Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

Slightly off topic but the other day I was randomly thinking about what changed in that kids or young adults suddenly wanted to get as messed up as possible?

As mentioned on here the ballroom in dunfermline, when it opened originally it didn't serve alcohol. I imagine most similar dance halls didn't either. Men went to the pubs and drank a few pints and the pubs shut before twelve. What was wrong with this and although times change at some stage it got out of control and never recovered. When I was growing up there was peer pressure on getting drunk, really drunk. I just accepted it. At least smoking has gone out of fashion, I guess things can change but the slow death of pubs is due to pricing and it's driving a hidden culture of house binge drinking and drug taking to top up less boozing. It would probably be more beneficial to reduce the price of drink in pubs maybe?

15 hours ago, Oooooft said:

Absolute shite.

Weed in 0%?

Lol.

RTA fatalities would include a large number oot their tits after a joint.

The stoners I know are a menace behind the wheel, more so in the Summer when the roads are clogged with camper vans.

I know the politzi are testing for it more but even then a workmate got done for a wee bit of coke the other week whilst sitting in his car.

Not even breathalysed never mind a drug test.

And 'yes' he had partaken of a line or 3 afore they rocked up.

"Oot their tits". I don't think you know what weed is.

Coke's definitely become a part of drinking culture.

I didn’t realise how widespread it was till I started going out with work colleagues. Feels as ubiquitous in work culture as pills are to club culture.

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Slightly off topic but the other day I was randomly thinking about what changed in that kids or young adults suddenly wanted to get as messed up as possible?

As mentioned on here the ballroom in dunfermline, when it opened originally it didn't serve alcohol. I imagine most similar dance halls didn't either. Men went to the pubs and drank a few pints and the pubs shut before twelve. What was wrong with this and although times change at some stage it got out of control and never recovered. When I was growing up there was peer pressure on getting drunk, really drunk. I just accepted it. At least smoking has gone out of fashion, I guess things can change but the slow death of pubs is due to pricing and it's driving a hidden culture of house binge drinking and drug taking to top up less boozing. It would probably be more beneficial to reduce the price of drink in pubs maybe?

12? When I joined the drinking classes they still shut from 2.30 until 5, then again at 10.30.

Here in North America there has also been a spike in opiod related deaths with one of the main culprits being a new breed of synthetic opiods (similar to Fentanyl) that are hundreds of times more potent than Heroin, Morphine, or other oldschool opiods.  People taking them often have no idea how strong they are, partially because due to the dubious nature of the drugs the strength can vary widely from pill to pill, and the human body simply can't handle that kind of toxic shock.  Not sure if the same sort of crazy synthetic opiods have made in to Scotland but it could also be a contributing factor to the number of deaths.

Here in North America there has also been a spike in opiod related deaths with one of the main culprits being a new breed of synthetic opiods (similar to Fentanyl) that are hundreds of times more potent than Heroin, Morphine, or other oldschool opiods.  People taking them often have no idea how strong they are, partially because due to the dubious nature of the drugs the strength can vary widely from pill to pill, and the human body simply can't handle that kind of toxic shock.  Not sure if the same sort of crazy synthetic opiods have made in to Scotland but it could also be a contributing factor to the number of deaths.

I watched a documentary recently and part of it was about dealers lacing their heroin with fentanyl, scary stuff. The best of it is, after a few junkies died from fentanyl laced smack all the other junkies on the area flocked to the dodgy dealer, thinking that his heroin must be strong and of really good quality.

5 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I watched a documentary recently and part of it was about dealers lacing their heroin with fentanyl, scary stuff. The best of it is, after a few junkies died from fentanyl laced smack all the other junkies on the area flocked to the dodgy dealer, thinking that his heroin must be strong and of really good quality.

The dealers probably don't bother with heroin if they can get hold of fentanyl. Much easier to get hold of without dealing with dodgy gangsters.

20 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

There have also been reports of dealers lacing cocaine with fentanyl as well, which seems a bit counterproductive as a business model

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

"Oot their tits". I don't think you know what weed is.

Idd.

Most times I've done weed I've just wanted to go to sleep. Woken up and tanned a bag of Space Raiders.

12 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Doing ching off the lid of a lavvy pan isn’t going to get people hooked on heroin.

Giving people a course of opioids as prescription medicine will. That is messed up, especially when they give it to kids.

Never heard of docs giving kids tramadol or the like. Is this an American thing?

• 1 year later...

This years figures are due to be announced today and are expected to show a further rise to over 1,000.  Scottish Government public health minister has said that the issue is an "emergency", which seems to be the latest thing that politicians say.

The BBC website has an unbelievable story about a woman from Glenrothes who lost her mother, father, brother and two sisters to drugs, either heroin or opiates.  Absolutely awful - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48993861

This years figures are due to be announced today and are expected to show a further rise to over 1,000.  Scottish Government public health minister has said that the issue is an "emergency", which seems to be the latest thing that politicians say.
The BBC website has an unbelievable story about a woman from Glenrothes who lost her mother, father, brother and two sisters to drugs, either heroin or opiates.  Absolutely awful - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48993861

Emergency does seem to be the politicians new favourite word. Is the use of the word ‘emergency’ to try and get a reaction because the public are so disengaged from minor issues like this?

Personally, I don’t care. It’s not something I can change. An emergency is when I can’t get food or water, or the electricity goes off.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if the Scottish Government decides that legalisation is part of the way to tackle it, it would have the power to do so?

It doesn't.

This years figures are due to be announced today and are expected to show a further rise to over 1,000.  Scottish Government public health minister has said that the issue is an "emergency", which seems to be the latest thing that politicians say. The BBC website has an unbelievable story about a woman from Glenrothes who lost her mother, father, brother and two sisters to drugs, either heroin or opiates.  Absolutely awful - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48993861

Posted this link on the Junkies in Glasgow City centre thread.

http://www.sdf.org.uk/warning-issued-over-street-valium-in-glasgow-as-deaths-increase/

Some industrial strength Valium and similar drugs have been doing the rounds, there are over 20 deaths in Glasgow alone thought to have been caused by that.