Premier League 2018-19

Hot take; firing Hughton is absolutely the right decision.

Brighton were teethless in the second half of the season, 3 wins in, what, 20 matches or so? Firing the lad now stops the rot and gives a new manager a full off-season to prepare for what will be a very tough 2019/2020 season (Norwich and Sheffield Utd are seriously good and won't wildly spend money like a headless chicken and go down in flames like Fulham). Hughton did the exact same thing with Norwich in, I think it was 2012/2013, yet they kept him on into the next season until it was too late to avoid relegation. It's a brave decision to let him go now, after securing safety and the semi final in the FA Cup, but it's Brighton's best bet, really.

Cue all the asshats who will now cry racism or something of the like on Twitter.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

But never The Barclays.

Absolutely the Barclays :D. The old 1st Division was of course sponsored by Barclays in 1987-88 and 1989-90 when they last won it before football began in 1992. They of course no longer sponsor the Premier League. 

The "he can only work with what he's got" excuse I've seen banded about just doesn't wash with me. He has taken in a LOT of players and gotten rid of even more. This is a style that he has implemented on the team, so ultimately, it's his fault they are what they are. On top of that, it's not like he was known for his swashbuckling football before Brighton. He'll get a good gig in the Championship and do well most likely. That seems to be his level.

14 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

He'll get a good gig in the Championship and do well most likely. That seems to be his level.

He’s also kept Brighton in the Premier League for what will be a third season. No mean feat. This will be a gamble for Brighton. Big Sam in to replace whoever gets the job mid season ? 

22 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

The "he can only work with what he's got" excuse I've seen banded about just doesn't wash with me. He has taken in a LOT of players and gotten rid of even more. This is a style that he has implemented on the team, so ultimately, it's his fault they are what they are. On top of that, it's not like he was known for his swashbuckling football before Brighton. He'll get a good gig in the Championship and do well most likely. That seems to be his level.

The question is, where do the likes of the Brighton hierarchy and support believe they should be finishing with their budget ??

I'd reckon that "survival" for a club such as Brighton should be seen as a major success as ultimately three teams will be relegated and they're certainly in that "relegation candidates" category before a ball's kicked.

The grass isn't always greener as many clubs have found out to their cost...........

Those exact same questions have been asked of teams before, before they have gone on to improve. Brighton are clearly looking to push further. Will they? Maybe not, but does that mean they shouldn't be showing some ambition? Does it f**k.

They're absolutely correct to be trying to do better.

Edited by Principal Flutie

Guest Moomintroll
The question is, where do the likes of the Brighton hierarchy and support believe they should be finishing with their budget ??
I'd reckon that "survival" for a club such as Brighton should be seen as a major success as ultimately three teams will be relegated and they're certainly in that "relegation candidates" category before a ball's kicked.
The grass isn't always greener as many clubs have found out to their cost...........
Exactly, their owner is a guy who won some money playing cairds. We are not looking at Russian Oligarch or Middle Eastern Prince level of investment here. There are a lot of bigger clubs in the Championship that will be jealous of what Hughton has done by getting Brighton up & keeping them there, he will never set the world alight but he did a fantastic job.

53 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Brighton were teethless in the second half of the season, 3 wins in, what, 20 matches or so? Firing the lad now stops the rot and gives a new manager a full off-season to prepare for what will be a very tough 2019/2020 season (Norwich and Sheffield Utd are seriously good and won't wildly spend money like a headless chicken and go down in flames like Fulham). Hughton did the exact same thing with Norwich in, I think it was 2012/2013, yet they kept him on into the next season until it was too late to avoid relegation. It's a brave decision to let him go now, after securing safety and the semi final in the FA Cup, but it's Brighton's best bet, really.

Cue all the asshats who will now cry racism or something of the like on Twitter.

^^^ Geert Wilders

Interesting post, well worded.

1. Chris Hughton is 61 years old. Hardly a lad.
2. Norwich and Sheffield United are not, by any stretch of the imagination, “seriously good”.
3. Chris Hughton is extremely popular with fans of his previous clubs, even although results would suggest it should be otherwise. I have no idea how fans of Brighton feel about this (I don’t know any Brighton fans), but I’ll guess they’re not exactly delighted he’s gone.
4. You’re the one who brought up racism.
5. I can’t disagree with anything else you’ve said.

Absolutely mental to see people claiming that Brighton have some sort of magical glass ceiling at 16th/17th in a division in which fucking Burnley finished 7th just last year. And I don't think that's Brighton's realistic ambition here, but rather 'finish comfortably in 12th or something instead of having a truly dogshit, relegation scrap with a terrible Cardiff side'. 

33 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The right decision to bin Houghton now. Brighton have been utter dogshite since Christmas.

So have my own team, however as a realist I certainly wouldn't like to see McCall sacked as we also have punched well above our weight with regards budgets etc.

The reality is that like Ayr, Brighton have a very small squad relative to their peers and in the modern game where the emphasis is on fitness and stamina this tends to catch up with teams as the season progresses.

It should also be remembered that Brighton had an excellent FA cup run and Hughton took them all the way to the semi finals where they were ultimately beaten by Man City by only a single goal, surely this should be seen as another major success ??

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Interesting post, well worded.

1. Chris Hughton is 61 years old. Hardly a lad.
2. Norwich and Sheffield United are not, by any stretch of the imagination, “seriously good”.
3. Chris Hughton is extremely popular with fans of his previous clubs, even although results would suggest it should be otherwise. I have no idea how fans of Brighton feel about this (I don’t know any Brighton fans), but I’ll guess they’re not exactly delighted he’s gone.
4. You’re the one who brought up racism.
5. I can’t disagree with anything else you’ve said.

Lad is a bad choice of word on my part, but then English is far from my first language. I've seen both Norwich and Shef Utd play on a fair few occasions and I think both can surprise next year - especially given Stuart Webber (who masterminded Huddersfield's promotion) will continue to helm Norwich' technical department as sporting director and United's approach to playing from the back. I rate both of them higher than the 17/18 Cardiff and Fulham sides.

Fair point on me kicking the -ism hornets' nest in this particular thread, but I've seen that card pulled on Twitter a fair few times this morning - very similar to Hughton's dismissal at Norwich.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So have my own team, however as a realist I certainly wouldn't like to see McCall sacked as we also have punched well above our weight with regards budgets etc.

The reality is that like Ayr, Brighton have a very small squad relative to their peers and in the modern game where the emphasis is on fitness and stamina this tends to catch up with teams as the season progresses.

It should also be remembered that Brighton had an excellent FA cup run and Hughton took them all the way to the semi finals where they were ultimately beaten by Man City by only a single goal, surely this should be seen as another major success ??

Ayr United would be well within their right to be worried about the slump and get rid of McCall. It would not be a wrong decision. Arguable? Sure. Could it go wrong? Sure. But one which is understandable.

I'd imagine that their owner will be looking at Hughton's job at Norwich. Does well. Then hits a slump but still manages to stay up. Kept on until it's too late. Hughton. Does well. Hits a slump. Owner might well be seeing the writing on the wall.

This "you should know your place" attitude isn't washing. It's devoid of any sort of ambition, and it's good to see a chairman get it right to f**k.

Just now, Tarmo Kink said:

Exactly this. People seem to cry about managers who are ‘nice guys’ getting sacked. Hughton has been there for 3 years, brought in fucking loads of players and hasn’t finished above 15th. When do you draw the line and start being ambitious?

The turnover in players has been mental. He's been well backed by the owner.

Guest Moomintroll
Absolutely mental to see people claiming that Brighton have some sort of magical glass ceiling at 16th/17th in a division in which fucking Burnley finished 7th just last year. And I don't think that's Brighton's realistic ambition here, but rather 'finish comfortably in 12th or something instead of having a truly dogshit, relegation scrap with a terrible Cardiff side'. 
Yes but remember Burnley got relegated, stuck with Dyche & have reaped the rewards. Hughton had done enough to be afforded similar loyalty & a chance to bring in a few players to push them up the table.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yes but remember Burnley got relegated, stuck with Dyche & have reaped the rewards. Hughton had done enough to be afforded similar loyalty & a chance to bring in a few players to push them up the table.

Burnley are happy with their lot. That's absolutely fine. Brighton aren't. That's fine too.