Argentina v Croatia 7 pm 21/6

throbber

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

He's not been any worse than the rest of their attacking players.

Yes he quite clearly has: he took an awful penalty to cost them an opening win while doing next to no serious running; he was effectively a man down in that game and I wouldn't be surprised if his abysmal showing tonight told a similar story. 

They've all been hopeless because of the embarrassment of a defence and midfield behind them. If Sampaoli had any bollocks he would accept that he's completely wasted the wealth of attacking talent at his disposal by expecting them to carry the disaster of a defence and midfield after he completely failed to put together a game plan to make up for their shortcomings.

Messi, Aguero, Higuain and Dybala have all been individually poor, but no Argentina player has had any chance to look good due to Sampaoli.

This is the third manager that Argentina have had in the last eighteen months or something so most of the blame doesn't lie with Sampaoli - they were garbage long before he took over with the same players. Sampaoli should however be blamed for the moronic decision to just throw forwards on and yield the entire midfield to Croatia, which was only ever going to lead to them being overrun. 

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, virginton said:

the moronic decision to just throw forwards on and yield the entire midfield to Croatia, which was only ever going to lead to them being overrun. 

Aww, come on.  It's not as if Croatia had one of the world's best midfielders in there or anything.  They didn't need a midfield.  Just Messi bantzlol.

6 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Cesc hitting the nail on the head there, Argentina not only have the Keystone Cops for a defence, they play with absolutely NO midfield and expect Messi to produce magic moments out of his arse!!!
Don't think that's how Barcelona set up and for some reason he's the best player in the world when he plays for them!!!

Can't really be the best player in the world if you're completely useless when the team isn't built all around you though. Not to mention his role in getting managers sacked at Barcelona because they had the temerity to put him in a position of the park that he didn't agree with. 

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Aww, come on.  It's not as if Croatia had one of the world's best midfielders in there or anything.  They didn't need a midfield.  Just Messi bantzlol.

It was definitely surreal to see one of the most feted managers of the last decade take his tactical masterplan in a crucial World Cup tie from the Jimmy Calderwood book of football management.

Arguably Argentina may be better without Messi, purely because it means the rest of the players aren't constantly looking to give him the ball at every opportunity. As has been said before Messi has nowhere near the same attitude to Argentina as he does Barcelona, he plays at half the pace. I thought someone like Banega or Biglia would have been in the midfield to give a bit of ball retention in midfield and allow Messi or Dybala to receive the ball off someone that isn't a centre-half.

48 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

He's not been any worse than the rest of their attacking players. They've all been hopeless because of the embarrassment of a defence and midfield behind them. If Sampaoli had any bollocks he would accept that he's completely wasted the wealth of attacking talent at his disposal by expecting them to carry the disaster of a defence and midfield after he completely failed to put together a game plan to make up for their shortcomings.

Messi, Aguero, Higuain and Dybala have all been individually poor, but no Argentina player has had any chance to look good due to Sampaoli.

I get that. But surely if you want to be "the greatest ever", you've got to be able to perform when a team isn't set up to your strengths? 

Just saw the goals there. I made a joke in an earlier thread that I couldn't believe Speroni never made the Argentina squad/played ahead of that Caballero. It was a joke made in reference to my bigging up of former Dee's on here that often gets slagged, but holy f**k what an absolute disaster that Cabalerro is. It's shocking that Speroni never as much as received a call up in his whole career when that's what is ahead of him. :lol:

How can a team with such a good frontline and have the likes of Otamendi, Rojo and Mascherano through their spine and still be such an utter fucking shambles.

That third goal is about as embarrassing as it gets at this level. Absolute shambles. 

I've read/heard folk on here and elsewhere talk about Argentina being a great team on paper. I don't see it myself. Up front aye, they've got great names (not that it's working in practice) but there are some absolute huddies in there. 

Wee Modric though, wooft.

20 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

That third goal is about as embarrassing as it gets at this level. Absolute shambles. 

I've read/heard folk on here and elsewhere talk about Argentina being a great team on paper. I don't see it myself. Up front aye, they've got great names (not that it's working in practice) but there are some absolute huddies in there. 

Wee Modric though, wooft.

Mauro Icardi should have been In that squad regardless of his antics. One of the best strikers In Europe last season 29 In 34 Serie a or something. Dybala should also be starting. Pastore In the middle of the pitch as well.

Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain and Dybala could play for most teams In the world. Their defence though Is utter gash. The problem I think Is attitude behind closed doors cause surely on paper that team could get past Iceland and put up a real fight against croatia.

Having just seen this scoreline after being unable to watch this due to other commitments I have to say I am not necessarily surprised by Croatia winning but by how easy it looks for them.  I gather that Rebic I think it was who opened the scoring for a them should have been sent off before that for a horrendous tackle, but survived even a VAR review.  If he had been sent off I wonder how events would have differed.

Archived