Will the best team win?

Fullerene

Will the best author win the Booker prize?  Why are you asking me?
With most book that win that prize - I struggle to get past page 1.

Does the best film win the Oscar?
In other words - is Green zone better than Avatar?
I mean seriously?

Back on topic.  Is it possible for a team to fluke it to the end at the World Cup?

Personally I would say no.  Once we get there - whoever wins it - deserves to win it.

I say this with reference to those people who are slightly closer to the equator than here.

I say this because some people on  this forum are getting themselves in knots at the idea that our southern neighbours might wing it.

I don't see the fuss.

Either they will prove themselves to be the best team in the tournament - Suggestion - now.
OR they won't win it.

.. I wonder if anyone has an opinion here.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece weren’t the best team at the 2004 Euros and Portugal weren’t the best team at the 2016 Euros. An inferior team can definitely win the World Cup.

And I’ve never seen Green Zone but Avatar was a shite film. Give me Fern Gully any day.

Probably should post this on the 'Things That Don't Particularly Make Sense' thread, but James Cameron is working on four sequels to Avatar.

Hands up all the folk who've been eagerly awaiting a sequel to Avatar for the past decade  :unsure:

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

the world cup is exactly that-a cup and we all know that while the best team always wins the league that doesn't hold true of cups.you have to be decent to win it but over a mere 7 games luck can come into it too

Well that's England fucked, Gary Linekar says they never get any luck at the World Cup.

It can happen but I don’t think it will this World Cup. France and Belgium both have more than enough experience in their sides to beat any of Croatia, Sweden, England or Russia, however these sides choose to play.

48 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Well that's England fucked, Gary Linekar says they never get any luck at the World Cup.

they've had nothing but good luck in this tournament, everythings gone right for them which is why ive a horrible feeling theyre winning it:(

Of course the best team doesn't always necessarily win it.

Of the teams left in it, France or Belgium, probably look the best. With Croatia possibly best of the rest, then England.

If Croatia or England scrape into the final and then fluke a draw against France or Belgium and win on penalties, it certainly wouldn't make them the best team in the world. And almost nobody outside of those countries would think that.

Hell, it's not out of the question that Sweden or Russia could get there by grinding out 0-0s and getting the odd goal from a set piece or penalty.

The Brazil team of 82 is the reason that the answer to this question is not always....

Add to that the various Dutch sides throughout the years .

I think that's why football will always be the greatest game , it's far less predictable than the other sports.

I think that's why football will always be the greatest game , it's far less predictable than the other sports.

That's extremely debatable. For example the bookies seem to think that baseball is a far less predictable game.

Archived