Premier League 2018-19

13 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
15 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:
Pepple are actually using Brighton's FA Cup run as some sort of reason why Hughton shouldn't get sacked? They beat Bournemouth, beat West Brom after a replay and extra-time, scraped by Derby and then somehow got past Millwall (on penalties after being 2-0 down with 3 minutes to play and the goalie chucking a couple in).
Yes you can 'only beat what's in front of you', but I'm not sure scraping by 3 Championship sides with the help of replays, extra-times, penalties and a goalkeeping howler really adds much to his case. If anything, it was just confirmation that from Janaury onwards they were playing at the standard of a Championship club.
I think it's the right decision, people seem to think that because he has done a good job with the club in the past it is wrong to sack him (a bit like Ranieri at Leicester). Everyone has a point where they've done all they can do and where the club maybe needs a change. It looks like Brighton have reached that point.

Now that I have actually looked at their run of form since November, I retract my earlier statement. On this evidence Brighton would have been bolloxed next season, I agolopise to all who called me out, he needed to go.

To tie the two themes together

Retaining Hughton because he very nearly took Brighton Down (but didn't) would be like sacking Klopp because he very nearly won the league (but didn't)

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Caught some of MOTD last night. Michael Antonio's performances at the red card and penalty were simply embarrassing but I see Angus Gunn has decided he wants to be Scottish after all!

To tie the two themes together

Retaining Hughton because he very nearly took Brighton Down (but didn't) would be like sacking Klopp because he very nearly won the league (but didn't)

No it isn’t, as Brighton’s measurement of a successful league campaign doesn’t start and end at ‘avoid relegation’. They want a manager to consolidate a position in midtable and also get the best out of a squad that was enhanced at great expense in the past three transfer windows.

‘Finishing above two of the worst teams in Premiership history and being marginally better than a Championship-level Cardiff side’ is not a pass mark.

34 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Sorry... what? emoji38.png

100% why the hell would anyone want a runners up medal. Easier to accept getting pumped out early doors.

I'd imagine the money available would cushion the blow of losing the final for the players, tbh. 

Peter Crouch said on his podcast that after the group they get X amount. It then doubles with every tie they win. 

1 minute ago, quickoverayard said:
2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The term loser mentality gets handed about quite freely these days but you’ve just nailed it.

Sorry but i see that as far from it as it could be you'd be happy with best runner up cause i for one wouldn't.

Would I prefer to be a runner up to going out in the group stages? Absolutely yes, and anyone saying otherwise (hint: only you because it’s utterly fucking ridiculous) is either lying or truly one of life’s losers.

What’s the point in even competing in any tournament if you’d prefer your club to go out in the first stages? Might as well fold every single club bar the top few.

2 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The term loser mentality gets handed about quite freely these days but you’ve just nailed it.

Sorry but i see that as far from it as it could be you'd be happy with best runner up cause i for one wouldn't.

You don't have to be happy with runners up to prefer it to being pumped out in the group stage.

17 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Personally id rather go out in the group stage than be beaten in the final.... liverpool to win it for me tho 3-0.

42 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Sorry... what? emoji38.png

100% why the hell would anyone want a runners up medal. Easier to accept getting pumped out early doors.

giphy.gif

Just now, quickoverayard said:
4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
You don't have to be happy with runners up to prefer it to being pumped out in the group stage.

Well getting over a defeat in a final would be a lot harder than going out in the group stages.

As I said, absolute loser mentality.

Just now, quickoverayard said:
2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
As I said, absolute loser mentality.

Like i said far from it, yes playing in a champions league final would be a highlight but to be on the losing side would be devastating.

Do you want to play in the final? Naw, I'll be sad if we lose.