Senegal vs Colombia

Was just playing with a thought in my head. So unconscious racial bias plays a part in, amongst other things, sentencing of black people (harsher sentences for the same crimes as white people). There have been social psychological experiments which show that we more easily attribute violent motivation to non-violent behaviour than we do for white people. 

I came to my head as I thought about the fact that two extra yellow cards knocked Senegal out. I wonder if the same bias has affected the referees in this tournament. I'm not suggesting anything, I was just playing with the thought in my head. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

No they think finishing second gives better quarter final and semi prospects.

Seriously

They're just excusing themselves in advance of getting rode by Belgium so they can play it off as exactly what they wanted anyway.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Was just playing with a thought in my head. So unconscious racial bias plays a part in, amongst other things, sentencing of black people (harsher sentences for the same crimes as white people). There have been social psychological experiments which show that we more easily attribute violent motivation to non-violent behaviour than we do for white people. 

I came to my head as I thought about the fact that two extra yellow cards knocked Senegal out. I wonder if the same bias has affected the referees in this tournament. I'm not suggesting anything, I was just playing with the thought in my head. 

Should probably have kept that thought in your head, mate. 

Lineker banging on about Japan and Poland settling for the result when the Colombian goal went in. Senegal were clearly trying to get the Colombians to cooperate in the same way when the Poles scored, but they weren't having it. 

13 minutes ago, velo army said:

Mane was absolute tripe in this game. His decision making and general slowness were quite alarming at times. 

Yes the raving about him was ridiculous.  He was shite.

He fresh aired it for a goal kick when the Colombian lad went down injured in the first half and they went on about it showing what a threat he was ??!!

Disappointed in Japan, honestly didn't think they'd be the type of team to stoop to those tactics.

And Poland? Ffs you've nothing to play for other than your win bonus(!) .. go for it and make up for your pathetic showing at the tournament just a wee bit.

Two countries with no self respect. f**k them both.

19 minutes ago, velo army said:

South Korea have the 10 Yellow Cards, more than anybody else, while Nigeria have four the same number as Japan

43 minutes ago, bairney said:

Looks like Drogba's in there. She can't keep her eyes off him. Lucky son of a bitch.

She was flirting up a storm with “big” Dion on the highlights last night. Giggling like a school girl, bet she’s been passed around the pro’s Moscow hotel rooms like a dubie at a party.

58 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes the raving about him was ridiculous.  He was shite.

He fresh aired it for a goal kick when the Colombian lad went down injured in the first half and they went on about it showing what a threat he was ??!!

Disappointed in Japan, honestly didn't think they'd be the type of team to stoop to those tactics.

And Poland? Ffs you've nothing to play for other than your win bonus(!) .. go for it and make up for your pathetic showing at the tournament just a wee bit.

Two countries with no self respect. f**k them both.

Poland were winning 1-0 and Japan had no intention of attacking. Why would Poland need to go for more goals when they were clearly going to win?

4 hours ago, velo army said:

I'd be fascinated to hear @banana's thoughts on this possibility, tbh.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

South Korea have the 10 Yellow Cards, more than anybody else, while Nigeria have four the same number as Japan

Coolio. I didn't think to compare other teams in other groups. Riddy.

31 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'd be fascinated to hear @banana's thoughts on this possibility, tbh.

Thank you.

Too many unsubstantiated premises and assertions in the OP to comment. To what extend does it exist? Does it exist in both directions? What's the difference in majority white v majority black v majority Asian v majority whatever group? Which social psychology experiments? What's the counter-evidence? What reasons were posited, what were proven? What's the counter theories and reasons? Is it the main component of any overall bias that might exist?

Generally though, I'd prefer to look at the individual incidents of the bookings to judge, and beyond that look over a long period of time rather than immediately descend into tribal paranoia about a few bookings for one team across three games featuring three sets of officials.

/lesson imo

11 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Poland were winning 1-0 and Japan had no intention of attacking. Why would Poland need to go for more goals when they were clearly going to win?

Because they had been pish the first two games and were already out so why not try to put on a decent performance and get a few goals in your final WC game? Instead, they played a game of keep ball with Japan as if it was a training session. I'd hardly say that's getting any pride back.

15 hours ago, velo army said:

I wonder if the same bias has affected the referees in this tournament.

I don't think the referees are all Australian, so probably not.

Archived