The History Thread

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:
6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
Did History at university. Got this wee note in my pigeon hole from a girl in the tutorial group so called her one night. A good time had by all. 

Which University Shandon?

One in Fife. 

45 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:
6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
Did History at university. Got this wee note in my pigeon hole from a girl in the tutorial group so called her one night. A good time had by all. 

^^Used to cross dress & put notes in pigeon holes.

8 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

It amazing how it all links back..

Yeah - it is amazing how history is all linked together.

America decides that a Civil War would be just awesome.

That disrupts the supply of cotton.

Oh no.  Where else can we can get cotton?

Central Asia.

Oh how splendid.  Let's invade Afghanistan to get there.

"Apples in the Snow" by Geoffrey Moorhouse and "Great Game" by Peter Hopkirk are great books for this.
Less about war and more about intrigue.

8 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yeah - it is amazing how history is all linked together.

America decides that a Civil War would be just awesome.

That disrupts the supply of cotton.

Oh no.  Where else can we can get cotton?

Central Asia.

Oh how splendid.  Let's invade Afghanistan to get there.

"Apples in the Snow" by Geoffrey Moorhouse and "Great Game" by Peter Hopkirk are great books for this.
Less about war and more about intrigue.

Been quite a bit of revisionism about that too, it was all about abolishing the slavery, honest.....

11 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Interesting, though his wife is probably right about him being a nightmare to watch films with! I'd like to read what he thought of Platoon, that's probably my favourite war film.

Geologists are worse.

Watching "The Martian" starring Matt Damon.

"Hey what the f***.  You wouldn't get a rock formation like that on Mars."

IMO: Be careful who you watch a film with.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:
9 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Stalker

20 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Geologists are worse.

My missus works in a lab and even if there's a story on the news she's picking things up. To be fair, I'm pretty bad for picking up stuff being wrong in war films.

43 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Geologists are worse.

For the same reason, I've had to stop watching Harry Potter films with wizards. "You wouldn't point a wand like that", "that's not how you sit on a broom", "that spell wasn't gramatically correct".

They just ruin it.

Guest Moomintroll
For the same reason, I've had to stop watching Harry Potter films with wizards. "You wouldn't point a wand like that", "that's not how you sit on a broom", "that spell wasn't gramatically correct".
They just ruin it.
Hiya Rincewind, hiya pal.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

10 hours ago, dorlomin said:

The Great War Channel on youtube runs a short show to go over the history of the week 100 years ago in WWI. It has been one of the most fascinating things on the go. A vastly larger war than most people know, interestingly the Russians had a reasonable shot at winning it in mid 1916 when the Brusilov Offensive was close to knocking Austro-Hungary out of the war. Support for this was one of the two reasons the Somme Offensive was so badly needed but the Russian generals screwed up and the Germans were able to stabilise the Eastern Front. 

Yeah. I keep an eye on that and occasionally binge on a few episodes. It's pretty good that he doesn't just concentrate on the western front and pays a fair amount of attention to lesser known battles.

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They just ruin it.

stand-back-shits-about-to-get-real.jpg

This lad kens the score.

15 hours ago, pandarilla said:

The number of people who don't like the subject at school but later become interested is huge. It's partly down to shite teaching and boring topics but often just not being open minded enough at that time.

I am fascinated by history but in my case at school history was lumped into a group that also included applied mechanics which I'd wanted to use in what I believed was to be my career. We could only choose one so AP got it... (BTW that career path fizzled out pretty quick...)

On 06/10/2018 at 23:00, chomp my root said:

Hirschfeld: The Story of a U-Boat Nco 1940-1946

A quick google tells me this is the book. Couldn't find it upstairs so I've probably lent it to a mate. History (sorry) suggests I'll have to buy another copy. :(

Believe it or not but one of the U boat captains still lives aged 105.

https://uboat.net/men/hardegen.htm

uboat.net is a great site, get lost in there for hours at a time.

19 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There are way too many rude answers to that! 

It was a very useful degree in that it taught so much about arguing, looking for bias and not just believing what you read. Would be handy for anyone sucked in by "fake news" nearly everyone posting on the Politics forum. 

There you go.

Always had a passion for Geography at school - which I went on to study at Uni therefore was unfortunately excluded from studying History after second year as it was pretty much either/or, however it later life I have now developed a real interest in history.

For some reason the inter war period has become a particular favourite. I find it fascinating to try and understand what life was like after living through the WW1, as it must have changed everything. There were also a lot of societal changes throughout this period e.g. the prevalence of the motor car, TVs, votes for women and the beginning of consumerist culture and advertising becoming more widespread.

Some recommended (fictional) reading on this period would be as follows -

London Belongs to Me (Penguin Modern Classics)  Normal Collins

The Slaves of Solitude   Patrick Hamilton

Of Love and Hunger (Penguin Modern Classics)  Julian MacLaren-Ross

Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky (Vintage Classics) Patrick Hamilton

Hans Fallada is also excellent at giving insight into why Germany actually began WW2 and it it's very through provoking to hear this story from the other side as it were.

i find it incredibly enjoyable to learn about the day to day lives of people who would normally be forgotten and how they survived during these tough times.

52 minutes ago, jessmagic said:

Always had a passion for Geography at school - which I went on to study at Uni therefore was unfortunately excluded from studying History after second year as it was pretty much either/or, however it later life I have now developed a real interest in history.

For some reason the inter war period has become a particular favourite. I find it fascinating to try and understand what life was like after living through the WW1, as it must have changed everything. There were also a lot of societal changes throughout this period e.g. the prevalence of the motor car, TVs, votes for women and the beginning of consumerist culture and advertising becoming more widespread.

Some recommended (fictional) reading on this period would be as follows -

London Belongs to Me (Penguin Modern Classics)  Normal Collins

The Slaves of Solitude   Patrick Hamilton

Of Love and Hunger (Penguin Modern Classics)  Julian MacLaren-Ross

Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky (Vintage Classics) Patrick Hamilton

Hans Fallada is also excellent at giving insight into why Germany actually began WW2 and it it's very through provoking to hear this story from the other side as it were.

i find it incredibly enjoyable to learn about the day to day lives of people who would normally be forgotten and how they survived during these tough times.

My grandparents lived through it, never knew my maternal ones but spent a lot of time with my dad's folks, they had some fascinating stories, some quite harrowing. They were both dismissed because my grandad knocked up his fiance, they were both domestic servants and the Lord or whatever was disgusted. Obviously both of them losing their jobs was the way to deal with it.... 

Having met my granny I can understand why my grandad gave up his reserved occupation and volunteered to go to war, she could talk some. :lol:

Archived