Premier League 2018-19

1 minute ago, Principal Flutie said:

Ayr United would be well within their right to be worried about the slump and get rid of McCall. It would not be a wrong decision. Arguable? Sure. Could it go wrong? Sure. But one which is understandable.

I'd imagine that their owner will be looking at Hughton's job at Norwich. Does well. Then hits a slump but still manages to stay up. Kept on until it's too late. Hughton. Does well. Hits a slump. Owner might well be seeing the writing on the wall.

This "you should know your place" attitude isn't washing. It's devoid of any sort of ambition, and it's good to see a chairman get it right to f**k.

It's all about having a sense of realism though, Yes, you can reel out Burnley last year, Leicester when they won the league and even Huddersfield last season as the success stories, however for every success story there's umpteen failures which can send clubs hurtling into a steep decline and as I say, for a club like Brighton with their budget to avoid relegation and also reach an FA cup Semi Final would generally be seen by anyone as a good and successful season.

On the other hand we have the likes of Man Utd who have terribly under performed against their budget and expectations with a Manager who was being hailed as the "messiah" only 2 months back now seen as a clown who's level is the Norwegian leagues.

It's certainly a fickle cut throat world we're living in, where you're only as good as your last couple of results seemingly, and people wonder why we have the Managerial merry go round ????

Guest Moomintroll
Burnley are happy with their lot. That's absolutely fine. Brighton aren't. That's fine too.
It is up to the individual owners that is true, will be delighted if this comes back to bite them on the arse though.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's all about having a sense of realism though, Yes, you can reel out Burnley last year, Leicester when they won the league and even Huddersfield last season as the success stories, however for every success story there's umpteen failures which can send clubs hurtling into a steep decline and as I say, for a club like Brighton with their budget to avoid relegation and also reach an FA cup Semi Final would generally be seen by anyone as a good and successful season.

On the other hand we have the likes of Man Utd who have terribly under performed against their budget and expectations with a Manager who was being hailed as the "messiah" only 2 months back now seen as a clown who's level is the Norwegian leagues.

It's certainly a fickle cut throat world we're living in, where you're only as good as your last couple of results seemingly, and people wonder why we have the Managerial merry go round ????

Can't really bring up Burnley because they're happy enough with their lot. Leicester was a freak season so I won't really bring that up either. A bit of a perfect storm of opportunity. However, just because there's been failures, this doesn't mean that there has to be a complete lack of ambition either. Which goes back to your "know your place" attitude. If Burnley decided to have a shot and failed, doesn't mean they'd be wrong for doing so. Just means it didn't go well. But ambition isn't something to be sneered on.

Man United are horribly run and it doesn't matter who manages them right now. The next manager will underperform too. Their problems are a lot deeper than a manager.

Ultimately Hughton's history with the slump being followed by a further slump doesn't work in his favour either.

What's wrong with Brighton showing some ambition and trying to get a bit further? Are you seriously saying it's because it might not work out? Because it might not. But fair play to them for actually deciding that simply surviving isn't enough.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
9 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:
Burnley are happy with their lot. That's absolutely fine. Brighton aren't. That's fine too.

It is up to the individual owners that is true, will be delighted if this comes back to bite them on the arse though.

Being delighted at the failure of a club simply trying to be ambitious says a lot more about you than it does about them.

4 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Can't really bring up Burnley because they're happy enough with their lot. Leicester was a freak season so I won't really bring that up either. A bit of a perfect storm of opportunity. However, just because there's been failures, this doesn't mean that there has to be a complete lack of ambition either. Which goes back to your "know your place" attitude. If Burnley decided to have a shot and failed, doesn't mean they'd be wrong for doing so. Just means it didn't go well. But ambition isn't something to be sneered on.

Man United are horribly run and it doesn't matter who manages them right now. The next manager will underperform too. Their problems are a lot deeper than a manager.

Ultimately Hughton's history with the slump being followed by a further slump doesn't work in his favour either.

What's wrong with Brighton showing some ambition and trying to get a bit further? Are you seriously saying it's because it might not work out? Because it might not. But fair play to them for actually deciding that simply surviving isn't enough.

No, if that's what they want to do then who am I to challenge them ?

My whole point is around the fact that I see the bagging as pretty harsh considering they have reached an FA Cup Semi final, given their fans a good day out at Wembley and also kept the team up in the Premiership with presumably one of the smallest budgets in the league.

As I say, if they think they can and should be doing much better then fair play to them................

Guest Moomintroll
Being delighted at the failure of a club simply trying to be ambitious says a lot more about you than it does about them.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, nothing wrong with being ambitious, I just feel that Hughton hasn't done a bad job. If they bring someone else in that pushes them into upper midtable safety then fair play to them. Sometimes however owners seem to have false expectations of where they & their clubs really are & the Manager always pays for those false expectations, look at the utter car crash that is Man United, throughout every calamity the t shirt salesman endures even though he is the clownshoe that keeps bringing these people in.

20 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Behind every post of this nature hides a fragile character. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Good to see yesterday play out as expected. The only disappointment was the scousers hopes being raised for just a couple of minutes before being broken yet again. Shame it wasn't much longer. Absolutely everything went for them this season and they still came second. Just as well they don't care about winning trophies.

Muttley.gif.529f6184b02159fa9ea3a14db2269e04.gif

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

Good to see yesterday play out as expected. The only disappointment was the scousers hopes being raised for just a couple of minutes before being broken yet again. Shame it wasn't much longer. Absolutely everything went for them this season and they still came second. Just as well they don't care about winning trophies.

Muttley.gif.529f6184b02159fa9ea3a14db2269e04.gif

:lol: 

Re Hughton, I imagine it's not a simple formula of "good manager will win games in any situation". Some managers will do better at chasing promotion, others at fighting relegation, others at pushing on after promotion, etc.

12 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
25 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, nothing wrong with being ambitious, I just feel that Hughton hasn't done a bad job. If they bring someone else in that pushes them into upper midtable safety then fair play to them. Sometimes however owners seem to have false expectations of where they & their clubs really are & the Manager always pays for those false expectations, look at the utter car crash that is Man United, throughout every calamity the t shirt salesman endures even though he is the clownshoe that keeps bringing these people in.

Who's to say it's false? Who's to say with a different manager, Brighton couldn't punch well above their weight? They wouldn't be the first or last team to do so. Brighton will know this and hope to try and go further. Hughton certainly isn't the guy that's going to take them there.

Also need to point out, again, that the chairman will be looking at Hughton's time at Norwich, and will certainly not want to make the same mistake they did in much the same circumstances. Especially since Brighton have given Hughton more backing than he got there.

Again, Man United are irrelevant here. Doesn't matter who they bring in. Their problems run a lot deeper.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

No, if that's what they want to do then who am I to challenge them ?

My whole point is around the fact that I see the bagging as pretty harsh considering they have reached an FA Cup Semi final, given their fans a good day out at Wembley and also kept the team up in the Premiership with presumably one of the smallest budgets in the league.

As I say, if they think they can and should be doing much better then fair play to them................

I can understand why people see it as harsh, but people suggesting that Brighton just need to realise what they are? They need to pipe down immediately. Anyone who sneers on ambition is definitely on the wrong side.

44 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

"couple of results"? I think you're one result out there, quite frankly...

Folk slag smaller EPL clubs for being happy to tread water and just survive for the money. Now Brighton are being slagged for showing that's not enough and having a bit of ambition. It really is damned if you don't, damned of you do.

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Who's to say it's false? Who's to say with a different manager, Brighton couldn't punch well above their weight? They wouldn't be the first or last team to do so. Brighton will know this and hope to try and go further. Hughton certainly isn't the guy that's going to take them there.

Also need to point out, again, that the chairman will be looking at Hughton's time at Norwich, and will certainly not want to make the same mistake they did in much the same circumstances. Especially since Brighton have given Hughton more backing than he got there.

Again, Man United are irrelevant here. Doesn't matter who they bring in. Their problems run a lot deeper.

I can understand why people see it as harsh, but people suggesting that Brighton just need to realise what they are? They need to pipe down immediately. Anyone who sneers on ambition is definitely on the wrong side.

As I say, it ultimately comes down to budgets and where, realistically, the club expects themselves to be positioned within the league.

Ambition is one thing, however the realities of Brighton attempting to compete with your Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd etc are obviously complete pie in the sky as even Jesus Christ couldn't bridge that gap as Manager.

Now, if they were to poach a Sheikh Mohammed type character from somewhere then things could perhaps be a little different...............

When did anybody at Brighton say that they should be competing with Man City? Your attempts to build up a ridiculous straw man aren't going to work here.

Edited by vikingTON

Why the f**k do they need to bridge THAT gap? Wolves have had a great season for a team just getting promoted. They haven't bridged that gap. But if Brighton got that sort of season, they'd rightly be considering that a phenomenal season. And for the prize money on offer, that sort of target isn't to be sneered at. Hell, even finishing bottom half, in 11th, sees them making more than double the money that they've made this season and could allow them to try and push a bit further.

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Folk slag smaller EPL clubs for being happy to tread water and just survive for the money. Now Brighton are being slagged for showing that's not enough and having a bit of ambition. It really is damned if you don't, damned of you do.

I'm sure Brighton don't give a toss what you, me, or anyone else on social media or even the mainstream media think about their decision and neither should they.

Ultimately it's their decision to make and only time will tell if it's correct or not, but even on here we can see that everyone has a different opinion of what's the "right" thing to do and despite what some of us may think, none of us are clairvoyant or experts on Managerial appointments, so let's just wait and see how it all pans out.

Why the f**k do they need to bridge THAT gap? Wolves have had a great season for a team just getting promoted. They haven't bridged that gap. But if Brighton got that sort of season, they'd rightly be considering that a phenomenal season. And for the prize money on offer, that sort of target isn't to be sneered at. Hell, even finishing bottom half, in 11th, sees them making more than double the money that they've made this season and could allow them to try and push a bit further.

Wolves spent a ridiculous amount of money for a promoted team. I doubt Brighton have anyone able to inject that amount of cash. But, on the other hand, there’s only so long you can be the Hamilton of the division before you get your comeuppance.