What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

7 hours ago, HTG said:

Colour me shocked at Labour's official position on the Rwanda bill. Jedi2 can rest easy now that he knows he's voting Tory wherever he puts his wee pro union X on the ballot paper. A shower of desperado arseholes. 

We know the Tories are vermin.

Labour are just spineless vermin.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

SNP : Abstain in Brexit votes even though they're against Brexit

Peabrain & Bovril: "well done, 4d chess from Sturgeon there, that makes sure the dirty Tories own that policy"

https://archive.news.stv.tv/politics/1436644-sturgeon-pressed-on-why-snp-mps-abstained-on-customs-union.html

Labour: Abstain in Rwanda votes even though etc etc

Peabrain & Bovril: "You b*****ds"

13 hours ago, HTG said:

Colour me shocked at Labour's official position on the Rwanda bill. Jedi2 can rest easy now that he knows he's voting Tory wherever he puts his wee pro union X on the ballot paper. A shower of desperado arseholes. 

Not to worry...you will be able to draw your wee cross in the yellow Tory box at the GE, safe in the knowledge that you are saying Yes to decimating Scotland's public sector, privatising any assets that aren't nailed down, keeping tax low for the bankers, and making sure the B of E still calls the shots.

Win, win for you there.

16 hours ago, HTG said:

I started this thread years ago with the subheading abstain party and nothing changes. Still the same cowardly party that would rather suck up to the far right then to the working class.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Keeping their scumbag Tory pals onside. Proving yet again, they have no interest in helping the needy, only the rich.

Again, take time to read either the Growth Commission, or the more recent Independence Policy Papers and try to reach the conclusion that's its not advocating an 'Independence for the Bankers and those with the most'

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, there’s several that they’ve said aren’t right wing enough. 

If there is, they're keeping it to themselves. 

No question that Labour have had a shocking couple of weeks, from rowing back on Green Energy (which I thought was a good policy and provided clear distance from the Tories), to abstaining on the Rwanda Bill, and now not capping bankers bonuses 

It's heading into 'none of the above' territory.

Oops....

"A LABOUR shadow minister "squirmed" when questioned about bankers’ bonuses and the two-child benefit cap on Sky News.

It comes after Labour's shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves announced that the party would keep Liz Truss's policy of unlimited bonuses for bankers if the party wins the General Election.

Sky News presenter Kay Burley asked Jonathan Reynolds – Labour’s shadow business secretary – about the decision on Thursday morning.

Burley asked: “Just to clarify, Labour is happy to cap child benefits but not bankers bonuses?”

Reynolds then squirmed, before responding: “Well, I would not make that comparison.”

“I just did,” Burley nudged.

Belter."

(Source - https://www.thenational.scot/news/24089420.senior-labour-mp-squirms-sky-news-grilling-bankers-bonuses/ )

22 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Oops....

"A LABOUR shadow minister "squirmed" when questioned about bankers’ bonuses and the two-child benefit cap on Sky News.

It comes after Labour's shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves announced that the party would keep Liz Truss's policy of unlimited bonuses for bankers if the party wins the General Election.

Sky News presenter Kay Burley asked Jonathan Reynolds – Labour’s shadow business secretary – about the decision on Thursday morning.

Burley asked: “Just to clarify, Labour is happy to cap child benefits but not bankers bonuses?”

Reynolds then squirmed, before responding: “Well, I would not make that comparison.”

“I just did,” Burley nudged.

Belter."

(Source - https://www.thenational.scot/news/24089420.senior-labour-mp-squirms-sky-news-grilling-bankers-bonuses/ )

I was out for a walk this morning with two retired mates, one of whom saw this live and mentioned it.  In the discussion which followed we agreed that whilst we are all former Labour voters, none of us will be returning at the GE.

Starmer is a factor, but a minor one compared to the way that the party has steadily moved to appease both the right-wing element of the UK electorate and corporate interests, rather than present policies to make a real difference to people's lives, both at home and abroad.

It's a vote winner not capping bankers' bonuses. I mean in Tory speak it would be restricting my opportunity to be the managing director of a major high street bank. 

The fact that I and most of the population have more chance of scoring the winning hat-trick for Scotland in a World Cup Final is neither here nor there. 

On 31/01/2024 at 16:05, Jedi2 said:

Again, take time to read either the Growth Commission, or the more recent Independence Policy Papers and try to reach the conclusion that's its not advocating an 'Independence for the Bankers and those with the most'

After said independence we the people of Scotland could choose to vote them any party advocating such austerity out.

That's the difference between independence and the current constitutional arrangement.

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

After said independence we the people of Scotland could choose to vote them any party advocating such austerity out.

That's the difference between independence and the current constitutional arrangement.

While technically true..it would be the SNP who would be in charge of the initial negotiations for Independence, as they would have 'won' the most seats/Referendum, whatever.

Yes, while they could be voted out if/when their austerity pledges were more apparent, I reckon they could still have enough core support to see them back in at the start (and off the back of the euphoria of winning Independence).

The best bet is for them to ditch these plans now, and come back with a much better prospectus...as said, get on board with an EFTA route, thereby negating the need for deep cuts to public services. Outline where the funding for public services will come from, how they are intending to trade, and have a timescale for a Scottish currency.

'Then' their plan for Independence becomes more appealing.

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was out for a walk this morning with two retired mates, one of whom saw this live and mentioned it.  In the discussion which followed we agreed that whilst we are all former Labour voters, none of us will be returning at the GE.

Starmer is a factor, but a minor one compared to the way that the party has steadily moved to appease both the right-wing element of the UK electorate and corporate interests, rather than present policies to make a real difference to people's lives, both at home and abroad.

Don't disagree. Starmer has become so terrified of losing this election through trial by Tory media now, that he is stripping back way too many of the proposals which make them both different from and better than the Tories...Green Energy, proper funding of public services, sorting out the bankers, taking on multinationals and non doms etc.

The outcome of this could be enough Tory voters in England who were thinking if switching, now wondering if they should  just stick with the full fat version.

Meanwhile it turns off potential 'new' Labour voters..who could go Lib Dem instead.

He could end up handing the Tories a road back at this rate.

Edited by Jedi2

12 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

While technically true..it would be the SNP who would be in charge of the initial negotiations for Independence, as they would have 'won' the most seats/Referendum, whatever.

Yes, while they could be voted out if/when their austerity pledges were more apparent, I reckon they could still have enough core support to see them back in at the start (and off the back of the euphoria of winning Independence).

The best bet is for them to ditch these plans now, and come back with a much better prospectus...as said, get on board with an EFTA route, thereby negating the need for deep cuts to public services. Outline where the funding for public services will come from, how they are intending to trade, and have a timescale for a Scottish currency.

'Then' their plan for Independence becomes more appealing.

Utterly transparent desperation, manifesting as concern trolling. 

Gotta love the Yoons . 

15 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Utterly transparent desperation, manifesting as concern trolling. 

Gotta love the Yoons . 

Sorry, nodded off half way through your insightful post there..🥱🥱

Edited by Jedi2

If only people had been consistently pointing this out over the last couple of years right ?

Oh well, time to get my wallet out for inspection.