Mexico v Scotland Sun 3rd June 2018

Enigma

Guest DAVIDB69
Another revolutionary idea would be to pick the players based on how good they actually are rather than which club they play for or which league they play in.  Cairney and McDonald are at a team flying high in the English Championship and yet both were woeful against Costa Rica.  Charlie Mulgrew is playing in English Legaue 1 and yet has generally still performed pretty well for us.  Stuart Armstrong has consistently performed better for Scotland than any of those midfielders you listed.

I would agree with that as mctominay will get loads of caps based on who he is on the books of, although i have never seen anything special in a Scotland shirt so far

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Forrest, McGregor and Armstrong were that good, they'd be off to the premier league in a heartbeat. They're not, which means they're playing for a Celtic side that's been absolutely trounced whenever it's come up against decent opposition in Europe.
If Armstrong and McGregor were "miles in front" of Cairney and McDonald, Fulham would be signing them, which they're not. No PL side has shown any interest at all.
If we're going to be able to compete with the teams we need to to qualify for tournaments, we need to use the players who have experience in playing at that level every week.
I don't really care who we have to drop to play these players. There are several PL teams chasing Snodgrass- I don't see anyone fighting over James Forrest.
I'd have:
Gordon
Tierney Hanley Berra Robertson
McTominay Cairney McDonald 
Ritchie Snodgrass Fraser

You then have options like Burke, McArthur, Rhodes and Griffiths to come off the bench.

Ritchie, Snodgrass and Hanley are all utter guff in a Scotland jersey. Ritchie might be decent at Newcastle but is shite on international duty.

Whether you like it or not we played far better with guys like Forrest, McGregor and Armstrong in our squad.

Imo our strongest team is

McGregor

Mulgrew McKenna Tierney

Forrest McTominay Cairney Robertson

Armstrong McGregor

Griffiths

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ritchie, Snodgrass and Hanley are all utter guff in a Scotland jersey. Ritchie might be decent at Newcastle but is shite on international duty.

Whether you like it or not we played far better with guys like Forrest, McGregor and Armstrong in our squad.

Imo our strongest team is

McGregor

Mulgrew McKenna Tierney

Forrest McTominay Cairney Robertson

Armstrong McGregor

Griffiths

Matt Ritchie plays for a team in the top half of the Premier League. James Forrest plays for a team in the 26th best league in Europe. There's a reason for that.

Matt Ritchie plays for a team in the top half of the Premier League. James Forrest plays for a team in the 26th best league in Europe. There's a reason for that.

And yet when they play for Scotland, James Forrest actually plays well. Ritchie doesn’t.

There’s no point picking guys like Ritchie and Snodgrass just because they play in a better league.

My guess is that if players are actually decent for their clubs (who in turn are doing well in respected leagues) and turn out shit in an international game,  it’s likely that there’s something rotten with the international set up/coaching/team building or whatever the f**k they do when they get together.

I'm too busy enjoying doing absolutely f**k all on the sunny Amalfi Coast, so just checking in.  People still absolutely and head-scratchingly raging at these friendlies, aye?  Saves me reading back through all the pages.

If Forrest, McGregor and Armstrong were that good, they'd be off to the premier league in a heartbeat. They're not, which means they're playing for a Celtic side that's been absolutely trounced whenever it's come up against decent opposition in Europe.
If Armstrong and McGregor were "miles in front" of Cairney and McDonald, Fulham would be signing them, which they're not. No PL side has shown any interest at all.
If we're going to be able to compete with the teams we need to to qualify for tournaments, we need to use the players who have experience in playing at that level every week.
I don't really care who we have to drop to play these players. There are several PL teams chasing Snodgrass- I don't see anyone fighting over James Forrest.
I'd have:
Gordon
Tierney Hanley Berra Robertson
McTominay Cairney McDonald 
Ritchie Snodgrass Fraser

You then have options like Burke, McArthur, Rhodes and Griffiths to come off the bench.

If you genuinely think that’s our best side, I worry for you.

As for the rest, full of utter conjecture. No interest from the PL for Armstrong and McGregor, several PL teams chasing Snodgrass despite him not getting a game with West Ham. Laughable.

Hanley?
Cairney and McDonald who have been utterly hopeless for us over two players who instantly add a dynamism to our play when they are playing.

I’ll give you Ritchie and Fraser as they are both clearly good players.

To top it all off, Snodgrass up front over Griffiths? What the actual f**k.

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If you genuinely think that’s our best side, I worry for you.

As for the rest, full of utter conjecture. No interest from the PL for Armstrong and McGregor, several PL teams chasing Snodgrass despite him not getting a game with West Ham. Laughable.

Hanley?
Cairney and McDonald who have been utterly hopeless for us over two players who instantly add a dynamism to our play when they are playing.

I’ll give you Ritchie and Fraser as they are both clearly good players.

To top it all off, Snodgrass up front over Griffiths? What the actual f**k.

If McGregor and Armstrong are so much better than Cairney and McDonald, how come they're playing in the 26th best league in Europe for a team that gets absolutely trounced in Europe, while the other two are playing in the richest league in the world?

I'm not going to pretend we have an abundance of striking options, but our first choice certainly shouldn't be a player who is 3rd choice at said team that gets trounced in Europe.

If McGregor and Armstrong are so much better than Cairney and McDonald, how come they're playing in the 26th best league in Europe for a team that gets absolutely trounced in Europe, while the other two are playing in the richest league in the world?

I have no idea the relevance of playing in the richest league has. They actually haven’t played in it yet ether and might be miles out if their depth.

Would Fulham give Barcelona a game then? [emoji23]

Both McGregor and Armstrong could play in the English PL, quite easily. There are some awful players in it.

Cairney will hopefully continue to improve as he seems a good player but has just been hopeless when he has had a chance for us.

McDonald on the other hand will never be good enough and I will be surprised if he is a starter for Fulham next year.

Callum Paterson got promoted too, should be be starting? Despite being hopeless in literally every single appearance.

51 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My guess is that if players are actually decent for their clubs (who in turn are doing well in respected leagues) and turn out shit in an international game,  it’s likely that there’s something rotten with the international set up/coaching/team building or whatever the f**k they do when they get together.

Or maybe they're playing well in a particular style of football alongside different teammates against different types of opponents and it's not really sensible to judge them solely on that?

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Both McGregor and Armstrong could play in the English PL, quite easily. There are some awful players in it.

20 teams with the best scouting teams in the world clearly disagree with you or they'd have been bought many seasons ago.

34 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Did you actually watch our game against Costa Rica? 

20 teams with the best scouting teams in the world clearly disagree with you or they'd have been bought many seasons ago.

There has been plenty of documented interest in Armstrong. McGregor has only really shown what he is capable of consistently over the past year.

If you seriously don’t think both of them can play (even at the lower end of the EPL) you’re at it.

40 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I'm not going to pretend we have an abundance of striking options, but our first choice certainly shouldn't be a player who is 3rd choice at said team that gets trounced in Europe.

Do you imagine Fulham wouldn't get absolutely trounced in Europe you fucking weapon

16 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Celtic turned a bid down from a premiership club last season for Armstrong, and Mcgregor now gets a game ahead of him. 

4 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Do you imagine Fulham wouldn't get absolutely trounced in Europe you fucking weapon

They'd be more competitive than Celtic. If you think we're going to qualify for a tournament with a team made up of players beaten 12-1 on aggregate by PSG you're completely deluded.

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Celtic turned a bid down from a premiership club last season for Armstrong, and Mcgregor now gets a game ahead of him. 

If a premiership club wanted him, they'd have him.

They'd be more competitive than Celtic. If you think we're going to qualify for a tournament with a team made up of players beaten 12-1 on aggregate by PSG you're completely deluded.

Surprisingly we don’t need to compete with teams of the quality of PSG to qualify. In fact I don’t even think we would need to be able to beat that standard of team to win the World Cup.

If the Celtic manager wasn’t so stubborn and adjusted his tactics accordingly they wouldn’t be getting beat by that sort of scoreline either.

And no Fulham wouldn’t even manage to qualify through the qualifying phase to get into the champions league.

Archived