Museums and Galleries.

Le Tout P'ti FC

Where have you been of late?

I'm just finished seeing "Rip It Up: the story of Scottish Pop" at NMS.

I'm a regular to NMS, it's a very easy way to kill a couple of hours with my wee boy. But this was first time in a while I've went for my own sake, and it was magic!

What weird and wonderful museums have you visited on your travels? 20180624_122238.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best museum I've been to was the Warsaw Uprising  museum in, er, Warsaw. It told the heartbreaking story of the ill -fated revolt by Polish citizens against the nazis in 1944. It was dark and sinister and just oozed atmosphere. There was the amplified noise of a heartbeat echoing around the place. It made the hairs on my neck stand up. I was fascinated and lost myself in there for a couple of hours.

The worst was the national museum of geology in Bucharest. This was just row after row of stones in glass cabinet. It was fucking boring. The peasant museum across the road was interesting though and the village museum up the road was pretty cool. This was basically a public park with all manner of medieval wooden dwellings, churches etc. Well worth a visit.

This is not a museum, but by far the worst tourist attraction I've ever visited was the waltzing waters in Newtonmore. This was a theatre with a stage that contained nothing  more than a garden sprinkler with a few flashing lights behind it. They'd play music while lights flashed away behind this water that was being sprayed by the sprinkler. It was fucking gash and it seemed to go on forever. Up until that point I had no idea that it was possible for something to be so pish...

Love a museum but usually kids ones these days.

The NEMO Science Museum in Amsterdam is an absolute cracker. Was also at the Brooklyn Children's Museum yesterday and it was very good.

Big one next week, the New York Natural History Museum.

Love a museum but usually kids ones these days.

The NEMO Science Museum in Amsterdam is an absolute cracker. Was also at the Brooklyn Children's Museum yesterday and it was very good.

Big one next week, the New York Natural History Museum.

The company my girlfriend works for had their christmas party at NEMO, what a night that was.

The Scheepvaartmuseum across from NEMO is really good

On 25/06/2018 at 17:44, stevieKTID said:

The Scheepvaartmuseum across from NEMO is really good

Is it just loads of sniffing jars or are there live exhibits?

• 1 month later...

If anyone finds themselves in Vientiane, Laos then I cannot recommend the National Museum enough. It's the most dated, biased drivel you could hope to encounter and it's absolutely hilarious. Hilarious in a way that I didn't think was possible of a museum, but it was a genuine highlight of my time there. The USA are referred to as 'The Imperialist Dogs'  throughout the entire exhibition.

I visited The Museum of Broken Relationships while in Zagreb which I found quite interesting and unusual. There were some really hard hitting accounts of life, love and death  and one particularly bizarre piece where the author started out by describing the tragic death of her husband but then half way through it abruptly changed to a ringing endorsement of her new book.

20 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Where is that? And don’t say “Elgin”

East end of the High Street, near the Little Cross.  Shrunken head and Peruvian Mummy are still there. Both still very much wids by Elgin standards as well. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

In Halfords behind the hub caps and car mats.

Dont be silly, that's the Magic Tree museum your thinking of. 

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:00, Melanius Mullarkey said:

After having not been for about 30 years I took the bairn to Elgin Museum at the weekend. For quite a small museum it’s actually really good.

nice traditional museum that doesn't assume its visitors are idiots with a 5 second attention span.does it still have the display on elgins links with sevilla fc?

in a similar vein the bettyhill museums nice too,as is thursos, inverness's is all right too. what I like about some of these places is they often have temporary displays that are just totally random, for example inverness a few years ago had an in depth presentation on the heroic soviet defence of brest litovsk during the opening months of Barbarossa in 1941

the british museum in London is spectacular and free

also enjoyed the polish natiomal museum in Krakow,the Portuguese maritime museum in belem near Lisbon and Valencia city museum

Archived