What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

Sir Keir Starmer said he would be willing to work with Marine Le Pen's far-right party if it wins the French election, saying "that's what serious government is about".

That's Labour. Labour.

malcolm-tucker-fucking-fuck-me.gif.1335eca38bc5c0daa52224bf8dfb7f44.gif

Any U.K. government would be required to work with any French government regardless of its political composition.  The government of an Independent Scotland would be in the same position.

But you don’t need to acknowledge it in advance imo.

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Any U.K. government would be required to work with any French government regardless of its political composition.  The government of an Independent Scotland would be in the same position.

@lichtgilphead will be along with a full 5 page dossier with 17 citations 'proving' that an Independent Scotland wouldnt work with Le Pen 

Do we need to grow the economy - shouldn't we be thinking long term & be planning a sustainable future?

I say this as a boomer who enjoyed free Uni education & cheap mortgages who is watching his two kids come out with fairly hefty debts & poorer life prospects. - still I've  had my fun!

18 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

@lichtgilphead will be along with a full 5 page dossier with 17 citations 'proving' that an Independent Scotland wouldnt work with Le Pen 

Why would I do that? The SNP won't be in power after Thursday and hopefully neither will Le Pen.

Please stop telling these pathetic lies to try to deflect from actual Labour party quotes.

I've been reading today about how the Labour Party is being funded these days, having been surprised by the amount of printed material they produce, advertising space they've purchased and their blanket presence on social media.

Much of the funding appears to emanate from US health providers or US health insurers, and is directed not to the Labour Party, but to Labour Together, a think tank in which control has been obtained by a Josh Simons. Simons has had a chequered past, quite the chameleon, packing a lot into his 30 years. Starmer has made him a shoe-in for election, awarding candidacy to him for the safe seat of Makerfield. Or perhaps Simons awarded the seat to himself.

https://novaramedia.com/2024/06/06/who-is-starmtrooper-josh-simons/

Simons is the 'person with significant control' of Labour Together, a private limited company. Labour Together has acquired millions form private donations, mostly connected to US health companies, and Simons, as the  'person with significant control' of Labour Together, decides who gets that money, when and how much of it goes to Labour branches and prospective candidates. 

I'm unsure if what Labour, Labour Together, and Josh Simons are doing is entirely within the rules for electioneering.

A guy on 'X', Harry James, has got his teeth into the matter. Read his stuff here:

https://x.com/HarryJamesBooks

You'd think the media would be interested in these matters, but then again........

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Exactly this. No need to go anywhere that issue in that way but many ways to answer it in a more reasoned fashioned. Poor media  awareness, very naive or very dangerous? 🤔 

@Leith Green nails it 

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

But he has refused point blank to work with the SNP.

Starmer is a dangerous man, and he's going to be worse in about a week's time.

Nobodies mind will be changed, but when I have discussed SNP v Labour with friends (and my wife, ffs !) the text of this post on twitter pretty much nailed it for me - how many of these will be changed when Labour get in on Thursday?

(p.s. graphic not totally accurate, prescriptions in England are actually £9.90 !).

Edited by Leith Green

Governments have no choice but to work with neighbouring governments, to an extent. Saying "that's what serious government is" attempts to elevate a difficult and ugly reality to a point of pride and principle.

IMO a serious government knows the history of Europe, recognises that none of us are more than a few decades at most from a Kristallnacht against a persecuted minority and understands that the way you talk about migrants and refugees matters a great deal.