Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

17 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Death, taxes, Messi bottling a big game. 

Surely Valverde is the bottler here? Sets up in away games with the intention of keeping teams at arms length rather than putting them to the sword. They've been lacklustre in plenty league games in his reign and that's now 2 spectacular surrenders in the CL.

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

If it ends up a Liverpool v Spurs final then there's no chance I'm watching it. I think I'll pull my fingernails out with pliers instead.

Watch it with the volume down/muted? I find the pro-English commentary tedious, but there's no chance it'd stop me watching the biggest game in club football. 

Absolutely sensational from Liverpool, what a fucking team. It’s quite funny but I bet at the start of the season most Liverpool fans would take the premiership over the champions league and vice Verda for City if they had to pick one. Liverpool will win the final who ever they are up against, I’d start Salah and Firminho as well but it’s pretty harsh to drop anyone who featured last night. Absolutely crazy.

Barca were well In control of this tie and Valverde set them up terribly. Liverpool were without possibly their 2 best players and If Barca had set up to attack they would've scored at least 1 and went through. Last night showed that Busquets as much as he's been a smashing player for them over the years De Jong must replace him next season with Rakitic and Arthur. Coutinho just slows them down as well and If he's gonna be playing needs played In the midfield 3. Barca need new blood and a new coach.

Fairplay to Liverpool they worked really hard and were fired up. They deservedly go through and Liverpool v Ajax could be a cracking final.

Surely Valverde is the bottler here? Sets up in away games with the intention of keeping teams at arms length rather than putting them to the sword. They've been lacklustre in plenty league games in his reign and that's now 2 spectacular surrenders in the CL.
They did have a fair amount of chances though. Coutinho, Suarez, Alba (x2) and Messi all had clear shots at goal. Not including Messi's 2 or 3 shots from the edge of the box which are usually more accurate.

21 minutes ago, Lex said:

Got to hand it to Liverpool, they certainly deserved to go through over the two legs.

La Liga has been stronger for the last 10 years but I don’t think it is anymore. The sheer amount of money in the EPL has finally taken its toll and it’s now the strongest league in the world IMO. City and Liverpool are both better than Barca this year.

We could have 4 English finalists out of 4 for the 2 European competitions come Friday.... remarkable scenes.

The rankings are based on an average of the last 5 years so Spain are still officially top 

But In terms of UEFA Coefficient points per season England moved ever so slightly ahead of Spain last year and will have some clear water between them this time. 

Spain had come out ahead of England in the previous 6 seasons (11/12 through to 16/17) but  didn't in any of the previous 4 seasons (07/08 to 10/11 although there was a dead heat in 09/10)

It looks very much as if the new EPL TV Deal has at least restored the balance and probably pushed it the other way. I'd be surprisedIf the EPL isn't in number one spot in 2 years time 

I'm deathly afraid Liverpool will win the final (this coming from someone who, of course, roots for Ajax), purely based on the fact that it's more or less the same team as last year's final but with an actualy half-decent goalie between the sticks this time.

'Mon the Dutch tonight all the same; a win will see Ajax equal the record for best European season by a single club (held currently by Real Madrid) by virtue of the results in the three qualifying rounds making up for the draws in the group stage.

Just now, ali_91 said:

They did brilliantly last night conceding so many chances as well eh? Great tactics. #ropeadope

No, obviously. A completely different game.

23 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’ll tell you what, i dislike Liverpool, but I’m absolutely buzzing to see you making an utter c**t of yourself. A terrible poster, a terrible human being, and a dribbling moron. Get it fucking up you. #ropeadope

Don't sit on the fence here.

I wouldn't have a problem with an all English final if it was actually one I fancied watching. I imagine that it doesn't really matter since Ajax are going to pap Spurs out anyways, but if it were City/Liverpool as a final, I'd be all over it. Spurs/Liverpool? Nope.

My main issue with an all English final is that Liverpool and Spurs have played each other twice this season and presumably (although I don't remember) Liverpool have won both encounters. I prefer it when the Champions League final features a matchup we haven't seen this season and where there is less of an air of inevitability to it. 

Also I'm not a 'Champions League should be for Champions' kinda guy but two clubs who haven't won their domestic title for 30 years in the final would be a bit pants. 

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

I’ll tell you what, i dislike Liverpool, but I’m absolutely buzzing to see you making an utter c**t of yourself. A terrible poster, a terrible human being, and a dribbling moron. Get it fucking up you. #ropeadope

:lol::lol:

Slaver.