What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

And this is exactly the kind of in-fighting pish you never hear from the Tories. 

If you want to know why the Tories always win, it's this. You never hear them arguing about patriotism, or if their leader is pure enough/left wing enough/right wing enough/tough enough. They never hark back to past Tory governments and trash them. They don't have public sections of the party doing everything they can to take control of the party and expel their enemies. Johnson is the closest a Tory PM has ever come to this kind of bollocks.

I have joked before that nobody hates Labour like the left. In general I reckon you could say that nobody hates Labour like Labour members. 

The morning after they lost in 2019, the giant brain that is Richard Burgon was interviewed on radio and he was crystal clear what caused Labour to have such a big loss: Tony Blair. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

And this is exactly the kind of in-fighting pish you never hear from the Tories. 

If you want to know why the Tories always win, it's this. You never hear them arguing about patriotism, or if their leader is pure enough/left wing enough/right wing enough/tough enough. They never hark back to past Tory governments and trash them. They don't have public sections of the party doing everything they can to take control of the party and expel their enemies. Johnson is the closest a Tory PM has ever come to this kind of bollocks.

I have joked before that nobody hates Labour like the left. In general I reckon you could say that nobody hates Labour like Labour members. 

The morning after they lost in 2019, the giant brain that is Richard Burgon was interviewed on radio and he was crystal clear what caused Labour to have such a big loss: Tony Blair. 

While in reality the Tories are significantly more factionalised than Labour but they aren't stupid enough (generally) to fight their internal battles in public or pursue a strategy of defeating a largely false caricature their opponents have made of them. 

Clowns. 

The Tories spent 20-odd years from the mid-90s tearing themselves apart over Europe and were out of power for 13 years and 3 GEs, it took a global economic collapse and the second most lacklustre PM in history (Brown behind May) for them to form a minority government after the 2010 GE. A near total collapse of the Lib-Dems in 2015/17 due to them selling out their principles secured another 4 years while the Tories remained split over Europe. It wasn't until 2019 when the party coalesced behind Johnson that a fatigued electorate decided to embrace his "oven ready" plan which most folk knew wasn't really "oven ready" and was gonna turn out to be pretty meh  that the Tories started to look more unified than Labour.

38 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not really m8.

It's because 99% of politics in this country is a scam and a cruel hoax. Just a conveyor belt of suits and journalists roaring horseshit at the public and each other. Everything is politically expedient and there's no position that can't be reversed 180 degrees within a week.

The Tories are just as factional as Labour, but you never teally hear about it in the press. I wonder why that is ? Who cares, it's the fault of the left.

It's all nonsense.

33 minutes ago, btb said:

The Tories spent 20-odd years from the mid-90s tearing themselves apart over Europe and were out of power for 13 years and 3 GEs, it took a global economic collapse and the second most lacklustre PM in history (Brown behind May) for them to form a minority government after the 2010 GE. A near total collapse of the Lib-Dems in 2015/17 due to them selling out their principles secured another 4 years while the Tories remained split over Europe. It wasn't until 2019 when the party coalesced behind Johnson that a fatigued electorate decided to embrace his "oven ready" plan which most folk knew wasn't really "oven ready" and was gonna turn out to be pretty meh  that the Tories started to look more unified than Labour.

I was born in 1979. Tories have been in power for 30 of the last 43 years. However you spin it they are a winning machine (or Labour are a losing machine). 

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was born in 1979. Tories have been in power for 30 of the last 43 years. However you spin it they are a winning machine (or Labour are a losing machine). 

That's a different argument, I was responding to your quote saying "And this is exactly the kind of in-fighting pish you never hear from the Tories."  I maintain that the you heard "in fighting pish" over EU membership from the Tories for most of the period from the mid 90s till 2019.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, 101 said:

Terrible result for the Labour party unless their reason to exist is to sweep this under the carpet.

At least they can put up a challenge to the Tories at something. Well done them. They need the Islamophobic vote if they want to take those Brexit voting areas the Tories did so well in last time.

12 hours ago, 101 said:

Terrible result for the Labour party unless their reason to exist is to sweep this under the carpet.

In NI many of us are critical of political parties existing to serve a particular religious grouping yet people see nothing wrong with trying to skew their politics to appeal to Muslims*.  I am very wary of any ‘community’ that defines itself by its religious beliefs.

* Or Christians, Jews, Trekkies, etc.

On 07/03/2022 at 16:17, scottsdad said:

I was born in 1955, that’s the last time the Tories won more votes in Scotland than any other party yet we have had to endure many more years of a ruling party that we do not vote for.

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

At least they can put up a challenge to the Tories at something. Well done them. They need the Islamophobic vote if they want to take those Brexit voting areas the Tories did so well in last time.

"- are you saying that all Brexit voters are racist? 

- no, I am saying that all racists voted for Brexit. 

- [confused] well I am insulted by that characterisation"

12259466-6921149-image-a-48_1555253986209.jpg

55 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

From the same article.

The Evangelical Alliance has offices in London, Cardiff, Glasgow and Belfast, and are active in Scottish politics, regularly contributing to consultations in the parliament. They have links with Christian politicians from all parties.

Their online leadership conference tonight is being attended by SNP Finance Secretary Kate Forbes. 

People like Forbes and John Mason should be nowhere near the SNP.  Sky fairy fuckwits.

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Is it that time again already? The shameless, shambling, eccie-jawed con-artist must by now have outdone George Parker, who only managed to keep selling the Brooklyn Bridge for thirty years.

No matter how many times Broon is wheeled out to sell his tattered and grubby wares it is remarkable how he is never, ever asked how he intends to gain consent for them from the Scottish electorate. As though his sage like musing that "this is actually what Scotland wants or needs" is sufficient to impose his grand plan. And lets be absolutely clear about this, major constitutional reform is so far down Sir Keith of BrexiterLegHumpers list of to do's Labour wouldn't deliver it, even if they wanted to or could. And they don't. And can't.