Croatia v England - semi final

banana

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

A nation continuing to revel in the failure of another nation despite voting to retain ties with said nation. Pathetic.

I voted to remain in the EU so why shouldn't I support Croatia?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sir Harry of Kaneshire hitting the post from about 2cm out has to be one of the highlights of this World Cup.

”Big gun”.

Only knock-out goals should count towards a Golden Boot, or at a stretch, goals against the top seed during the Group Stages, Harry's Golden Boot will go down as the absolute worst in World Cup history (although I'll make £200 on the back of it ^_^)

Only the second Englishman to score three-goals in a World Cup finals match though ... the other, of course, being Gary Lineker.

They can't have any complaints really.  Thought they shaded the first half - easily better for the opening period before letting Croatia come back into it.  From the moment they stepped out in the second half they looked genuinely afraid.  Croatia grew and grew, easily dominated the game, and once they scored it looked like there were only two outcomes - England survived long enough to take it to penalties or Croatia won.  They got the latter.  Kane was largely anonymous, as were a lot of the players, but it was just the fear that seemed to be running through them that really stuck out.  Croatia maybe felt that early on, but got over it.  

This feels different to normal though.  Usually there's something in it.  "We had a goal disallowed", "Beckham got sent off", "we were so close".  This time though, it wasn't like that, and they should feel all the better for it.  They simply came up against a team that were a match for them, went toe-to-toe, and they lost.  I don't think there's really anything for them to be ashamed about, they just weren't good enough.  Last 4 is over-achieving for them, and if they're sensible they can go on and actually make something out of it.

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

A nation continuing to revel in the failure of another nation despite voting to retain ties with said nation. Pathetic.

Someone hating their own country so much they love their neighbouring country's cock.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

They've exceeded pre-tournament expectations, but the way the draw has opened up, they should be ruing a missed opportunity to win the thing.

I suspect they are.

17 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Only knock-out goals should count towards a Golden Boot, or at a stretch, goals against the top seed during the Group Stages, Harry's Golden Boot will go down as the absolute worst in World Cup history (although I'll make £200 on the back of it ^_^)

Only the second Englishman to score three-goals in a World Cup finals match though ... the other, of course, being Gary Lineker.

Do goals in the 3rd place play off not count?

Lukaku could easily get a couple on Saturday if he plays and decides to turn up.

There was an item on the BBC Website (now presumably removed) on what might happen if England won the World Cup. I've blotted out the worst excesses but as I recall it was predictable stuff like a knighthood for Southgate, honours all round, appearances on the chat shows and stuff like that. For the past few weeks I've been living with the nightmare scenario of this coming true. The thought would emerge at odd moments - I'd be getting on the bus and suddenly think, "Oh god, what if they win it?" I'd look out the window and think, "It's going to be a nice day - but what if they win it?" I kept trying to persuade myself that with everything else going on in the world it wouldn't matter THAT much, but without success.

Since last night everything has changed. The thought that keeps emerging is "They're out!" Look at the weather and think, "Bit cloudy - but never mind, they're out!" Stick the bacon on for the breakfast rolls - "They're OUT!"

Life is fine.

Watched the game in the lounge of a cruise ship in Dubrovnik last night surrounded by the English. Had one of my finer moments when Croatia equalised and I stood up and shouted “It’s coming home lads, footballs coming home” Stunned silence but nothing compared to the winner when I felt obliged to stand up up roar and ask if anyone wished a hanky.  Much unhappiness and was told by a few that I should have been supporting “the team” aye right.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Lukaku could easily get a couple on Saturday if he plays and decides to turn up.

I have seperate bets on Lukaku top Belgium scorer and top tournament scorer. I've been paid out on the first one which is making me think any 3/4 play off goals don't count. Why wouldn't they though?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

3rd place does indeed count, and if Lukaku scores 2 he'll take the Golden Boot as penalties/assists come into it.

I'm as confident as Clive Tyldesley ahead of an England game that he won't though.

:unsure::unsure2::ph34r:

Watched the game in the lounge of a cruise ship in Dubrovnik last night surrounded by the English. Had one of my finer moments when Croatia equalised and I stood up and shouted “It’s coming home lads, footballs coming home” Stunned silence but nothing compared to the winner when I felt obliged to stand up up roar and ask if anyone wished a hanky.  Much unhappiness and was told by a few that I should have been supporting “the team” aye right.

Fucking right. I asked a few if the tables were turned would they support Scotland, and you can just imagine the looks on their faces as they tried to cobble together the barefaced lie that they would support Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

3rd place does indeed count, and if Lukaku scores 2 he'll take the Golden Boot as penalties/assists come into it.

I'm as confident as Clive Tyldesley ahead of an England game that he won't though.

:unsure::unsure2::ph34r:

My understanding is assists only come in if there's a tie, and if it's still a tie it then goes down to how many minutes per goal?

Would just like to add a massive GET IT RIGHT FUCKING UP YA to that quisling moron Ross Thomson, who as well as being a vile Tory and an unashamed bootlicker of anyone and anything Brexit, also doesn’t have the ability to spell “lion” correctly.

IMG_4589.jpg

I really hope last night hurt the gammon in training.

.imageproxy.jpeg

5 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Fucking right. I asked a few if the tables were turned would they support Scotland, and you can just imagine the looks on their faces as they tried to cobble together the barefaced lie that they would support Scotland.

To his credit, Mike Bushell on BBC's Breakfast had a boyhood scrapbook of Scotland's 1978 'adventure'.

Oh f**ck it, here goes, I'll admit to 'supporting' England in 1966 up until they actually won it and I woke up to reality.  :wacko:

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

What has voting got to with anything! If you don't like rivalries in football then don't watch football. The only thing that comes close to your own team winning is your rivals getting shafted out of a cup.  Did you greet at the English when they were laughing at Germany getting dumped out?

Archived