Premier League 2018-19

19 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The daytripper frenzy on here has always amused me. Yeah, it is annoying seeing foreigners taking photos but do you realise how much these people generate at the bigger clubs?

I've seen a group of Mexicans at Old Trafford spend thousands, and I do mean thousands, of pounds in the club shop prior to the match. That will happen every game. Guys, like us, who try to go to as many matches as we can, in my case, not as often as I should, these days, we go and take our seats and rarely even buy a programme. Agreed?

These tourists will spend money in the club shop, buy a programme, a beer, a pie, whatever. The more tourists the better as far as the clubs are concerned, and that's why the "real" fans are concerned about young local kids not getting tickets these days. 

I find myself agreeing with you again. Interesting you were inside the United Megastore though. :whistle Are the so-called daytrippers really stopping local kids getting tickets though?  I'd say the club's prices are. These same tourists will probably have bought expensive tour/holiday packages or gone to the Vileagogos of this world. They're in a different market from the local kids. 

Funny thing is, when a club like Saints took 15,000 to the 2014 Cup Final it was looked on as something to be proud of that so many 'day trippers' went along. Strange that it's deplored in other circumstances.

It’s going to be a long hard season for my team, Southampton, who will struggle big time. Nice to get a win over Brighton in the Cup last night, but we are a little off the pace in the premier league, with only 2 wins at home in 18 games! Poor, very poor. 

The only shining light, is there is a lot of rubbish in the premier league again this season, so hopefully, we will be better than 3 others? 

23 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Agree with this tbh.

The oddest thing to me is how many people are bypassing the idea that these guys probably have no feelings towards United one way or the other and are just there to watch a game of football. 

I have no doubt those guys weren't "the home support" or even close. They just fancied a Man United game. And I'm not sure what's wrong with that either.

Theres nothing wrong with it. It only gets annoying when the same folk start hurling abuse at the lack of fans in Scottish football, when they're the reason for that. 

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

I have absolutely no reason to know where you live. Given your obvious disdain for daytrippers and fans travelling a couple of hundred miles to Manchester to support their team I took it you must live close to the club you support but it turns out you actually cover both of these elements yourself. You've obviously inherited the scouse hypocrisy gene anyway. 

The man who lives a couple of hundred miles from his team and doesn’t even day trip ... hypocrisy eh :lol: 

14 hours ago, 7-2 said:

I have absolutely no reason to know where you live. Given your obvious disdain for daytrippers and fans travelling a couple of hundred miles to Manchester to support their team I took it you must live close to the club you support but it turns out you actually cover both of these elements yourself. You've obviously inherited the scouse hypocrisy gene anyway. 

i think there is a clear difference between people going for the experience ( which i have not said anything bad about) and people going to support their team.

i think there is a clear difference between people going for the experience ( which i have not said anything bad about) and people going to support their team.
Well no, if you are travelling hundreds of miles to see a team which you have simply decided to become a fan of, in another countries league you are a daytripper. That you do it more often doesnt move you out of that category.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
50 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

Well no, if you are travelling hundreds of miles to see a team which you have simply decided to become a fan of, in another countries league you are a daytripper. That you do it more often doesnt move you out of that category.

it does, because i decided the way everyone else does, family influence, been taken to their first game , that was all Liverpool so why should i support someone else?

if you get taken to a falkirk game by a family member that supports them  when you are young and you support them for that reason , i see no difference between that and my reasons for supporting Liverpool, i know some will try and discredit that because it's an english team but quite frankly there is no difference.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, DanMc99 said:

Sometimes people take the more difficult option of following a team a bit further away. Deal with it :)

it does, because i decided the way everyone else does, family influence, been taken to their first game , that was all Liverpool so why should i support someone else?

if you get taken to a falkirk game by a family member that supports them  when you are young and you support them for that reason , i see no difference between that and my reasons for supporting Liverpool, i know some will try and discredit that because it's an english team but quite frankly there is no difference.
I dont know about your family background or where you live or anything, but that sounds remarkably similar to the bullshit I have endured all my life from arse cheek fans who, despite have never been to either of their cowps more than a handful of times, have the cheek to slag my team. Then when challenged on why it is that they support a team from Glasgow, who just happen to be one of the two most successful teams, spout some unimaginative pish about how "ma da' supports the Ranjurz/Sellick".

You have the right to support anyone/go to any stadium you want. But I will reserve the right to respect your views of what it means to be a supporter less than those of people who put up with all of the pish that goes with being a Falkirk fan because thats their local team, or various others throughout Scottish football.

As someone already said, people leaving Falkirk in cars buses and trains to support more successful teams, then having wee digs at us or Scottish football have a clear issue with self awareness. Not saying you are having digs personally, but this thread is pretty rife with that sort of stuff, and given the support the arsecheeks enjoy, Scotland is very obviously rife with it.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont know about your family background or where you live or anything, but that sounds remarkably similar to the bullshit I have endured all my life from arse cheek fans who, despite have never been to either of their cowps more than a handful of times, have the cheek to slag my team. Then when challenged on why it is that they support a team from Glasgow, who just happen to be one of the two most successful teams, spout some unimaginative pish about how "ma da' supports the Ranjurz/Sellick".

You have the right to support anyone/go to any stadium you want. But I will reserve the right to respect your views of what it means to be a supporter less than those of people who put up with all of the pish that goes with being a Falkirk fan because thats their local team, or various others throughout Scottish football.

As someone already said, people leaving Falkirk in cars buses and trains to support more successful teams, then having wee digs at us or Scottish football have a clear issue with self awareness. Not saying you are having digs personally, but this thread is pretty rife with that sort of stuff, and given the support the arsecheeks enjoy, Scotland is very obviously rife with it.

fair enough but don't judge me on the basis of others.

your bottom point you made is something i personally don't like either, i never talk down the scottish game , i watch a hell of a lot of scottish football, i go to the national teams games when i can, i'm not some football snob who will only watch the Premier League, i'd watch a lot of scottish games before i watched some of the stuff been presented on Super Sundays.

16 hours ago, AAFCSim said:

It’s going to be a long hard season for my team, Southampton, who will struggle big time. Nice to get a win over Brighton in the Cup last night, but we are a little off the pace in the premier league, with only 2 wins at home in 18 games! Poor, very poor. 

The only shining light, is there is a lot of rubbish in the premier league again this season, so hopefully, we will be better than 3 others? 

Not always the wisest to make predictions after 2 games, but Cardiff look a goner already and Huddersfield aren't much better. Saints would only need to be better than one other team. Mark Hughes though...

Managed to get tickets for Newcastle v Arsenal next month. Hopefully Arsenal continue their shaky start to the season and Newcastle have enough about them to cause problems to their shaky defence. I've been to 4 Newcastle games since moving down here and seen 3 wins and a draw so long may that continue... 

8 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

Whilst I do agree with bairnardo a bit (particularly OF fans), I think it only really annoys people when it’s a successful team that someone has chosen to support, and when they don’t actually go to games. Then it all seems a bit ‘fake’.

I actually agree with your viewpoint, as when your whole family support someone it’s not as simple as just ignoring that and supporting your local team. A couple of generations of my family have led to me supporting Middlesbrough and caring more about them than my local team. It doesn’t make me not care about Ayr Utd as I love following them when I can, but they’ll never mean as much to me as Middlesbrough, and that’s purely down to family.

Thing is, everyone has a different reason for following the clubs they do. It's never as simple as following your local club. For example, Falkirk has, or had, three professional clubs. Why are Falkirk the most popular, because they are the most successful. Bloody glory hunters.

That's the way it happened with me anyway. I was taken to Firs Park, Ochilview and Brockville as a nipper, depending on who was at home. I didn't have any loyalty to any of them, I don't stay in Falkirk and my local club at the time was Airdrie. So, eventually picking Falkirk as my club of choice was gloryhunting, pure and simple.

At the same time though, my brother was working in Liverpool and he went to Anfield and used to bring gifts brought home so of course I started following them. My parents even made me watch games so I could look for him in the crowd.

I hate the judgmental nonsense on this forum at times.

35 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Of course people may support teams tens or hundred of miles away for family ties etc. It just seems more than coincidental that the team in question is usually 'big 6' team who frequently win trophies.

Hmmm ... try 1 in 12 years and having seen them finish runners up in all 5 competitions in as many years. That’s alot of miles and dosh for all that glory :lol:

7 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Hmmm ... try 1 in 12 years and having seen them finish runners up in all 5 competitions in as many years. That’s alot of miles and dosh for all that glory :lol:

You yourself did say the reason you started supporting them was because of the success they had at the time though. I think if you go to the games then people can’t complain too much, but I do understand a bit of the frustration from fans of smaller clubs when people leave their town on a Saturday to go to Glasgow/down south to watch a team because they’re more successful.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You yourself did say the reason you started supporting them was because of the success they had at the time though. I think if you go to the games then people can’t complain too much, but I do understand a bit of the frustration from fans of smaller clubs when people leave their town on a Saturday to go to Glasgow/down south to watch a team because they’re more successful.

I can understand that, but there's a real holier than thou attitude about it.

I don't think anyone has the right to say how anyone watches their football or who they support or why. If a club being successful is a reason for someone supporting a club, then it has f**k all to do with anyone else.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Successful and were absolutely brilliant  to watch. Add in the atmosphere at the games and you are hooked. I definitely get the frustration of smaller teams though. Then again, as is mentioned above, there’s another even smaller local team that they will probably driven past on the way.  

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Just now, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I can understand that, but there's a real holier than thou attitude about it.

I don't think anyone has the right to say how anyone watches their football or who they support or why. If a club being successful is a reason for someone supporting a club, then it has f**k all to do with anyone else.

Pretty much, and generally I’m along the same type of thinking. Old Firm fans are the real exception for me though, because they tend to have the arrogance to have a go at small club “diddy” supporters for actually supporting their local team. Coming out with phrases like “why would you watch them, they’re shite”. Winning is not what football is about for me, and the idea of disregarding my current club for being shite, or picking a club based on them being good seems mental.

Obviosuly though, people can and do choose to support whoever they like and they shouldn’t care what people think about it. I certainly don’t. But at the same time they’re open to being derided by fans for choosing the easy option of a good team, and with plenty of these type of supporters I don’t think they actually care all that much about the club. For smaller club supporters a win means more.