Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

18 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

One of those that looked worse than it was.Don't think the ref had much choice though.

Saw exactly the same tackle on Match of the Day on Saturday. Outcome, a yellow card.

Having only seen the Stirling highlights I think it's a booking but there's no way of telling from it how it looks from the refs view.  

The BBC stats page makes interesting reading for us.

on stats we should be mid table in terms of clean sheets, goals for, goals against and goal difference.

but we are rock bottom of the league for shots at goal which explains why we are not mid table.

top  of the league for fouls, yellow and red cards tho !

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

The BBC stats page makes interesting reading for us.

on stats we should be mid table in terms of clean sheets, goals for, goals against and goal difference.

but we are rock bottom of the league for shots at goal which explains why we are not mid table.

top  of the league for fouls, yellow and red cards tho !

If you watch us shooting in before the start of a game, you'll know why we are bottom of the league for shots at goal.

Galling to think that we could have had Deas at centre back the last five games, but never mind, hopefully that's the defence sorted now. Sad to see last year's player of the year sitting in the stand at games. I was really pleased when he 're-signed for us  as there were other clubs sniffing around, but Harvey has been here eight years and likes the club. Surely it would make sense to have him on the bench as he can cover left back and left midfield. I felt his big fault at full back was a reluctance to boot the ball out of the park when that was the safest course, leading to him getting caught in possession, just the kind of thing to drive a manager like Bollan mad. But he is comfortable on the ball, a good passer, always looking to get forward, and decent with a dead ball. Don't tell me we  couldn't use a player like that in midfield.

Galling to think that we could have had Deas at centre back the last five games, but never mind, hopefully that's the defence sorted now. Sad to see last year's player of the year sitting in the stand at games. I was really pleased when he 're-signed for us  as there were other clubs sniffing around, but Harvey has been here eight years and likes the club. Surely it would make sense to have him on the bench as he can cover left back and left midfield. I felt his big fault at full back was a reluctance to boot the ball out of the park when that was the safest course, leading to him getting caught in possession, just the kind of thing to drive a manager like Bollan mad. But he is comfortable on the ball, a good passer, always looking to get forward, and decent with a dead ball. Don't tell me we  couldn't use a player like that in midfield.
Couldn't have put that better myself.

4 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

Yes agree with that. He isn’t a full back and like you say, he often tries to beat a player before passing and was has been caught  out several times. His deliveries from free kicks is very good and I’ve never seen  him miss a penalty (not that we get that many)He certainly should be on the bench at least.

We all know from previous experience that our best players don’t always get a game and there always is a “bigger picture”

Just to complicate things further I’d sign Fraser.

Bizarre how Swann isn't playing. Yeah, he sometimes loses possession, but that's because he takes people on. Always said he is not a defender. He is an attacking midfielder all day long.

At what point are we allowed to start calling for GB's head?

Admittedly I wasn't there today but we are massively underachieving. His selections at times have been nothing short of baffling too. Relying on Albion Rovers and Berwick being more inept than us for the season is not good enough.

29 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Admittedly I wasn't there today but we are massively underachieving. His selections at times have been nothing short of baffling too. Relying on Albion Rovers and Berwick being more inept than us for the season is not good enough.

Not sure I would describe us as massively underachieving.

Are we massively under achieving though? Performances aren't great but we're currently in a better position than we have been for a couple of seasons.

Amongst the concerns for me 'watching' from afar... the team fails to deliver anything in the second half of games. The amount of times I've watched live text updates on the BBC - the lack of chances created in the second 45 is atrocious and it's always backs-to-the-wall stuff, foul after foul and hoping the opposition's as inept in the Cowden goalmouth as Cowdenbeath are in theirs. Especially galling is the amount of times the team gets in front, only to capitulate soon after. To me, there seems to be no real game plan.

And McGurn will be a big, big miss, especially if he's absent for the Berwick game in a couple of weeks. No confidence in the other lad at all after watching his performance in the East Fife match.

Cmon Cowden, give your heads a wobble

16 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Not sure I would describe us as massively underachieving.

14 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:
46 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Are we massively under achieving though? Performances aren't great but we're currently in a better position than we have been for a couple of seasons.

Given the squads that Edinburgh City, Peterhead and Clyde have while Annan and Elgin have been comfortable mid table sides who are always on the fringes of the play off places I wouldn't really have expected us to be above any of them at the end of the first quarter. There is a divide between the top five and the bottom five and it shows in the table.

Edited to add

At this time last season I had us all but written off to finish bottom, we have double the points from then (I know nothing to shout about) and have been better than what we were this time 12 months ago,

We have chopped and changed the side in recent weeks but today was the same starting line up as last week v Stirling,

For underachieving you would have to give that award to Stirling Albion after their position last season.

Edited by cowdenbeath

I still think we are underachieving. From the outside looking in that looks a, in relative terms, expensively put together squad. Certainly not one that should be battling with Berwick and Albion Rovers. Our football is eye bleedingly bad to watch and we don’t get a many results. We won’t finish bottom but not because of any progression on our part.

We aren’t even developing any of the players that have came through the ‘youths’. Bollan shouldn’t be sacked but harder questions should be asked of him. He’s simply not doing well enough despite getting backed by the board (I assume).

13 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

I still think we are underachieving. From the outside looking in that looks a, in relative terms, expensively put together squad. Certainly not one that should be battling with Berwick and Albion Rovers. Our football is eye bleedingly bad to watch and we don’t get a many results. We won’t finish bottom but not because of any progression on our part.

We aren’t even developing any of the players that have came through the ‘youths’. Bollan shouldn’t be sacked but harder questions should be asked of him. He’s simply not doing well enough despite getting backed by the board (I assume).

How  expensive is our squad compared to City, Peterhead, Clyde even Elgin and Annan I would imagine Stirling will pay more than us.

Everyone in this division (bar QP, probably Berwick and Albion Rovers) have been spending more on wages since the club 42 play off came in.

Perhaps my choice of words was wrong. Take out the 'Massively' part and I stick by us underachieving. Our squad isn't bad atall but the results and performances overall have been apalling. We should have been absolutely spanked against Edinburgh City for example.

McGurn's performances between the sticks have papered over many cracks already this season - he's been exceptional barring a couple of bad mistakes. The Queens Park game was another one where we very lucky to take a point.