England v. Belgium

I wish there was a way you could see what the coverage of Gareth "Gareth" Southgate and England would be like in an alternate universe if Kane hadn't headed in that injury time goal against Tunisia.

An abject pumping from Belgium then Colombia please.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

Using my food based predictor model I am going for 2-0 Belgium.  Regardless of whatever the English try to cook in pubs, Belgian Moules Frites is better pub fare.

fish-moules-frites-flickr-unorthodoxy-23

I'm not sure that qualifies as food, mate. Fuckin' Belgians and their 'cuisine'. Actually, just fuckin' Belgians in general, ugh.

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Using my food based predictor model I am going for 2-0 Belgium.  Regardless of whatever the English try to cook in pubs, Belgian Moules Frites is better pub fare.

fish-moules-frites-flickr-unorthodoxy-23

Basically, that's a bowl of snotters and gravel.

1 minute ago, DutchBorderer said:

I'm not sure that qualifies as food, mate. Fuckin' Belgians and their 'cuisine'. Actually, just fuckin' Belgians in general, ugh.

How would the Dutch feel if Belgium won the World Cup? Is there a fierce rivalry and is it more vociferous from one side than the other?

16 minutes ago, bairney said:

Are both teams going to try and lose? Imagine the over -the-top celebrations (which have been absolutely ridiculous this tournament) from a losing team.

Looking at the draw, both teams should be trying to win it. 

4 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

How would the Dutch feel if Belgium won the World Cup? Is there a fierce rivalry and is it more vociferous from one side than the other?

I'd much rather see Germany win the World Cup (although that's quite unlikely now) than Belgium...

7 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

We'd forever be butthurt, for the rest of eternity until the universe implodes and even then we'd still be mad enough to generate some form of light to illuminate the eternal darkness. 'We' enjoy making the Belgians the butt of every joke, and have long indulged in their perennial failure to qualify for tournaments prior to 2014. There's a bit of a superiority complex going on with 'us' v. the Belgians as well, the whole of the Netherlands would have to do some very deep soul-searching if that prank of a country actually wins the World Cup before we do.

Protip to get to know Belgium better; google "ugly Belgian houses" and check out the Facebook or instagram page.

The Belgians consider us noisy neighbours, but the Flemish and Walloons are too busy with their infighting to pay us any real heed.

Quite a few of my English work colleagues thought the media reaction to Germany was OTT.  Not all of course, so for them I hope Ingurland win tonight so that they can crank up the genuine feeling of 'we're going to win it' as they add Belgium reserves to the scalps of the mighty Algeria and Panama. The come down when the inevitable happens is going to be fun.

Against my better judgement we're about to head off to a potato heads pub - I've had a skin full already and of course England are already through so I'm expecting an easy-ish night.

We're meeting our Uruguayan friends so it might be a wee bit of an eye-opener for them.

Archived