Fitba Guid Reads

velo army

So I love fuelling my excitement of the World Cup by reading some excellent books on our favourite subject. Put your recommendations for your favourites below.

My recommendations are as follows;

Inverting the Pyramid, by Jonathan Wilson.

This is a must-read for fans watching this world cup. It is, in essence, a history of football tactics, how the game was begun and how, through various innovations by coaches throughout history, it became the game we see today. It is much more than that, however. Wilson takes us on a journey throughout the world and through the favelas of Brazil to the cafes of 1920's Austria, where debates in philosophy would have secondary importance to those of football. It's a socio-political analysis but it is also a very human book. Jonathan Wilson's book is at times an anthropological look at the beautiful game. I can't recommend this enough.

Brilliant Orange, by David Winner.

Winner's love letter to Dutch football sees him attempt to explain the Dutch attitude to football, and the evolution of total football, through the prism of Dutch culture. He looks at social history, art, and politics over the centuries to try and get us to understand the Dutch footballing mindset. It's a thoroughly enjoyable book and shows how much football can teach us about the world and its countries. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The section on the rise and fall of Cattenacio in “inverting the pyramid” is particularly interesting for scottish readers who’ve heard about the 1967 European cup final ad nauseum but only as a triumph for Celtic, Scotland, Glasgow, Britain, Northern Europe or whatever

Inverting the pyramid was the first time I’d read the other half of the story, the tale of how Inter Milan imploded.

Simon Kuper isn't bad but in Football Against the Enemy he does a chapter on Scotland - Celtic vs Rangers etc - and it was one of those situations where to a native he's got various bits so badly wrong it makes you wonder how reliable he is on the other areas. IIRC he makes the claim that if Scotland ever became independent the most likely scenario would be that politics would degenerate along sectarian lines into Catholic vs Protestant, which is obviously just laughable to anyone who actually lives in the real world in 21st century Scotland.

A valid criticism but in mitigation it was published in 1994

ETA: I had to look that up and I now feel really old

So I love fuelling my excitement of the World Cup by reading some excellent books on our favourite subject. Put your recommendations for your favourites below.
My recommendations are as follows;
Inverting the Pyramid, by Jonathan Wilson.
This is a must-read for fans watching this world cup. It is, in essence, a history of football tactics, how the game was begun and how, through various innovations by coaches throughout history, it became the game we see today. It is much more than that, however. Wilson takes us on a journey throughout the world and through the favelas of Brazil to the cafes of 1920's Austria, where debates in philosophy would have secondary importance to those of football. It's a socio-political analysis but it is also a very human book. Jonathan Wilson's book is at times an anthropological look at the beautiful game. I can't recommend this enough.
Brilliant Orange, by David Winner.
Winner's love letter to Dutch football sees him attempt to explain the Dutch attitude to football, and the evolution of total football, through the prism of Dutch culture. He looks at social history, art, and politics over the centuries to try and get us to understand the Dutch footballing mindset. It's a thoroughly enjoyable book and shows how much football can teach us about the world and its countries. 

I bought inverting the pyramid last week and just started it. Good to know it comes highly recommended.

Soccernomics is a very good read too.

My Father and other Working Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach.

Some people might remember him as the host of C4s American Football coverage, but his Dad Stewart was a Scotland international and played at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Excellent read.

'A Life Too Short'

The story of Robert Enke and his battle with depression which ultimately led to him taking his own life. Excellent book that I'd recommend to anyone, football fan or otherwise. Offers a great insight into how depression actually manifests itself and takes hold in the mind of someone who, on the face of it, had everything he could ever want.

'A Life Too Short'

The story of Robert Enke and his battle with depression which ultimately led to him taking his own life. Excellent book that I'd recommend to anyone, football fan or otherwise. Offers a great insight into how depression actually manifests itself and takes hold in the mind of someone who, on the face of it, had everything he could ever want.
Yep, would thoroughly recommend it. Not an easy read by any means but as you say very insightful.

My Father and other Working Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach.

Some people might remember him as the host of C4s American Football coverage, but his Dad Stewart was a Scotland international and played at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Excellent read.

You learn something every day. Absolutely no idea that his Dad was Scottish let alone played for the National team.

18 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Nowhere Men (scouting), No Hunger In Paradise (youth devt) and Living on the Volcano (management), all by Michael Calvin.

Working my way through Living on the Volcano. I know as a manager you've got to be, but it's still frightening how dogmatic most of these managers are.

Outside of what's been mentioned.

32 programmes by Dave Roberts. An avid programme collector with a collection of over 1,000 picks his 32 favourite programmes and writes about his experiences and nostalgia from the 32 games. A solid read.

The Italian Job by Gianluca Vialli - shadow written with Marcotti. 

Matchdays by Ronald Reng - Takes you through the bundesliga in the eyes of a player who would go to be a manager called Heinz hoher. Anyone who liked a 'A life too short' will enjoy it as it's from the same author.

I  have all of the above at 4/5 on my goodreads.  Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is surprisingly relevant to me even if was written around the same time I was born.

I bought four new books just before World Cup. 

Currently on Soccermatics - looking at maths and football...

Also got Soccernomics - Why England lose.

The Mixer: Story of Premier League Tactics

The European Game: The secrets of European Football Success.

Read, or at least own, most of those mentioned. Couple to look into though.

Read quite a few books about Clough and his assistant Peter Taylor. Jonathan Wilson did a decent one.  Just find him and his footballing journey very Interesting.

Archived