we are massively underachieving. His selections at times have been nothing short of baffling too. Relying on Albion Rovers and Berwick being more inept than us for the season is not good enough.

Now.  Bollan signed the players and it is his picks. The football being played is inept. There appears to be no tactical plan. The discipline is shocking. The stats week and week out do not lie. I respectfully submit that we are in the shit. Again.

Edited by ronaldincoo

Hopefully we can still sign Fraser, we are sorely lacking a player who is composed on the ball and can pass it ( Harvey Swann?). First twenty minutes were ok then very disappointing.Presumably Malcolm and  Miller were there to protect the back four, but didn't. Buchanan was very poor, both defensively and going forward, the Elgin no. 3 was running riot in the second half. I thought Scott playing a bit deeper worked hard and tried to get things going, but mostly the ball was just hit anywhere The goalkeeping fiasco, and Scullion coming on just summed it all up.

10 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Sorry but I totally disagree Al. The standard in this league is not high and if we are setting ourself a target of 7th what’s the point in going on. Marsh and Scott have both been a part of a Stenny team that went up. Renton was playing championship. McGurn is the best part time keeper going. We seem to accept underperformance as if it’s the norm. 

We don’t have the players to be in the top half of the league, it’s as simple as that.

teams with players like Sutherland , mcallister and Goodwillie , and none of these teams are even top.

we haven’t had a good midfield for years. Let’s be honest Mcgurn has saved us so many times from getting humped.

I agree we are not good enough to be top 4 but it’s a big step to be bottom then go to top 4 in a season.

i think we have to be patient and for me, safety is the next step this season and hopefully add a few players next year to challenge for top 4. Position 5-8 should be achievable this year and I will settle for that right now.

jury is still out on Bollan for me as I think he has tinkered too much and not settled on a team or system.  We had a very young team the last two seasons and we suffered. Bollan has added higher league experience and most of them are over 25 so we are under performing so far but it’s early days yet.

On 10/14/2018 at 04:14, Muzza81 said:

Renton was in League 1 and didn't really do too much at Alloa while Scott is just awful.  No idea why we persist with playing him in some attacking midfield position where he just gives the ball away constantly.

We probably could be doing better but we're let down badly by some players.  I've never hidden my dismay whenever I see Robbie Buchanans name on the team sheet. Saturday was probably the worst I've ever seen him play.  Would much rather have Harvey Swann starting.  Our defence isn't too bad while Sheerin up top is good if given the support he needs.

Midfield is where was are seriously lacking though and have been for ages.  Fraser may improve it but he's barely completed a game of football this year so may take time to get up and running.

Fully agree regarding McGurn and Marsh though.

20 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Renton was in League 1 and didn't really do too much at Alloa while Scott is just awful.  No idea why we persist with playing him in some attacking midfield position where he just gives the ball away constantly.

We probably could be doing better but we're let down badly by some players.  I've never hidden my dismay whenever I see Robbie Buchanans name on the team sheet. Saturday was probably the worst I've ever seen him play.  Would much rather have Harvey Swann starting.  Our defence isn't too bad while Sheerin up top is good if given the support he needs.

Midfield is where was are seriously lacking though and have been for ages.  Fraser may improve it but he's barely completed a game of football this year so may take time to get up and running.

Sorry aye part of their promotion side. As far as I am aware that is very harsh on him, I am sure they thought he was reasonable in his time there. He didn't play all that much but made some important impacts.

All Scott does is run about without contributing very much. Still more than I have seen Smith or Buchanan contribute. We also have, what should be, the best left back in the league.

No one can seriously be looking at that Annan team and thinking "boy I wish we had their squad". Similar to Montrose last year. A competent manager and a good centre half can really see you climb the table (see Edinburgh City). The question is do we have either?

59 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I’m still waiting for Scott to actually do something. What’s happened to Smith? 

Buchanan has had some decent games but isn’t a midfielder.

Fraser looked decent, has he been signed ?

We’ll find out how good McGurn is when he’s not there, best keeper in this league by some way.

The players are there, we should be be doing much better.

Just now, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I’m still waiting for Scott to actually do something. What’s happened to Smith? 

Buchanan has had some decent games but isn’t a midfielder.

Fraser looked decent, has he been signed ?

We’ll find out how good McGurn is when he’s not there, best keeper in this league by some way.

The players are there, we should be be doing much better.

Smith I've no idea about.

Fraser hasn't been signed....yet.....

McGurn is crucial for us. I fear that Goodfellow will be a huge liability in the Berwick game sadly.  

Our biggest issue is midfield.  Buchanan is a waste of a shirt there and then you have Macolm and Miller who are very similar in how they play.  Ideally we need Marsh in the sitting midfield role as he changed the game on Saturday moving forward up the pitch until McGurn decided to rugby tackle somebody :lol:

https://vimeo.com/295249663

The highlights from Saturdays game.  Basically bang on 6 minutes for the McGurn incident.  Absolutely love him trying to say he didn't touch him :lol:

Lovely pass from Sheerin and cool finish from Cox.

Edited by The Minertaur

I may be talking total nonsense but I thought there was a recent rule change about "preventing a goalscoring opportunity" not being a straight red card if a penalty was awarded?

Essentially saying that the sending off and the highly likely result of conceding a goal anyway was a double punishment?

5 minutes ago, StevieLes II said:

I may be talking total nonsense but I thought there was a recent rule change about "preventing a goalscoring opportunity" not being a straight red card if a penalty was awarded?

Essentially saying that the sending off and the highly likely result of conceding a goal anyway was a double punishment?

It is still a red card if no attempt to play the ball.

It is still a red card if no attempt to play the ball.
This.

My understanding of it, if a keeper rushes out and dives at the feet of the oncoming attacker but the attacker gets there first, keeper misses the ball and wipes him out, then its a penalty and a yellow.but if there's no intention to play the ball and deliberately wipe the man out, its still a red.

Aye you’re correct Ammo. Double jeopardy is to stop genuine attempts for the ball being punishable by a red card.

What I would say is McGurn clearly tries to pull out so you could argue it is harsh (kinda) - had he kept his arms down and looked like he was going for the ball he would, likely, only hve received a booking.