What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

In two-party systems I suppose there's this feeling that if you're bland enough in opposition, you just need to wait until the sitting government piss off enough of the electorate and then you get your turn and begin slowly pissing enough people off until the other lot get their next turn.

This seems to the the central tenet of the Labour centre/right.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's going to be an excruciating, slow drift rightwards to try and persuade racist old boomers who have no intention of ever voting Labour again.

Labour in Scotland is finished.  No strategy or change of course will having any meaningful impact.

Post Independence I hope and believe Scotland will be run by a left-of-centre party or coalition, I can imagine one or two of the troughers trying to get in on the act.

28 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

In two-party systems I suppose there's this feeling that if you're bland enough in opposition, you just need to wait until the sitting government piss off enough of the electorate and then you get your turn and begin slowly pissing enough people off until the other lot get their next turn.

This seems to the the central tenet of the Labour centre/right.

This is definitely what Labour think and are banking on. The problem (well, one of them) is that the Home Counties tend to get pissed off with them and go running back to old Governess Tory far quicker than they get pissed off with the Tories.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Unless and until they get rid of the darkies, the Tory vote share in England will stay north of 40%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994

Clearly that pig-fucker Cameron knew this. The Tories promote the idea that “multiculturalism” has been a regrettable leftie experiment, thereby comforting their racist core voters that one day, one day, they’ll reverse things and return the undesirables to Bongo Bongo land.

I'd say that conflating an ethnic group or religious orientation with a fucking job occupation is an utterly ridiculous comment, not sure where fair comes into it either way 

The “imagine if word X was replaced by Word Y! Would that be alright?” trope is a fairly good indicator of an idiot

Imagine if “Twist and Shout” were replaced by “The Horst Wessel song” Motherwell fans are utter scum

I can remember reading a Times column  from when Gordon Brown was PM  that basically argued that private school  English types  couldn't handle  how directly aggressive Scottish people are when they are annoyed.

Alexander is a twat but the people he bullied are probably complete fannies as well.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I can remember reading a Times column  from when Gordon Brown was PM  that basically argued that private school  English types  couldn't handle  how directly aggressive Scottish people are when they are annoyed.

Alexander is a twat but the people he bullied are probably complete fannies as well.

He's an aggressive Sevcoian fud.

Labour are fucked because they need to win back the 'red wall' and Scotland to have any chance of governing.

The messaging they think is required to win back the red wall like doing a brexit, flag shagging, thinking Britain and it's decrepit institutions are sexy and letting are brave boys do war crimes is inevitably going to go down like a lead balloon up here.

Equally, giving Jockistan permission to have a referendum, or chucking more money at the subsidy junkies won't play well down south with their coveted Daily Express columnist demographic.

7 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Labour are fucked because they need to win back the 'red wall' and Scotland to have any chance of governing.

The messaging they think is required to win back the red wall like doing a brexit, flag shagging, thinking Britain and it's decrepit institutions are sexy and letting are brave boys do war crimes is inevitably going to go down like a lead balloon up here.

Equally, giving Jockistan permission to have a referendum, or chucking more money at the subsidy junkies won't play well down south with their coveted Daily Express columnist demographic.

Nail on head. They can't have it both ways. So which are they prepared to give up? My guess is Scotland, because they're too far gone here. They won't admit it though.

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Nail on head. They can't have it both ways. So which are they prepared to give up? My guess is Scotland, because they're too far gone here. They won't admit it though.

Not only that they’re too far gone, but they must know from years of having Scotland as a fiefdom and still losing UK general elections that even a large majority of Scottish constituencies doesn’t mean forming a UK government. To ever win, they need the Tories to lose the support of most English constituencies.

17 hours ago, Detournement said:

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

From the same poll.  Seems most people are happy with Sturgeon’s leadership; but strangely not the Tories!

7A5E75E3-BC53-4A61-8C18-2A0EB6E3DAF1.thumb.jpeg.68f97b0c2831675721161c596da82e8c.jpeg